SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planing on putting the car up on a rotisserie for doing the under-car detailing work. Things like final chassis welding, hydraulics and exhaust might be more fun not laying on my back.

For those that have gone down this road, is there an approximate center of gravity point that make the car easy (safe) to rotate?

I can build a rotisserie with an adjustable center of gravity, but is I dont plan to re-use it, I would prefer to keep it simple as two post with pivots.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Car bodies are a lot lighter than you'd think, I just put a subaru up on a rotisserie with a friend last week and he mounted the pivots directly centered on the bumper mounts. And while it is definitely not balanced, one guy can still flip the car over.

A majority of the weight is on the floor pan, I'd put it just above the bumper, like in the grille or between the headlights, and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Have a look at the photos of the rotisserie set up for my car (post 3 and 10).

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?201780-What!-Another-142-Project-Car

As Lloyd notes, the mounts are the bumper attachment points. However, since my car is a 140, the vertical center of mass is higher than on an 1800 and it was necessary to have the pivot point located above the mounting point. This was done with some fairly simple adjustable mounts. Depending on how high on the body the 1800 bumper mounts are located, you might be able to get away with having the pivots in line with the mounting points. However, if you get very far off the vertical center of mass, you are going to make it easy to work on the bottom of the body; but, not so easy to get the body upright again, particularly if you are trying to do the rotation by yourself. With reasonable location of the pivots, my car was relatively easy to rotate on the rotisserie.

I recognize your one time use plan; however, consider that if you put a little adjustability into the rotisserie, you may be able to sell it on kijiji (or whatever) and recover the cost of the structural steel rather than having it rust away in the back yard.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Kinda where I was guessing, but good to ask.

Guy, that is some amazing work you did.

Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here are a few photos which may give you a starting point to get the centre of gravity.

This car is balanced on the rotisserie and flips with one finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NZ1800E:

Those are great pics. Right down the centre of the tunnel looks like a good place to aim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts