SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done changing the front brake pads on the V70. Some lessons and observations:

1) It really is easy to change the brake pads in the R. I encourage any accomplished shade tree mechanic to do it.

2) The only tools you need are a jack, jackstands, lug wrench (and breaker bar to undo the gorilla 6,000 lb-ft of torque that the dealer used to put the wheels on last time they rotated your tires, a hammer, a punch, and a screwdriver Oh, beer helps. And rags, LOTS of rags.

3) The only thing that the stock jack is good for is a workout. Don't be cheap and buy a real floor jack. It will raise the car. Eventually. Your blood pressure and breathing might give out before the car makes it all the way up.

4) Your 4 ton jackstands are too tall to fit under the R and put in the correct, Jim Lill approved locations after you jack it up with the stock jack. You will discover this AFTER getting a hernia jacking the car up. Much cursing will ensue.

5) The stock jack on a piece of 2x6 wil allow you to put the jackstands in the correct location.

6) Now is a good time to rotate the tires, since the very strange stock jack locations foce you to raise the ENTIRE SIDE of the car at once. No wonder the jack is a workout.

7) You will only discover after you have done the first side, lowered the car, raised the other side, taken off BOTH wheels, removed the pads, and greased and inserted the pad, that one of the pads you put in on the other side of the car is in backwards. Yes, the pads are directional, as indicated by an arrow, but since the inboard pad has to be reversed from the way you look at it before you put it in, you will screw it up. Because you are too tired from jacking up the car to notice you screwed it up.

8) You will only notice after you have put in the pads and shims that there is a big bold statment on the instructions (yes the stock pads come with instructions in more languages you know existed) that says "Do not instal the windowpane shim if your car is equipped with the dampeners or after VIN #xxxxx.

9) You will learn that the stock pegs are VERY soft, and if you even think about dropping the lug wrench, you WILL nick the face of the spokes.

10) When you are done your hands will be blacker than the inside of a Coal Mine.

Now I know why dealer technicians work on cars on a lift!

Seriously, the whole thing would have taken less than an hour with a real jack and if I wasn't too tired to have figured out that I put the wrong pad on the one side.

Many thanks too all those who provided IM support for this project!

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you drive your R upon some boards that is aprox 2" in height and maybe 6" wide your garage jack (floor jack) will fit.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Rick_K)

Quote, originally posted by Rick_K »
If you drive your R upon some boards that is aprox 2" in height and maybe 6" wide your garage jack (floor jack) will fit.

Wasn't a question of it fitting, it was a question of having one. I lived in apartments for the last 6 years until September, so I have never had any space for a jack.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: (needsdecaf)

ROFL - great write up. I needed the grin this AM. That sounds about how any of my car projects go.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Re: Changed the front Brakes - Lessons Learned (needsdecaf)

Great write-up!

The best part - the opportunity cost of you doing this exercise instead of doing your real job far exceeds the cost of the most expenseive dealer performing the same task....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: Changed the front Brakes - Lessons Learned (FastWgn)

Quote, originally posted by FastWgn »
The best part - the opportunity cost of you doing this exercise instead of doing your real job far exceeds the cost of the most expenseive dealer performing the same task....

Not to mention - in my case - the peace of mind that it's done right, or somebody else has to fix it. I'd be constantly worrying that *maybe* I didn't only put one pad in backwards. What's that squeek?!

·
Registered
14,136 Posts
Re: Changed the front Brakes - Lessons Learned (needsdecaf)

Good write-up. I have done brake work on the last two Volvos- this one seems just as easy. Not sure if I saw this but which pads did you get? The stock jack on these cars is dangerous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts