SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after exploring my new vehicle, this question came up. Why does the center console release so it can be removed? I don't understand this. Also, why is that flap underneath the console a tease for a hidden compartment?

Timo

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
So after exploring my new vehicle, this question came up. Why does the center console release so it can be removed? I don't understand this. Also, why is that flap underneath the console a tease for a hidden compartment?

Timo
IIRC, it was so that you could be closer to kids in the center of the second row when the booster seat was in play, as well as allowing them more leg room.

·
Registered
654 Posts
IIRC, it was so that you could be closer to kids in the center of the second row when the booster seat was in play, as well as allowing them more leg room.
That would be my guess too. Since the center rear booster seat slides pretty far forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remove for more legroom

Only on 7-seaters, right? I have a 5 seater and I dont think the middle rear seat slides.
In 5-seater you cannot slide the middle seat forward. The only advantage of removing the box is to achive more legroom for middle-seated passenger.

·
Registered
804 Posts
wait what? The center console can be removed? You guys mean the area that sits right in front of the middle booster seat can be taken out?

·
Registered
654 Posts
There is a spring loaded button at the back of console by the floor. push that up, then slide the back section of the console towards the back seat.

If you have the TVs in the headrest there might be a couple screws to remove and wires to disconnect also.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine just has a handle at the bottom of the console, back side, below the 12V outlet just above the carpet. Pull the lever and the entire console slides off.

I still wish that little cover on the floor was a secret compartment.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
There is a spring loaded button at the back of console by the floor. push that up, then slide the back section of the console towards the back seat.

If you have the TVs in the headrest there might be a couple screws to remove and wires to disconnect also.
Ones with the DVD in the center console can also be removed? That's new to me? I knew the ones without could be by pulling the release in the rear bottom. I'd tried that with ours and it won't budge. Are there quick release/connectors for the DVD wiring and additional release that would need to be pulled to slide out the console? Would be awesome to be able to remove and reinstall easily as needed as we only use the console DVD player (RCA really) for road trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removal of center console with DVD

Ones with the DVD in the center console can also be removed? That's new to me? I knew the ones without could be by pulling the release in the rear bottom. I'd tried that with ours and it won't budge. Are there quick release/connectors for the DVD wiring and additional release that would need to be pulled to slide out the console? Would be awesome to be able to remove and reinstall easily as needed as we only use the console DVD player (RCA really) for road trips.
Yes, it can be removed. First remove the 2 torx screws on either side and then put the tips of your fingers under the black handle on the bottom rear of the console. Rather than lifting up as you would with most handles push the tips of your fingers towards you. The side latches where you removed the screws will pop out a bit like wings and then slide entire console toward you.

You will need to disconnect 2 sets of wiring - I had to unwrap some foam from the connectors, but then they easily disconnected. One is green and the other blue so you can easily reconnect to the right ones when you are ready to reinstall.

I will post a couple of pictures of how to work the handle (before and after) since it took me a bit to figure out how to work it.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Yes, it can be removed. First remove the 2 torx screws on either side and then put the tips of your fingers under the black handle on the bottom rear of the console. Rather than lifting up as you would with most handles push the tips of your fingers towards you. The side latches where you removed the screws will pop out a bit like wings and then slide entire console toward you.

You will need to disconnect 2 sets of wiring - I had to unwrap some foam from the connectors, but then they easily disconnected. One is green and the other blue so you can easily reconnect to the right ones when you are ready to reinstall.

I will post a couple of pictures of how to work the handle (before and after) since it took me a bit to figure out how to work it.
Anyone have any more details on pulling the console with RSE? Just happened up on this thread. Did not know this was possible!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
When I was in Torslanda factory I spot in special department that in this place and in rear under the floor
for cars without 7 seats they install safety boxes for guns, money box vaults, munition and other staff
for Emabssys, Diplomatic cars ect. If you drive many years with middle console and you remove it for
more space ect you will fail on entering in car as we all have habit to push with hand on it...crazy
feeling if missing this part.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts