SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new black T6 inscription. First Volvo. I’m wondering what folks are thinking about ceramic coating? This thing gets dirty fast!

Loving the car, power, and nanny P2 system. We’ve come to call her “Mrs. V”.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We put Opticoat Pro + on our car and it has been great. Ours is pearl metallic, but I would think the risk of seeing swirls is much higher on black. Helps with cleaning too, but I thinking more about swirls from all the washing,.,

Just bought a new black T6 inscription. First Volvo. I’m wondering what folks are thinking about ceramic coating? This thing gets dirty fast!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations on your first new Volvo, enjoy!

Especially on the Black, my experience is it’s a deeper, richer look. As others have previously described it almost has a ‘wet’ look too.

It still takes maintenance to keep it clean and looking good... but that I’m my opinion is the love / hate relationship of owning a black vehicle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
The best way to upload photo’s is by using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a XC60 T5 in white at the start of April. Just had it ceramic coated. Not so much for looks as for a protection from bird **** on the west side of my drive and an evil sap dripping tree on the east side. And when neither tree is dripping or depositing it will be winter with snow.

We will see how it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts

2016 T6 FE with 58k on it - ceramic coated after some paint correction. 3 of our last 5 cars have been black . . and this is the first that I've had ceramic coated. Makes it far easier to clean and I'm less worried about leaving bird poop on it for too long!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had mine done Opti-Coat Pro+ when I bought it. 3 years later I don't think I'd do it again. Yes, the car looked fantastic when it was originally done. Dust blew right off the car and it was show stopping to look at, almost embarrassingly so. Using Reload spray after washing kept it this way for a good while. Ultimately though, I just don't have time for the maintenance. Even with the coating, a black car still still needs to be washed regularly. With most coatings they strongly recommend hand washing as even touchless car washes will break down the coating more quickly. Next time, I'd keep the $1k+ in my pocket and put it into getting the car well detailed (including claybar, etc. to get the swirls out) a few times per year, running it through automatic washes in the interim.

·
3,899 Posts
As an installer for IGL, I'll say this to the above comment. Most coatings don't strongly recommend hand washing, they are mandatory. Going to a car wash (Any) will void the warranty of ANY coating. If you plan on going to a car wash, I wouldn't waste my time with a coating.

Most reputable coatings don't break down because of washing, they lose hydrophobic properties but the physical layer of silica is still there, the hydrophobic properties can easily be refreshed from time to time with a proper sealant/silica spray.

Clay bar does not break down swirls, it adds to it. It's using an abrasive to remove impeded contaminates (Think of it like an exfoliator/hard scrub for skin). I would not clay bar anything without a follow up polish to remove light marring

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had mine done Opti-Coat Pro+ when I bought it. 3 years later I don't think I'd do it again. Yes, the car looked fantastic when it was originally done. Dust blew right off the car and it was show stopping to look at, almost embarrassingly so. Using Reload spray after washing kept it this way for a good while. Ultimately though, I just don't have time for the maintenance. Even with the coating, a black car still still needs to be washed regularly. With most coatings they strongly recommend hand washing as even touchless car washes will break down the coating more quickly. Next time, I'd keep the $1k+ in my pocket and put it into getting the car well detailed (including claybar, etc. to get the swirls out) a few times per year, running it through automatic washes in the interim.
I think you are right on. I have been waxing cars, using various products from Carnauba to Technical Nano Products, various polishes and swirl reduction glazes, etcetera, etcetera... Now I just wash it and use a California Duster and Detailer either McGuire's or Adams

·
3,899 Posts
What are your goals?
How often do you wash your vehicle?
Are you willing to forego car washes?
Is this a lease or finance/own?
If you do plan to own, for how long?

All of these are the big questions I ask every owner before selecting proper protection.

4 Types of protection
Leather/trim/interior coatings - Own only
Paint/Trim/Glass/exterior coatings - Lease or Own
Tinting options Ceramic/Non-Ceramic - Lease or Own (Very good if you have kids, especially hot environments)
Paint Protection Film - Own only

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Own, tend to keep cars a while. I ceramic coated my truck 6 months ago without much research (ziebart, would probably not do again) and it seems to stay a lot cleaner than the Volvo. Then again it’s not black.

There is a local roll through brush car wash with a cheap membership. My hope was a ceramic coat would give an underlying stronger finish that could be maintained annually and washed a few times a month in the car wash.

Sounding like that might be unrealistic.

Kid #1 in T minus 115 days. Dogs already. I wasn’t planning on any interior protection or undercoating but maybe should consider both?

I’ve always assumed interior protection was snake oil.

·
3,899 Posts
Own, tend to keep cars a while. I ceramic coated my truck 6 months ago without much research (ziebart, would probably not do again) and it seems to stay a lot cleaner than the Volvo. Then again it’s not black.

There is a local roll through brush car wash with a cheap membership. My hope was a ceramic coat would give an underlying stronger finish that could be maintained annually and washed a few times a month in the car wash.

Sounding like that might be unrealistic.

Kid #1 in T minus 115 days. Dogs already. I wasn’t planning on any interior protection or undercoating but maybe should consider both?

I’ve always assumed interior protection was snake oil.
It depends on which interior protection, from the dealership, yes. Fabric and Leather coatings from reputable companies like Gyeon, Car-pro, Opticoat and IGL are proven and are highly effective. I have limited experience with undercoatings so I'm probably not much help.

Zeibart is kind of a joke in the detailing industry, anything that is "Dealer" applied is usually nothing compared to pro-grade stuff. As far as holding up in a typical cheap brush car wash, almost all coatings will fail with stuff like that except maybe Modesta which will run you 3k+ and will still swirl. The bottom line is no ceramic/silica coating will last/prevent swirls when you run it through an automatic car wash. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Label me still on the fence.

Seems we all have doppelgängers!

Congrats on the new XC90 and the maroon interior! I absolutely love mine, although on denim blue. At the advice of the board, I did full hood clear bra (xpel $1,300) and opti-coat on wheels. I didn’t go for opti-coat on the whole body. I never do automatic car washes and just wash by hand weekly (20 mins). I polish (Griots hand cut polish), clay, and Adams wax probably quarterly (about an hour). It seems to be holding up great after a year and 11k miles. I highly recommend opti-coat wheel (was only $100) as the brake dust just disappears with a wheel Woolie and soap and water.

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been installing Professional Ceramic Coatings for nearly 6 years now (CQuartz Finest) and with the explosion of many new brands on the market over the last few years also came a lot of bad information on coatings. Coatings can not prevent rock chips, are not scratch proof and can still swirl if not washed properly. To put it simple if you are looking for that type of protection have paint protective film (PPF) applied, if you are looking for a high gloss finish that will last several years and offer extremely easy maintenance then have a coatings applied.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have had 5 cars treated with OptiCoat Pro+ now. I will never go back.

It won't make a black car stay clean...black is black and always looks dirty unless it isn't, but it will protect the paint and keep swirls away which plague black cars so badly.

As important as the coating is how you wash it afterwards to keep it looking good. If you go with an Optimum coating then continue to use Optimum wash products to keep it looking nice and "feed" the coating.

I would recommend coating the wheels too, this really helps. Don't bother with the glass/windshield coating. I spent the $$ for it and then got a rock chip and crack a month later. Based on my experience with my XC90 so far I will be buying a new windshield every spring as the OEM glass is made of butter.

·
3,899 Posts
I have been installing Professional Ceramic Coatings for nearly 6 years now (CQuartz Finest) and with the explosion of many new brands on the market over the last few years also came a lot of bad information on coatings. Coatings can not prevent rock chips, are not scratch proof and can still swirl if not washed properly. To put it simple if you are looking for that type of protection have paint protective film (PPF) applied, if you are looking for a high gloss finish that will last several years and offer extremely easy maintenance then have a coatings applied.
Spot on, Ceramic Pro's marketing team has treading that line pushing multiple coats as a great alternative to ppf (Which is total BS) from what I've heard. Car-pro is probably the best installer/team to be part of if your doing this full time imo (Corey is great).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ceramic is not a cure all

Spot on, Ceramic Pro's marketing team has treading that line pushing multiple coats as a great alternative to ppf (Which is total BS) from what I've heard. Car-pro is probably the best installer/team to be part of if your doing this full time imo (Corey is great).
I have a 2005 s60 that might receive a coating depending on how my Toyota Tacoma fairs. The paint isn't nearly as nice as the paint on an XC90. It required a lot of work to remove the orange peel but post work it is stunning, The coating keeps the dirt off and keeps it looking nicer between waxes but frankly it has not changed the wax intervals. It has changed how nice the truck looks between the wax jobs. I wax based on how much the water beads during a rain storm. If I spent the coin to buy a new XC90, I would get it coated. I might not get it coated from the dealer but I would get it coated. Mainly because I'm lazy and I like my cars to look like I'm not!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts