SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
sound silly question but how do you change the front right signal bulb w/o taking the car apart?
My hands definitely do not fit there to grab the bulb socket.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
as far as I remember lot of swearing involved (large hands). I think I disconnected wires in the area as well and unclip the cable running near by.. good luck. also use gloves - less chances for scratches

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Find someone with small hands or remove the bumper cover and pull the headlight. I spent more time replacing it the first time, than it takes to get the headlight out. Once it's out, replace all the bulbs. Best to do both lights. Should be good for a long time. Bulbs are cheap at RA.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Just take the bumper off. It’s easier and faster. I used to look at p2 and swear about the process but it’s actually very clever and makes doing little bullsh*t like changing bulbs slightly longer but easier and with less risk of damaging the bulb or the housing.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I agree with the others about taking the bumper cover off and pulling the headlight assembly out to access the bulb socket. I asked the same question a year or so ago and got the same responses, but didn't follow the recommendation.

I didn't want to take the bumper cover off, so I messed around with the bulb and finally, using some long needle nose pliers, I was able to get the socket removed, swapped the bulb, then worked for a LONG time to get the socket re-installed. Prolly spent two hours working on removing then reinstalling the bulb socket. Then a few months later, after the first rain storm, the right headlight filled up with water and the HID headlight failed. So at this point I had to take the bumper cover off and remove the headlight assembly completely to replace the HID ballast. During that process, I found the turn signal socket was not fully seated, which allowed water into the headlight housing and ruin the ballast.

So bottom line is I didn't follow the recommendations and ended up spending a LOT of time and a LOT of money that I didn't need to had I followed the recommendations (new HID ballast was over $50).

There just isn't any way to access that bulb socket without pulling the headlight assembly, which took me maybe 20 minutes after I bought a new HID ballast.

IMG_4503.jpg

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

I have large hands to and I managed to do it frustration free but it took a little bit of time. Here is a PDF describing what I've done.

Tips:
1. make space
2. know how they should came apart before forcing anything. This is plastic and it is getting old due to years in service and high temps under the hood.
3. Use the paint marks - saves you a lot of frustration.
4. Use a bit of fluid on the socket gasket and even a child then can easily turn the socket.

P.S. no bumper, lamp, or windshield fluid bottle was removed in the process, no gloves and no cuts to my hands :)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts