SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new in this community. I have a Volvo S40 2.4i 2007 standar model. I wanna know if theres any problem if I change the CD head for a MP3 CD head? :D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Didn't know that was possible but you can install an aftermarket unit. I just did but it is a bit bigger of a job than in other cars. My guess is if you a are swapping a later model unit there will be software updates needed to your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know that was possible but you can install an aftermarket unit. I just did but it is a bit bigger of a job than in other cars. My guess is if you a are swapping a later model unit there will be software updates needed to your car.
Thanks but I dont wanna lose the steering wheel controls. Or I dont know if its possible to install a Parrot system

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
That is a question that is intriguing. I mean just swap in a radio from a later model? Has anyone ever done that? Instead of the most route? Because if you find a late model in the scrapyard and just take out the radio? Would that work?

Gesendet von meinem C6833 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know the controls on the waterfall are quasi compatible. Meaning even a direct swap for same year and hardware often leads to a dealership visit to re initialize the controls. I think the CD drives can directly swap out for like kind. Swapping to 6cd or MP3..... I would like to see what happens. FWIW, the aux in thread has a lot of info about the cross compatibility between the different types of systems.

As far as keeping the steering controls with aftermarket. ... I think ours are CAN and hence digital. The aftermarket stuff is not going to work unless I can find a good hack.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
IIRC it's not possible to just swap. The unit is for your car and your car only, doesn't matter if you find one from a car with same year, engine, accessories, milage, wear and tear etc etc. Some say (hehe, Top Gear...) that even the dealer can't swap it and get it to work. Don't know what they'll do if your unit breaks but I guess they'll just try to repair it?
Either way I think we'd seen a lot of these swap threads over the years if it indeed was possible.

·
Registered
297 Posts
IIRC it's not possible to just swap. The unit is for your car and your car only, doesn't matter if you find one from a car with same year, engine, accessories, milage, wear and tear etc etc. Some say (hehe, Top Gear...) that even the dealer can't swap it and get it to work. Don't know what they'll do if your unit breaks but I guess they'll just try to repair it?
Either way I think we'd seen a lot of these swap threads over the years if it indeed was possible.
So my radio is like a piece of the car, and from what I read is in a symbiotic relationship with my car on a can bus level? So ripping it out would be like ripping my arm out so to speak?
Ah well, what gives, I actually enjoy putting together some CDs. And since I am lucky to have the high performance option I frankly can live with that.
Also props for the top gear reference

Gesendet von meinem C6833 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes. It is quite integrated. However, it is possible to work around that and bypass the MOST and CAN data so the rest of the bits in the car still work. Again, it just takes some effort. I had to use fiber optic jumpers and pull a few wires but it is not impossible. Total install time is about 8-10 hours. Set aside a weekend if plan to take it on and do a clean install.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
One: Yeah, pretty much. Canbus, ICM, IAM... you name it.
I know there's a load of people on here who could tell more in detail but we'll have to wait and see if they find this thread.

High performance here as well (with mp3) but normally I just use the AUX with a bluetooth dongle paired to my phone.

(Can't wait for Clarkson and the gang to return!) :D

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You should be able to capture the volume and steering wheel controls where they enter the SWM. If you are brave enough to pull the steering wheel off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For whats its worth. I changed my waterfall controls and water fall display without dealer trips or the need for a software update. Do your research and just pull the trigger. Make sure your connections on the back are the same. Dont spend a lot of money and also just send it back if it is a failed attempt. I have aother oem stereo on the way from ebay.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well, if you want any parts.... I have virtually the entire premium sound system and OEM nav pulled from my car. Its 6cd not MP3 though. But may be useful to see if the head units or other parts are swappable. Also have a spare set of waterfall controls from a 2008.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts