SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. my last hope of figuring out the dang squeeking noise from under the car. Don at Evolve gave me some lube and bushings to try after taking a ride in the car. I'm now in Dallas for a few weeks on business and I asked a local dealer the cost of changing them out. They came back with a price starting at 250.00 and at least 2 hours of tech time. They claim they have to lower the sub frame.<p>Now I know from experience that is true for putting in the complete sway bar, but I'm just doing the bushing. If anyone hasn't seen these...and I'm scrabbling around for my camera tonight, they are a split peice of teflon plastic with a bracket held by 2 bolts. I figure the replacement will be unbolting the 2 bolts, pulling the old bushing out, sliding the new one in, tightening the 2 bolts. Probably 15 minutes in my mind with the car in the air.<p>Am I missing something here with the tech saying he needs to lowering the sub frame? If not, I'm getting under the car in the next couple of nights and doing it myself or trying a different dealer.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
you don't need to lower crap to swap the bushings.<p>i too had squeeking from my sway bars...and I got that "special" grease from Don....and my mechanic added it to the rear bar while I watched. it helps to have the car on a lift....and it took all of a few minutes.<p>

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: Changing out Sway Bar Bushings (KillerB)

Front or rear bar? Rear bar is EASY without any removal for bushings..Front is a bit tougher but COULD be done<br>

·
Registered
14 Posts

If you just drop the sub frame in rear by the rack, it shouldn't be that bad. You really don't have to support anything the weight of the motor should drop it enough to get your hands in there to swap them out, as long as they are a 2 piece bushing with a bracket.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Changing out Sway Bar Bushings (cschmelz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>cschmelz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Front or rear bar? Rear bar is EASY without any removal for bushings..Front is a bit tougher but COULD be done<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>It's the front, I see the bolts everytime I swap my rims and tires for the track. Even had my hands on the bushing looking at it. Just thought maybe there was going to be a snap or surprise when the bolts come off.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (23109VC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>23109VC</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't need to lower crap to swap the bushings.<p>i too had squeeking from my sway bars...and I got that "special" grease from Don....and my mechanic added it to the rear bar while I watched. it helps to have the car on a lift....and it took all of a few minutes.<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>He gave me the grease until I gave him a spin...then he gave me the bushings. It's really bad right now...really bad.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I have the Evolve sway bars and the creaking noise was very bad. I dropped the front twice. Once to put in new sways, 2nd time to regrease. Still creaked and groaned after a little time. <p>In desperation I installed IPD bushes and brackets (available as a seperate part) but kept Evolve sway bars and just like magic no more creaks or groans (1,000miles now).<p>To change bushes and brackets you need to lower back part of subframe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts