SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first SwedeSpeed post as I get ready to order my very first Volvo, an XC40! Shooting for an OSD trip late September, but had a question about the ordering process.
I had been in talks with Bob Kennedy as he came highly recommended on this forum. Communicated a few months ago about setting up an order for the XC40 when the 2020s were released, and then followed up with him this week about getting the order started.
He requested that I call him to discuss questions, but unfortunately I worked a 12 hour shift and wasn't able to catch him before the weekend. This AM I had an email from him saying that now unless I live in his market (which we had already discussed that I live in Nashville, TN,) he wouldn't be able to do my order.

Definitely bummed since I was under the impression that many people have ordered through him despite not living in NC. Is this the new process for OSD? I'm on a work assignment that has me in MA quite a bit right now, so not sure where I should be looking to order through (Nashville vs. Boston area?)

Any advice much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
First I heard of such “change”...
At any rate, why not order from him and drive it back to TN. It’s only a 6 hr drive...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First I heard of such “change”...
At any rate, why not order from him and drive it back to TN. It’s only a 6 hr drive...
That was the plan, I was going to pick the car up in Charlotte and drive it back to TN. Now he’s saying that since I don’t live in his market area, he can’t place my order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I heard there was a change for the 2020 model year that the ordering dealer also had to be the delivery dealer...
That makes sense, but we had already discussed me coming to Charlotte to pick up the car. Sounds like now if you aren’t a resident of that market area, they can’t place an order for you?

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you do your research, your local dealer just writes the order and takes your money and not much else. It takes about an hour to sign the paperwork. Why travel since you won't go back there for future service?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do your research, your local dealer just writes the order and takes your money and not much else. It takes about an hour to sign the paperwork. Why travel since you won't go back there for future service?
Well that’s what I’ll end up doing. I just had planned on going with Bob since so many people said the experience was fantastic, and well worth traveling for. I know someone who had a terrible OSD experience, and since this is my first, I want a dealer with a great track record. Hopefully everything will go smoothly!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I know someone who had a terrible OSD experience, and since this is my first, I want a dealer with a great track record. Hopefully everything will go smoothly!
There are always horror stories, but fortunately they are very few.
When I did my first OSD last year I was nervous about it just like you. So I figured I'd just go talk to local dealers and see if I found one who made me feel comfortable.

As it turned out, the first guy I talked to at the first dealership I visited was the right one. I asked him how familiar he was with OSD and he said "I've been doing them for 15 years and I've done two of them myself for my own cars."

That was good enough for me, and in fact it was a smooth, flawless experience. Here's hoping you'll be just as lucky!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought I heard there was a change for the 2020 model year that the ordering dealer also had to be the delivery dealer...
Can anyone confirm this change in the OSD program? How would one even find out about this change?

We ordered from a California Volvo dealer and took delivery in NJ. Hoping this isn't the case as NJ Volvo folks are not 100% up to speed on OSDs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can anyone confirm this change in the OSD program? How would one even find out about this change?

We ordered from a California Volvo dealer and took delivery in NJ. Hoping this isn't the case as NJ Volvo folks are not 100% up to speed on OSDs.
I've been looking for data to back this statement up and have been unable to do so. I reached out the Customer Care to confirm. I will update once I hear back. I don't want to be responsible for false info being out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
And just heard back. Looks to be correct.

My email

There is a thread online regarding possible changes to the OSD program for 2020. Someone was told that they were no longer able to order from a dealer not where they lived. Essentially, the ordering dealer must also be the receiving dealer, meaning if you live in New Jersey you cannot order from a dealer in Tennessee and have it shipped back to New Jersey. Is this information correct? Wanted to make sure incorrect info wasn't being shared out.
Response

Thank you for contacting Volvo Car Customer Care.

This information is correct.

Med vänliga hälsningar

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you have an already accepted order, then I expect it will be honored. You are “protected”. This is how Volvo has handled process changes in the past.

New orders appear to now be done through a dealer where you want the Volvo delivered. That’s too bad. I suppose there were dealer complaints?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually the way the question was asked and answered about shipping back. How about pickup at out of state dealer and drive it home? Or have we read you must show proof of address in same state as osd ordering dealer even if you are willing to drive it home from there?

·
Registered
443 Posts
O I hope this isn't in effect yet. I signed the papers with William from CA and live in NY at the end of the island. This would be baaaaad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some additional follow up:

Great thanks. Quick follow up then. Are you limited to your closet dealer then or can you move out of your local market? Meaning, can one order and take delivery from a dealer in California if you live in Florida?
You must order your vehicle from a local dealer in your area in order to take delivery

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I exhausted all my options with the out-of-state business end ended up placing my order from a TN dealer. My legal residence is in Nashville, so that was the only option for ordering per the several people at Volvo that I spoke with. Planning on traveling to Sweden at the end of September, and then will simply drive the car to my current residence in Boston once it’s delivered to Nashville. Not worth changing my residency since I’ll be back in Nashville full time next year. Stinks that it’s extra hassle than it used to be, but not much I could do about it!

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
This issue is..... if I Place an XC40 OSD order out of my market....the unit comes out of my future allocations.
What that means is it cost me a future unit on the lot.
Example... if I get allocated 10 XC40’s...and I do 6 XC40 OSD orders..... I only have 4 units on the ground to sell in my local market.
So until the supply....catches up with the demand...and Volvo doesn’t take my OSD XC40’s from my future allocations, this is how things are playing out. Hopefully....this issue will resolve itself when inventories and production increase

1 - 18 of 18 Posts