SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some may have heard I was planning to jump ship and grab a 335i, but after doing tons of research and talking with BMW mechanics it's just not the right choice for me. I don't feel up to dumping endless money in up keep for N54 motor.

Instead I am looking for an AWD S40 to do a turbo upgrade on... And pretty much everything else I originally sought out to do with my current S40. Must be a manual of course. If you guys see any in your area let me know, I'm willing to travel out of state (preferably not east coast).

If all goes to plan will be doing a few innovative concepts including widened front fenders, Recaro seats, bolt pattern change, and likely a GT35R :eek:

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Sounds awesome! :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
what are you planning on doing about the fragile haldex? I think you would be the first person to test the limits can't wait to see what you do with it!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was concerned until I read the PCP C30 used the V50 awd system, with the power and abuse they put to that car I can't imagine the haldex won't hold up. Plus by going larger turbo with less torque hopefully the drivetrain will handle the beating lol. Won't be launching it too often aside from some trips to the 1320.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Speculating by the mods that you will be doing, are you looking for an older one like a 2005 or 2006, or will something newer like a 2010 work for you? Price range?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2007 would be optimal, aux option while maintaining pre-facelift and reasonably priced. Looking for something under 18k so likely rules out 08 and newer stuff, around 12-15 is ideal.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Good stuff, Kyle. Very exciting that you'll be staying with an S40. :thumbup:
I agree the Haldex unit should be just fine but what about the angle gear/collar. That's where the R guys get most of the AWD failures from.

·
Registered
808 Posts
2007 would be optimal, aux option while maintaining pre-facelift and reasonably priced. Looking for something under 18k so likely rules out 08 and newer stuff, around 12-15 is ideal.
Ok, then the one I had in mind won't work for you. It's a 2010 R-Design, AWD, Manual, Titanium grey, but priced $10k higher than your price range. East coast.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The coupler is another story, I've never had to replace one on a P1... So either the under powered chassis doesn't wear them out or they are better designed. From the high powered AWD guys on here I'd imagine it's the latter. I think there are many features of the P1 that is better designed than the P2 thus the much lower cost of ownership.

The idea is at some point I would like to do a symmetrical awd system, having OE awd will make that 10x easier in the future.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Myself going from an '05 P1 car to an '05 P2 car I do have to lean in the same direction about the P1's being much better designed. I just wasn't sure if the AWD was based on the dated P2 Haldex AWD where you don't get AWD till the Haldex detects wheel spin or if the P1 gets the "pre-loaded" Haldex system of the latter P2 cars.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
this thread is full of WIN

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I think they are a second generation past what's on the R's and it is better designed, I have not grenaded mine yet. I just got another software revision this week from Autotech, car is running awesome.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's great to hear, and if it comes down to it and K16 is the way I go then at least I know you have worked out most of the bugs haha. Being able to jump into the Autotech tune would be much easier. I saw that Rica has a tune for a turbo upgrade such as the GT3076 but I haven't heard much regarding their technical support when it comes to more custom setups.

Have you got those cams in Chris?

Thinking maybe if the cams are the way to go then buying another head and doing some port work in the process may be necessary. For the most part I don't think I will go that far into it. Looking into more power but more so building " The Ultimate Driving Machine" pun definitely intended lol. Thus more rounded vehicle catered to my driving habits, aka freeway rips on the commute, handle the twisties in the summer, and mob the snow come winter season.

I guess I better adapt those Advans I bought for a BMW lol, whoops.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Cams are not in yet, I'm waiting for a software revision for them, which will be forthcoming. Besides I'm been too busy building the other beast, an '82 242 GLT, with a small block V8, I just finished the suspension on the 242, HD Bilstein shocks and struts, Moog balljoints & tie rods, springs, strut mounts, IPD adjustable panhard bar and torque rods, paint is done, I just got brackets to mount RX7 calipers and 940 rotors, I traded some wheels for a set of pristene heated front seats and matching rear seat out of a newer 240 volvo. I'll pull the motor next and start addressing power after everything else is done, power is always last.
I'll go back to the V50 soon enough, cams will perk it up a bit, 30 hp across the board, with the latest software revision, it's plenty fast now, way faster than the lighter 242 with a V8.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have u dyno'd it yet, I know numbers are relative but I'm curious how much ur putting down at the moment.

I wanna see 11's and 400whp as an end result. Realistically I will do stock dyno to complete dyno comparison for a better feel for power gains.

Starting from stock is gonna be a lot to tackle since I will likely do the suspension, wheels, and sound system first for DD use. Plus I wanna see how long the stock clutch lasts on a turbo upgrade haha. Testing limits is half the fun.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i can't wait to see this happen!

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Seems like the "old timers" are either dumping off their S40s or picking up another one as a project car :D I can't wait to see what you do!

Have you considered going with a V50 or C30, or do you want to have two S40s?

·
Registered
839 Posts
YES!!!
this is going to be amazing
are you planning on selling your FWD once you source an AWD? because i uh, *cough cough* know someone who might be able to help you with your AM parts ;)

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will be rocking twin 40's haha. Other guys a keeper, she hasn't had any major issues since the day I bought it 50k miles ago pass it to the wife once I lock down the AWD unit.

If the C30 were cheaper and could source a cheap donor AWD system a PCP replica may have come to light. Starting with the AWD platform will be much easier. I'm only gonna rob a few parts off the current whip, everything else is an open canvas to try some new stuff, including even the intercooler which will be a 2.5" hot side this time around.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
:beer::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts