SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.
I am in the process of replacing a leaky power steering pump and leaky valve cover gaskets on an 05 with the V8 and 136,000 miles on it. Bad leak on back side of rear valve cover. As I was taking parts off per Vidas instructions (I am taking lots of photos along way to create a guide when finished) I noticed my PCV Valve had lots of oily dirt around it before I ever touched it. Also noticed large hose into PCV Valve has Crack innit going into valve. New hose on order with gaskets. Wondering how to test valve or can I assume this is from cracked hose. When engine was running I had suction on filler cap. You can see Crack in the photo I hope is attached.

I am wondering if there is a way to test PCV Valve before putting it back together in a week or 2. Waiting on parts presently.
Thanks in advance.
Robert Rike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey.
I am in the process of replacing a leaky power steering pump and leaky valve cover gaskets on an 05 with the V8 and 136,000 miles on it. Bad leak on back side of rear valve cover. As I was taking parts off per Vidas instructions (I am taking lots of photos along way to create a guide when finished) I noticed my PCV Valve had lots of oily dirt around it before I ever touched it. Also noticed large hose into PCV Valve has Crack innit going into valve. New hose on order with gaskets. Wondering how to test valve or can I assume this is from cracked hose. When engine was running I had suction on filler cap. You can see Crack in the photo I hope is attached.

I am wondering if there is a way to test PCV Valve before putting it back together in a week or 2. Waiting on parts presently.
Thanks in advance.
Robert Rike

I would not call it a valve and call it an oil trap at most. The cracked hose needs to be replaced. It may be worth your while to pour some thin liquid (rubbing alcohol, acetone, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, etc) through it to make sure that it is not cracked near the circle. My guess it is just oil residue from the leaks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. New hose is on the way along with one between the two heads that connects heads for ventilation. I will try the alcohol in it to see if there is any obstruction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks. Im trying to change my pcv because I have incredible vaccum in my v8 2006 xc 90 crankcase. Can you tell me where I can find the PCV under the hood?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PCV Valve is on backside of engine, drivers side just behind throttle body as seen in this picture. Probably have to take engine/strut tower brace off for easier access. There are two 10mm screws that hold it in intake and one hose with spring clamp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts