SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really stupid question, when do you know it is time to change pads? I am starting to get some screeching from the front brakes when I come to a near stop. Is there a visually inspection that will help determine if the pads need to be swapped out? Thanks for helping me out.<P>p.s. After installing the front bumper myself I have decided I will handle all the little things myself....ie brakes(that is why I am asking)<p>[This message has been edited by volvos70turbo (edited 08-20-2002).]

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by volvos70turbo:<BR><B>I have a really stupid question, when do you know it is time to change pads? I am starting to get some screeching from the front brakes when I come to a near stop. Is there a visually inspection that will help determine if the pads need to be swapped out? Thanks for helping me out.<P>p.s. After installing the front bumper myself I have decided I will handle all the little things myself....ie brakes(that is why I am asking)<P>[This message has been edited by volvos70turbo (edited 08-20-2002).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you have alloy wheels it is very easy, you do not have to remove the wheel. All you have to do is look for the pad, between the caliper and the rotor. You should see the pad, which is dark color. You should have at least 1/16 of an inch in thickness. If it is very thin (just a sliver) then you will need to change the pad.<P>Many pads have a wear indicator, meaning that there is a little piece of metal embedded in their center. When the pad is about to wear out, the tip of that metal comes in contact with the rotor which in turn causes a "screeching" noise to be heard. Of course, if you have worn the pad out completely, then the caliper will be scraping against the rotor but that sound is pretty distinct anyway.<P>Are your rotors scoured?<P><BR>Yannis<P>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts