SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time posting on these forums, my name's Scott, and I hope to be posting on these forums often, helping people when I can. Anyway I am seriously considering purchasing Bilstein shocks for my 1998 s70 t5, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with installing these shocks. It looks as though the shock is inside the spring, but I am not sure if I would have to remove the spring or not. Does anyone know how difficult a job this would be? thanks<P>

·
Registered
528 Posts
Scott -<P>Welcome to the boards!<P>Sorry I'm of no help to you with the S70, but I saw in your sig that you have an 1800e....and it got me all misty-eyed. I had a 1966 P1800S that I added Bilsteins to. I've also put them on my 1993 Toyota pickup. I LOVE those shocks. They are by far the most effective handling improvement I've done to any car. Followed next by tires and sway bars. Of course in my case they sort of made the vehicles in question handle like go-karts (you get around the corners great, but at the expense of your teeth). I think on a heavier car like the S70, they would just be fantastic though.<P>Hey, I also see you're right around the figurative corner from me in Danville.<P>- Darell<P>

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed that you have the same car as I (1998 S70 T5). I was wondering if the chip/exhaust updgrades gave you a noticibly better response?<P>I have all the IPD Handling upgrades....the shocks/sport springs/sway bars/strut brace are awesome!<P>AVB

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is interesting that you have done the suspension work, because I hope to get that done in the near future. The chip and exhaust changed the car immensly. When you push the peddle down, you are thrust back into your seat, it was quite a surprise the first time I did it. The great thing is that, if you don't want to drive like a maniac, you don't have to, because if you don't push it the car acts similarly to how it did stock. Our t5 has a manual transmission, and it can be very tricky to get a good start off the line, because of excess wheel spin. I think that high performance tires would make a difference, and I plan on putting those on soon. But the chip and exhaust seem to be a well worthy investment when you think about the 50 hp that is adds, and I believe that it is in fact 50 hp. Did you get new wheels and tires, when you did the suspension work, and did you do the work yourself. Also, how dramatic was the improvement in handeling, because right now there is a great deal of body roll, and it just doesn't feel very tight. I still love the car of course, but I was wondering what your impressions of the suspension work was. Thanks. <P> <P>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts