SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up a complete CF Lip from Henry @ CarbonFiberWerks. He only had CF instock, so I picked it up from him with an excellent deal that I couldn't pass up.

Typically I'm not a Carbon Fiber kind of guy, and I never thought that CF ever matched TiGrey 455 very well. And since my car has absolutely no CF on it, I didn't want to mount it exactly the way it was. So as insane as it maybe, I decided to paint it! Not completely though, keeping a small section right below the fog light grille.

So I masked the parts where I wanted the CF to show, and lightly sanded the CF epoxy clear so that the adhesion promoter would stick better. I then primered it 2 coats, sanded it lightly again with 1000 grit. Layed on 3 layers of basecoat, then removed masking tape and shot it with 5 layers of clear. Had some typical dust specs and bugs that landed on it(no I don't have a booth) but I managed to sand it out and buffed it quite nicely.

I apologize for the crappy pictures and the lighting, it's started to get dark so the pics are a little blue. I know the pics don't look it, but the lower edge along the front and right below the FMIC grille is also painted in 455 Titanium Grey. I'm sure this is a one-of-a-kind lip... thoughts?

I originally wanted to get the lip installed, but ran into a compressor problem (the single air compressing cylinder gasket decided to give up) so I couldn't get the rivet gun going. I was going to use the bolts that Henry/Lowenhart provided me, but I decided not to rush the ordeal and have it installed tomorrow instead.

So more of the install tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Overall the the finish/quality is top notch. It originally had a high polished epoxy finish, and relatively lightweight. The strength on the CF was surprisingly strong yet flexible. This would definitely be more durable compared to the FRP version.

As for fitment, I'll find out more tomorrow.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had the same idea; if I had to do CF, paint it...your paint looks good!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
CF Werks CF Lip

Nice job on the paint/CF contrast. Be very careful especially on steep driveways and the dips that come before them because you will scratch the bottom edge of the lip. The more careful you are, the longer before it happens the first time, during which, you will cringe. I eyeball every driveway before driving into it trying to find one that's safe. For me, vinyl spackling and touch up paint work wonders.

I have the CF version on a Black Sapphire VR. Been thinking about the CF mirror covers and sending the rear wing to Henry to get it wrapped in CF. Glad to know there is a stateside replacement available cuz my VST lip i$ irreplaceable.

It looks like the VST lip and it's gonna look damn good on your SR. On the '04, the ends are the same width (height?) as the plastic trim along the bottom of the caR. Gives it a uniform look all the way to the back. It will definitely enhance the appearance.

Nice.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job on the paint/CF contrast. Be very careful especially on steep driveways and the dips that come before them because you will scratch the bottom edge of the lip. The more careful you are, the longer before it happens the first time, during which, you will cringe. I eyeball every driveway before driving into it trying to find one that's safe. For me, vinyl spackling and touch up paint work wonders.
I've been driving with winglets and I've only managed to scrape them once. After comparing both the CF Lip and Winglets, I think the Winglets are actually lower and gives less clearance compared to the CF lip. Besides, if anything I'll repair it or repaint it if anything like that happens (fingers crossed) to the new lip. My car is still running stock height (will lower the rear), but I'm going to keep the stock springs at the fronts for a while and see how it looks and see if there are any clearance issues.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Where is this on their site? I never saw this. I'd like to go this route over the winglets and center splitter.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where is this on their site? I never saw this. I'd like to go this route over the winglets and center splitter.
It's a new product. CFW hasn't updated the site with the new lip yet, but a few weeks ago Henry posted about it in the Classifieds section. It has since been removed by SS mods, but he definitely has the VST mold and can make these once the orders are placed.

The lip mold is an exact copy of the VST lip which Henry ordered from Japan (which costed him over $1000 with shipping and custom fees)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Looks like you're the lucky guy that picked up my lip! lol. I had put myself on the pre-order list, but decided I would rather a tune instead. It looks great and I'd love to see installed pics.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
that stuff sexy. good job boie!!!
Pat, i need tune also hahaha I got all the same mods as you i just need a TUNE!!!
And a short thrw shifter

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More pics up.. lol Patrick was this lip yours at one point for real?

Ok so the install went okay. I'm not entirely sure if I'm completely satisfied with the swap. One thing for sure is that I will need to repaint my entire front bumper again, the winglets used to cover up the "grey" trim area, that will need to be painted as well. And since this bumper is still sporting the old paint from factory, the clear and color of the paint is a little tired with quite a bit of scratches and paint chips all over.

Anyway, here's the pictures.

Before:

After:

And in the parking garage this morning.

LOL ignore the wipers, I was in a hurry to sand them down yesterday and didn't have black paint. So I grabbed a silver can, I'll be redoing them tonight in black.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding the fit. I had a little bit of trouble mating the bumper to the lip. Originally I had thought that the CFW Lip was a bit short, but it was actually due to my bumper being previously damaged from a parking curb, it had a slight curve at the bottom edge (despite the droop fix). It was more challenging to rivet as the lip at certain areas had quite a bit of gap.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Regarding the fit. I had a little bit of trouble mating the bumper to the lip. Originally I had thought that the CFW Lip was a bit short, but it was actually due to my bumper being previously damaged from a parking curb, it had a slight curve at the bottom edge (despite the droop fix). It was more challenging to rivet as the lip at certain areas had quite a bit of gap.
Looks outstanding! Could you please give details on the rivet/screw connecting points? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks outstanding! Could you please give details on the rivet/screw connecting points? Thanks!
For the installation, I actually removed the entire bumper and it was a lot easier to line up the sides of the lip to the wheel well areas. This would have been more challenging if on the car.
There are a few predrilled spots on the CFW lip, however you will need to drill brand new holes on the actual bumper. I would actually suggest using the OE Volvo rivets for this application rather than screws. It's difficult if you were to use screws/bolts in this application as the points near the front of the bumper are very difficult to reach because of the narrow points in the bumper;ie area near the fog light grille, front ic opening etc. Screws will likely rust out eventually whereas the rivets will not since it's rubber protected aluminum. I actually drilled a 4 more points ontop of the predrilled holes.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I dig it, and I want one. I don't need carbon fiber, as I'm going to paint the whole piece, but I want one.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the front on view but from the side/angled front on view, it looks a bit strange IMO.
Quite true, this is the only part I feel impartial about. The winglets covered better for the most part and does not have a gap between the bumper along the side near the wheel well. It's actually more apparent when viewed from the wheel well. The other thing that I notice is that the original winglets carried the "round lip" that the skirt has, and that is no longer there so it doesn't match the lines as well as I would like.

But that said, the look has grown on me and it definitely is nicer overall, it's more integrated at the front, with a lip below the intercooler area, and the new lip isn't as low as the winglets. So it's several Wins right there. There's still much to do from my part to restore the front end a bit, I do have an idea on the lip to make it even better.. I guess it's a never ending project...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I like the front on view but from the side/angled front on view, it looks a bit strange IMO.
It is different when you are used to the integrated look of the winglets. But the lip will grow on you and it does look good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So what's the verdict? Are they lower or higher than the OEM winglets? I loved my car with winglets, but took them off because they were pretty beat up. If the lip is higher and doesn't get snagged as easily as the winglets did, this could be the answer.

Love the new lip, BTW. Great Job!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.