SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about ceramic coatings on the XC90 site and am strongly inclined to get it done on my S60 after the new year. The detail shop is right around the corner from me and they have a 20% off special in place. Thoughts???

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Got a buddy who's into all that stuff and spends a lot of time in the garages of the guys who are doing it for The Guys With Lots of Money And Very Expensive Cars. Cool technology and there's a lot to be said for getting it done. Me? I hand wash, wax (Miami Shine), California Dust/Maguires spray detail regularly and the paint on my cars looks better than brand new ('cept for the few minor "character chips" it's acquired over the years). I say go for it. I'd never do it, as I like the results from cleaning my own machine...YMMV....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would do it, and in fact, I'm going to DIY one of the consumer versions soon my red S40 (ie cquartz or gloss coat). When I bought my pearl white S80 four years ago I discovered it had been coated, found something about it in the glovebox, but I was so new to coating and thought it was a fad that I discounted it and threw the paperwork away. I can't remember the product name but to this day the car still beads and looks incredible. It was probably a dealer-only applied product since the car sat for a while on a high-end Cadillac dealer's used car lot before the the indy dealer that I bought it from picked it up. If you're looking for a "set-it-and-forget-it" product I would highly recommend a coating.

·
3,899 Posts
As long as it's a reputable Detailer, go for it. All my own cars are coated, it makes winter maintmence cleaning a ton easier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just had my RD professionally detailed. My detailer quoted $700.00 for one coat application lasting two years. Not sure brand of product but I declined. For that kind of dough I'll give it my usual treatment and save $

·
3,899 Posts
I just had my RD professionally detailed. My detailer quoted $700.00 for one coat application lasting two years. Not sure brand of product but I declined. For that kind of dough I'll give it my usual treatment and save $
That's on the cheap side, unless he was just quoting you the coating and no correction.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As long as it's a reputable Detailer, go for it. All my own cars are coated, it makes winter maintmence cleaning a ton easier.
They are the only company in Missouri certified to apply Ceramic Pro 9H.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's on the cheap side, unless he was just quoting you the coating and no correction.
$700 was just to apply ceramic coating. The paint correction was done as part of my full detail which I outlined in the thread "what have you done to your s60/v60 today"?

·
3,899 Posts
$700 was just to apply ceramic coating. The paint correction was done as part of my full detail which I outlined in the thread "what have you done to your s60/v60 today"?
That's definitely steep then, I charge 250 for Cquk or 450 for cqfinest.

Just read the thread, did you pay 300 for a two step correction or did you correct it yourself. Their pricing is strange Imo. I charge 600 for a 2 step because of the hours it requires, they seem to up charge the product.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's definitely steep then, I charge 250 for Cquk or 450 for cqfinest.

Just read the thread, did you pay 300 for a two step correction or did you correct it yourself. Their pricing is strange Imo. I charge 600 for a 2 step because of the hours it requires, they seem to up charge the product.
The full detail was:

Exterior wash and clay
Cut and Polish
Sealant
Hand wax (Meg's)
Wheels and Tires
Exhaust tips

Interior vacuum
Leather treatment (leatherique)
Dash and Headliner treatment
Carpet and mat shampoo
Windows and trim

Great results! This is THE shop in town and for $300.00 money well spent

·
3,899 Posts
The full detail was:

Exterior wash and clay
Cut and Polish
Sealant
Hand wax (Meg's)
Wheels and Tires
Exhaust tips

Interior vacuum
Leather treatment (leatherique)
Dash and Headliner treatment
Carpet and mat shampoo
Windows and trim

Great results! This is THE shop in town and for $300.00 money well spent
Definitely! That is a very good deal for sure! I'll be coating a couple of cars this week including my own. You could always coat it yourself with a super easy product like optimum gloss coat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've read a lot about ceramic coatings on the XC90 site and am strongly inclined to get it done on my S60 after the new year. The detail shop is right around the corner from me and they have a 20% off special in place. Thoughts???
Hey Greg,

I just had C.quartz finest ceramic coating applied to my V60 RD about a month ago. All I can say is WOW. I literally did not wash it for 1 month and it looked about the same. Nothing really sticks to the paint and if there is rain most beads right off. Here are some pics on a thread I posted awhile ago:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?251937-15-5-V60-RD-Rebel-Blue-Ceramic-Paint-Coating-with-C-Quartz-Finest

It took them about 3 days to do all the work. Decontamination wash, clay bar, paint correction, 2 polishes, 4 applications of c.quartz finest, etc.

Its not cheap thats for sure, but for really easy maintenance and keeping your car looking good IMO it was worth it to me. Also, C.quartz products from all my research are the best on the market as far as quality, reliability, warranty, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We used Opticoat and it has really made a difference in how easy it is to wash and how long it stays clean. We did it new and will likely do it again for every car we purchase new.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have used Opti Coat Pro Plus as well. Quite amazing. The car looks newer than new. Will like ly maintain it yearly after the Montreal winters... Expensive, but worth it I think.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I did CQUK on my XC60 in September. It works REALLY good, makes cleaning the vehicle in the winter very easy.

It can be done DIY, just make sure you are prepared to do all the necessary steps.

I did the following over a 2 day period:

1. Full wash.
2. Full decon (ironx + clay bar).
3. Full polish/paint correction (luckily my vehicle needed very little).
4. Applied the Eraser product made by CQ.
5. Applied 2 coats of CQUK, let dry for 48hrs (longer then necessary).

·
3,899 Posts
I did CQUK on my XC60 in September. It works REALLY good, makes cleaning the vehicle in the winter very easy.

It can be done DIY, just make sure you are prepared to do all the necessary steps.

I did the following over a 2 day period:

1. Full wash.
2. Full decon (ironx + clay bar).
3. Full polish/paint correction (luckily my vehicle needed very little).
4. Applied the Eraser product made by CQ.
5. Applied 2 coats of CQUK, let dry for 48hrs (longer then necessary).
Spot on! Just keep in mind CQ UK is a bit trickier then Opticoat gloss coat so for all those wanting to give it a shot start with OC. CQ UK tends to smear a lot if applied thick and not wiped off properly.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Greg,

I just had C.quartz finest ceramic coating applied to my V60 RD about a month ago. All I can say is WOW. I literally did not wash it for 1 month and it looked about the same. Nothing really sticks to the paint and if there is rain most beads right off. Here are some pics on a thread I posted awhile ago:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?251937-15-5-V60-RD-Rebel-Blue-Ceramic-Paint-Coating-with-C-Quartz-Finest

It took them about 3 days to do all the work. Decontamination wash, clay bar, paint correction, 2 polishes, 4 applications of c.quartz finest, etc.

Its not cheap thats for sure, but for really easy maintenance and keeping your car looking good IMO it was worth it to me. Also, C.quartz products from all my research are the best on the market as far as quality, reliability, warranty, etc.
WOW....those pictures are amazing!!!! I'm thinking for $680.00 I cannot go wrong.......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Never seen it over here in the States. Not listed on Amazon or the usual places one would look.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts