SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 T6 and had the dealer-installed dual USB port installed with AA. It worked fine for quite a while other than occasional glitches (bad cables, etc.). However, starting in May time frame, I've had an increasing number of instances where the USB ports in the center console shut off. The first instance was traveling to an airport - AA shut down and music playing through USB also quit. The corresponding icons on the right sensus screen were also grayed out. After my trip (few days later) when I returned to my car everything was fine. Then no repeat occurrences for maybe a month. Now it's happening a few times a week. When it occurs, the vehicle just needs to be shut off and restarted for the USB ports to activate again. When it first occurred I thought it may be a fuse, but obviously not. Not sure that a SW problem would cause this either. Perhaps there is a re-settable fuse in the USB module that is reset upon restart.

I have a service appt tomorrow (60k) and was interested if anyone else has seen this type of behavior as well as I'm fairly certain it won't occur when the car is with the dealer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a 2016 T6 and had the dealer-installed dual USB port installed with AA. It worked fine for quite a while other than occasional glitches (bad cables, etc.). However, starting in May time frame, I've had an increasing number of instances where the USB ports in the center console shut off. The first instance was traveling to an airport - AA shut down and music playing through USB also quit. The corresponding icons on the right sensus screen were also grayed out. After my trip (few days later) when I returned to my car everything was fine. Then no repeat occurrences for maybe a month. Now it's happening a few times a week. When it occurs, the vehicle just needs to be shut off and restarted for the USB ports to activate again. When it first occurred I thought it may be a fuse, but obviously not. Not sure that a SW problem would cause this either. Perhaps there is a re-settable fuse in the USB module that is reset upon restart.

I have a service appt tomorrow (60k) and was interested if anyone else has seen this type of behavior as well as I'm fairly certain it won't occur when the car is with the dealer.
I have something similar with my XC60. It hasn't happened again in some time though. If I remember correctly when I reboot my phone it usually resolves without resorting to a restart of the car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The problem of course could be a Volvo issue, either hardware or software. I'm not (yet) familiar with how Volvo software works with USB, but it sounds from your description it's designed such that if it encounters a failure of some sort, they just take all USB devices offline until you power-off/on the car. My former Lexus did that, and my current Tesla does the same requiring the CID (Center Info Display) to be rebooted before USB music access is available again.

If Volvo does not come up with anything, a few generic things you may want to try:

• Are you using a "dumb" USB stick or even a USB SSD, or some more sophisticated USB device like an iPod or MP3 player? If the latter, ensure its firmware/software is current.
  • If you have any other USB devices plugged-in anywhere -- even if "just for charging", first remove them and make sure the intermittent failure still occurs. Depending how good Volvo's USB error recovery routines may or may not be, I've seen secondary devices be the culprit in other vehicles -- be that because of excessive combined power draw or something else.
  • #1 with symptoms similar to yours is a faulty USB cable between the car and your USB device. If you're using any sort of cable, replace it. They can and do break internally. IMO, cheap cables are more problematic than name brands, esp the "99-cent variety", and harder less-flexible types seem to fail faster than generally more costly flexible type.
  • Have you tried a different USB device? You can get a bad one, or they can fail out of the blue -- and most issues I've had over the years are frustratingly intermittent perhaps as different internal sections of the USB memory are accessed -- I'll never know. I've had more issues with cheap no-name USB sticks, but also had one big-name (Sandisk) USB stick that wound up being the source of my problems -- once I replaced it, what I thought were more Tesla Media Player issues died-down to the more normal dull roar. ;)
  • I'm stretching with this one, but if you're using any type of USB Hub, get rid of it. (IDK if Volvo even supports them, but at least one guy on another forum with another car had one in the mix with intermittent USB failures, and when it was removed, his problems went away.)

Good luck

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
653 Posts
The problem of course could be a Volvo issue, either hardware or software. I'm not (yet) familiar with how Volvo software works with USB, but it sounds from your description it's designed such that if it encounters a failure of some sort, they just take all USB devices offline until you power-off/on the car. My former Lexus did that, and my current Tesla does the same requiring the CID (Center Info Display) to be rebooted before USB music access is available again.

If Volvo does not come up with anything, a few generic things you may want to try:

• Are you using a "dumb" USB stick or even a USB SSD, or some more sophisticated USB device like an iPod or MP3 player? If the latter, ensure its firmware/software is current.
  • If you have any other USB devices plugged-in anywhere -- even if "just for charging", first remove them and make sure the intermittent failure still occurs. Depending how good Volvo's USB error recovery routines may or may not be, I've seen secondary devices be the culprit in other vehicles -- be that because of excessive combined power draw or something else.
  • #1 with symptoms similar to yours is a faulty USB cable between the car and your USB device. If you're using any sort of cable, replace it. They can and do break internally. IMO, cheap cables are more problematic than name brands, esp the "99-cent variety", and harder less-flexible types seem to fail faster than generally more costly flexible type.
  • Have you tried a different USB device? You can get a bad one, or they can fail out of the blue -- and most issues I've had over the years are frustratingly intermittent perhaps as different internal sections of the USB memory are accessed -- I'll never know. I've had more issues with cheap no-name USB sticks, but also had one big-name (Sandisk) USB stick that wound up being the source of my problems -- once I replaced it, what I thought were more Tesla Media Player issues died-down to the more normal dull roar. ;)
  • I'm stretching with this one, but if you're using any type of USB Hub, get rid of it. (IDK if Volvo even supports them, but at least one guy on another forum with another car had one in the mix with intermittent USB failures, and when it was removed, his problems went away.)

Good luck
Good suggestions! I can say that there is a "soft fuse" which I have encountered with specifically poor quality cables. In one case I actually saw the cable shorting out depending on how it was inserted since the phone rebooted too. I went to better quality cables and have not had the issue since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts