SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is a somewhat trivial problem but it's annoying enough that I'd like to fix it. I've got a 2018 S90 with the wood grain center console (cup holder) cover and when opened anywhere near "all the way open" it will stick in place. Once it's stuck, I can tug at the cover and eventually it will pop loose and roll closed but I'm afraid eventually I'm going to break it.

Any suggestions for a resolution? My first through was to spray some white lithium grease but not sure if I can access the area that's sticking.

Thanks,
-Brett.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Warranty?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
+1
Could one of the pieces move out of alignment when rolled in, making it catch something?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Probably a good idea. This is my first Volvo so I wasn't sure what their policy was for interior trim stuff like that.

Thanks,
-Brett.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have been falling back onto my warranty. I use it as much as possible. Any issues while the warranty is valid id complain about. On that note, I haven't had issues with my cup holder cover, weird to me that it would stick

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes dealer can fix it free. Dont have issue with mine as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grr... I should have taken it in sooner. It stuck open yesterday and this was the result of trying to close it. Time to get to know my local dealer!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Common problem. They updated the parts to have better lubricated rails, though plastic instead of metal.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Could be the photo...but are those dark stains (coffee or cola) on the edges of the two attached wood segments? Dried soda is like glue, which could cause binding.... Just sayin'

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be the photo...but are those dark stains (coffee or cola) on the edges of the two attached wood segments? Dried soda is like glue, which could cause binding.... Just sayin'
The wood is just a thin laminate on the top of the cover - those dark rectangular spots on the ends are the "tabs" that ride in a channel. They're plastic and from what I can see they're not sticky. It is odd, for 90% of the travel it was fine. It was when you opened it that last 10% that it got stuck.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to see what the dealer has to say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that did not go well. I was told that the warranty doesn't cover interior trim (after 12 months) even for Certified, but maybe they could fix it for 4-500, he wasn't sure. Also, the dash that is coming delaminated is not covered. He gave me the customer service number, though, so that was ever so nice of him.

Common problem. They updated the parts to have better lubricated rails, though plastic instead of metal.
Do you happen to have a part number for this? Or, better yet, a repair order showing what was done? MIght help me out in getting some sort of resolution. This is going to bug the hell out of me every time I get into the car.

-Brett.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, that did not go well. I was told that the warranty doesn't cover interior trim (after 12 months) even for Certified, but maybe they could fix it for 4-500, he wasn't sure. Also, the dash that is coming delaminated is not covered. He gave me the customer service number, though, so that was ever so nice of him.

Do you happen to have a part number for this? Or, better yet, a repair order showing what was done? MIght help me out in getting some sort of resolution. This is going to bug the hell out of me every time I get into the car.

-Brett.
That seems like complete BS to me. Sounds like they want to make some money instead of pushing it through. The original bumper to bumer warranty covers manufacture defects for 4 years/50k miles. Being that the parts were updated from this being a common problem, it should in fact be free of charge. Same with the delaminating leather dash. This was an EXTREMELY widespread issue, even on pre-SPA cars. I worked at a Volvo dealer and back in early 2018, Volvo actually bought a 2014 S80 Platinum back under the lemon law due to the leather dash delaminating on multiple occurrences. Mind you, this issue was repaired three times, 2 years from original purchase, not within the first 12 months.

Same thing happened with a 2017 S90 Inscription. Volvo swapped him into a 2017 we had on our lot and took the car back for "further investigation." And then a brand new 2018 we had gotten in that a customer noticed during her test drive; She did in fact buy the vehicle, Volvo covered the repair prior to her picking it up on delivery day and insisted that if it ever happened again, it would be free of charge.

I would also reference these two threads for further reading on your end, and there's definitely a few more on this topic in the XC90 section as well: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?518513-2018-S90-dashboard-leather-delaminating/page2 https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s90-v90-40/leather-dashboard-96596/

I would refer them to the attached link with the warranty description: https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2017/2017-Volvo-Warranty-non-hybrid.pdf

The defect information is reflected on page 30. If they are insisting known issues fall under the 12 month/12k miles "Adjustments Coverage," then I believe they are definitely mistaken. This only refers to items which should not fail within the first 12 months/12k miles such as brake pads, rotors, etc.

I would also read up on these links as well regarding this issue, and theres a few more threads on it in the XC90 section as well: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s90-v90-40/leather-dashboard-96596/ https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?518513-2018-S90-dashboard-leather-delaminating

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MJEWETT - Thanks for the detailed reply. I had done some reading ahead of time (about the dash) and assumed going in that it would be painless, so I was caught off guard when I started hearing the BS. I wish I'd have thought to have the warranty book on hand. I appreciate the links. (FWIW, not that there's a significant difference, but mine is a 2018, the brochure is HERE.)

I called the customer care line after coming home and they opened a case. I'll see what they have to say and if it comes to it, I'll go in with a copy of the warranty. The only thing I can see that's remotely close to the line I was given is on pg. 35 under "what's not covered" it mentions
The warranty brochure said:
Damage to the interior (soft trim, upholstery, and seating areas) resulting from normal wear and tear, misuse, abuse, or negligence.
I obviously interpret this different than he did.

My main gripe is the busted center console cover since that's an eyesore every time I get in.

Thanks,
-Brett.

·
Registered
373 Posts
MJEWETT - Thanks for the detailed reply. I had done some reading ahead of time (about the dash) and assumed going in that it would be painless, so I was caught off guard when I started hearing the BS. I wish I'd have thought to have the warranty book on hand. I appreciate the links. (FWIW, not that there's a significant difference, but mine is a 2018, the brochure is HERE.)

I called the customer care line after coming home and they opened a case. I'll see what they have to say and if it comes to it, I'll go in with a copy of the warranty. The only thing I can see that's remotely close to the line I was given is on pg. 35 under "what's not covered" it mentions

I obviously interpret this different than he did.

My main gripe is the busted center console cover since that's an eyesore every time I get in.

Thanks,
-Brett.
Push the customer care people be firm but nice. I had some issues with my car and asked if I could purchase a discounted extended warranty because I was losing faith in the car. They gave me the warranty for free, so that was nice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update - I got a call yesterday from the dealer to inform me they went back and forth with their area rep and the claim I opened via customer care. In the end, they will not be covering the console cover because "it's broken". However, they will cover a full dash replacement. I now need to decide what to do.

I'm leaning towards fixing the console myself with parts sourced from elsewhere (so as not to give this dealer my business). As for the dash, it would be nice to have a new one that's not bubbling, but I'm concerned with the long term effects of having the dealer replacing the entire dash in a car this new and complex. Will there be squeaks and rattles later on? Will the new dash bubble again and in a different/more obvious spot?

For now I'm doing nothing. There's another semi-local dealer but they're 30 minutes further away and who knows what their answer would be. In general it's been a sh**ty introduction to a new-to-me brand and dealer.

·
Registered
926 Posts
As FusionRedXC60 posted the main part is referred to as a blind.

The part number for yours is 31469872 and is ~$186. That's the modern/Linear wood option.
Then you also need the guide rails:
Left: 31497199 (~$16)
Right: 31497200 (~$16)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Update - I got a call yesterday from the dealer to inform me they went back and forth with their area rep and the claim I opened via customer care. In the end, they will not be covering the console cover because "it's broken". However, they will cover a full dash replacement. I now need to decide what to do.

I'm leaning towards fixing the console myself with parts sourced from elsewhere (so as not to give this dealer my business). As for the dash, it would be nice to have a new one that's not bubbling, but I'm concerned with the long term effects of having the dealer replacing the entire dash in a car this new and complex. Will there be squeaks and rattles later on? Will the new dash bubble again and in a different/more obvious spot?

For now I'm doing nothing. There's another semi-local dealer but they're 30 minutes further away and who knows what their answer would be. In general it's been a sh**ty introduction to a new-to-me brand and dealer.
That is extremely unfortunate. What I would do is, as much of an inconvenience as it may be, bring it to the further located dealer and see what they say. Is there anywhere you could re-adhere the part that broke off, and then they would be able to see that the blind binds and sticks. Who knows, it may even be that if you stick it back on inconspicuously, they may "test" it and it will "break" under their care and in their hands. It seems snarky, but it may be the best bet to get it fixed. They would DEFINITELY push it through as a warranty claim at that point! LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As FusionRedXC60 posted the main part is referred to as a blind.

The part number for yours is 31469872 and is ~$186. That's the modern/Linear wood option.
Then you also need the guide rails:
Left: 31497199 (~$16)
Right: 31497200 (~$16)
Thanks for the part numbers! I'll have to double check the color on the blind, the pic I saw of part # 31469872 looked darker then mine. But anyway, good info to have.

That is extremely unfortunate. What I would do is, as much of an inconvenience as it may be, bring it to the further located dealer and see what they say. Is there anywhere you could re-adhere the part that broke off, and then they would be able to see that the blind binds and sticks. Who knows, it may even be that if you stick it back on inconspicuously, they may "test" it and it will "break" under their care and in their hands. It seems snarky, but it may be the best bet to get it fixed. They would DEFINITELY push it through as a warranty claim at that point! LOL
I can't say that didn't cross my mind. I'm going to give it a while since I'm still POd about it. Plus, my "case" that I opened with the customer care team might come back to haunt me since there's pictures in there of it broken. (Not sure if the other dealer would bother to check that). At any rate, if nothing else fear of karma would probably keep me from trying to get one over on the other dealer.

From the looks of things, though, it seems like the part that broke off could be glued back on to the fabric runner that's underneath.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts