SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The aluminium trim started to come off, in the center console and unfortunately cut my finger as it cuts like a razor...

I would like to ask for your opinion, if this is a warranty issue.

Many thank you.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The aluminium trim started to come off, in the center console and unfortunately cut my finger as it cuts like a razor...

I would like to ask for your opinion, if this is a warranty issue.

Many thank you. View attachment 127758
Assuming it's a 2020 as per your profile? I'd get this to a dealer ASAP. I remember the interior and exterior door handle trims had peeling/flaking issues for earlier models, but I haven't seen this before.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i already visited them.
I am under the 2 year warranty, but at the same time i have the extended 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks, i already visited them.
I am under the 2 year warranty, but at the same time i have the extended 5 year warranty.
Are they covering it under warranty? It seems like it would be a warranty issue. Also a significant safety issue.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safety you mean for cutting myself?

Well they tried to quote me price on it, but i explained they have to run a claim and replace it under warranty.

Waiting for Volvo’s reply as the dealer will put the claim in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Safety you mean for cutting myself?

Well they tried to quote me price on it, but i explained they have to run a claim and replace it under warranty.

Waiting for Volvo’s reply as the dealer will put the claim in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep. If it's like a razor and cutting fingers, that's a legitimate concern. Why wouldn't it be under warranty? Is the dealer saying you damaged it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. If it's like a razor and cutting fingers, that's a legitimate concern. Why wouldn't it be under warranty? Is the dealer saying you damaged it?

We haven't been there yet, but at this part of the console, its impossible for me to destroy it.
I will expect them to run it through warranty, otherwise i will have to become more convincing.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I haven't seen that before on a SPA car, but it's not uncommon on any plated plastic parts after they get some age on them. I would think it would be covered under the original warranty but I do not think the extended warranty will pick it up as I think it would fall under "trim" which is excluded (at least here in the US). Such failure is typically not damage but a breakdown of the part, so failing so early I would push for warranty if it were mine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't seen that before on a SPA car, but it's not uncommon on any plated plastic parts after they get some age on them. I would think it would be covered under the original warranty but I do not think the extended warranty will pick it up as I think it would fall under "trim" which is excluded (at least here in the US). Such failure is typically not damage but a breakdown of the part, so failing so early I would push for warranty if it were mine.
Correct will do exactly the same.
Are you sure Trim is not covered by Extended warranty? I am in EU.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I don't know anything about the EU warranty. In the US "Trim" is on the exclusion list. Further, "Moldings" are as well, though I believe that is for the exterior bits. Basically things that break down in the sun are not going to be covered. A car parked outside in a hot climate will have failings earlier than other models. It's typically environmental damage, not failed part.. but yours is only a year old, which to me, would lean towards a failed manufacturing part. But I'm just a guy on the internet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That also happened to my 2016 V60 about 3 months ago. Not sure if warranty will cover that as I'm past my warranty period. I must say my car is black with black leather and it is always parked outside even during our hot summer in Los Angeles. Lots of sun and heat exposure will cause that. this is near the cup holder area on non spa models

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my car is 99% parked inside, otherwise i got tinted windows, the Volvo fishnet window curtains plus the front visor cover, if parked for a long time outside... 3-4 times per year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts