SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my new DP from EST delivered a few days ago and it is gorgeous. I'm planning on having it ceramic coated (in and out) before installing it. Through some searching, I've found two places that have come up on the forums in this area but wanted to toss them out to you guys and see if you've had any experience good or bad with them. I haven't called for prices yet, will do this week.

Accessories Plus
1421 Old County Rd
Suite D
Belmont, CA 94002

Sanderson Headers
517 Railroad Avenue
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 583-6617

I saw CKAVolvo went with Sanderson for his OTE (and maybe even DP) --> HERE <-- Are you happy with it? Was the turnaround time decent? Was the price reasonable?

KillerB saw Accessories Plus based on some good reviews on the bimmer forums --> HERE <-- That was the first I'd heard of them. Curious if anyone here in Volvo land has gone with them.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I did not Find the Belmont shop when I did my search. I called a lot of Powder Coating shops' but got Sanderson from the Hot Rod Guys around here who have used them for years. I'm Happy with them so far on the 2 jobs. Staff is helpful but don't be afraid to ask for more information. As far as education I hope to ask for a tour and better understanding of what they do,

Should be a new thread BUT

Looking for a used K24 to start a build on . I do plan on going with Sanderson for the coating

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not Find the Belmont shop when I did my search. I called a lot of Powder Coating shops' but got Sanderson from the Hot Rod Guys around here who have used them for years. I'm Happy with them so far on the 2 jobs. Staff is helpful but don't be afraid to ask for more information. As far as education I hope to ask for a tour and better understanding of what they do
Thanks for the reply. Sanderson seems to have more "word of mouth" going for them. Good news is I think either place will suit just fine.

Found some pics of Accessories Plus coating, below. Didn't even think of doing black, but I do have a blackout theme going in my engine bay so far (covers, hoses, FMIC, etc) so that could be a nice touch.

Source: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=253958

Source: http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=971434

From second link:

"This cost me $80 due to the length of the pipe and diameter. Here's the drill.

Drive up to the shop.
Greet owner.
Place parts on counter
Specify coating. I picked the Satin Black since it's the highest temp coating they have.
The guy measures the pipe and gives you a quote."

Plan is to get the EST DP ceramic'd, along with the EST sport pipe section I ordered to try out as a resonator replacement and maybe my OTE while I'm at it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Should be a new thread BUT... Looking for a used K24 to start a build on . I do plan on going with Sanderson for the coating
Saw this on flea-bay tonight: Used K24. Not a great price but it is a used K24 :) PureTurbos has an already reman'd K24 for $795 with $100 core charge included on ebay as well.

I'm keeping my eye on a Hybrid from Viva, but waiting for a few more things to actually get done before I get myself a bigger "to-do" pile :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Just be sure to have the entire DP welded together before it gets coated.

Also it's not called the OTE, it's a Charge Air Pipe :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just be sure to have the entire DP welded together before it gets coated.
I was leaning towards doing it in pieces like prienzo did, so that they could get better coverage of the inside of the pipe near / at the cat. But that is all assumption without actually talking to them yet. I wasn't planning on getting it welded at all, just staying with the clamps EST provided.

Also it's not called the OTE, it's a Charge Air Pipe :mad: :mad: :mad:
... actually did that just for you :D

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
... actually did that just for you :D
I know you did, ya punk :D

I dislike clamps for the cat just because it looks like ass and possibly could loosen up and cause problems.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the turbo. I saw that but, as I'm doing taxes this weekend , well it was a bit better year than I thought so Uncle Sam will will be getting my turbo money and then some :(.

I also have the IPD down pipe but mine came as a one piece unit. I'm very happy how the ceramic coating is holding up and still looking good

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dropped off at Accessories Plus today. Had a wall of example ceramic coatings (black, white, grey, "chrome", and "cast") and powder coats (blue, red, chrome) that got me thinking all sorts of neat thoughts.

Quoted 5-10 day turnaround, I'm penciling in Friday the 20th for my DP install. Pics will follow of course.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Your R is coming along nicely there Noeish, good job.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the DP today! Looks really good, pics coming soon. Total was $80 which was actually less than what I was expecting ($100-$120).

I decided on getting the pieces coated separately and using clamps instead of having them welded up first then coating. After talking with Steve at accessories plus, that was the best way to get the most interior coverage. If I had them welded first, they would have plugged the ends of the complete pipe, basically only coating the outside (in order to not foul the cat). But since I dropped off 3 separate pieces (upper pipe with flex, cat and lower pipe) that actually allowed them to completely coat the inside of the 2 non-cat pieces.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your R is coming along nicely there Noeish, good job.
Thank you sir, still having a lot of fun with it. :thumbup:

After getting the e-codes I realized that I definitely need to do a little something fun to make sure folks don't get our caR's confused. I have some ideas brewing...

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Thank you sir, still having a lot of fun with it. :thumbup:

After getting the e-codes I realized that I definitely need to do a little something fun to make sure folks don't get our caR's confused. I have some ideas brewing...
Hehehe, at least I have the body kit and you have a pink unicorn :p

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hehehe, at least I have the body kit and you have a pink unicorn :p
Just because my winglets are gone, doesn't mean I don't have a body kit!

And Stinky Pinky (the horse's name) is worth exactly 1 horsepower, so he is required to ride along to get full performance.

Just need to get through my backlog of other car mods before I can add the new one to the list...

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Crappy cell phone shot as it sits patiently, waiting for a free weekend...

Before:

After:

Really happy with the quality of the work and the price. If anybody else decides to go there, Steve V. was the man that answered all my questions and took care of business.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed! Maybe I'll take my charge air pipe over to them next...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
The coating process is a bit addictive. It looks so nice when done and installed.

I have looked before asking this , but I know E codes a Hella lights but what is the location on the R and where do they come from ? :facepalm:

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
I have looked before asking this , but I know E codes a Hella lights but what is the location on the R and where do they come from ? :facepalm:
:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts