SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the small sliding cover on the front of my center console is a nice place to put things. Like the paper parking receipt you get when you park at the airport. Or your credit card after paying to get out. So today, I watched my Amex card slide between the sliding cover and the top of the console, to oblivion. I was missing some business cards, lost a couple of Hotel room keys....and I had wondered what I had done with them. Now I am wondering what other stuff I might find in there under the console.

So let it be known that if you set your credit card on the closed cover, then gently apply the brakes, you can watch it disappear like it is going into an ATM never to be seen again.

Does anyone have some simple instructions on getting underneath there? the stuff is now obstructing the use of the cover a bit. It doesn't glide like it did as it was brand new.
I looked at the forums and saw a bunch of stuff of people doing crazy upgrades, but I just need to pop the thing out of there to find the hidden treasures and I am terrified of creating a rattle or not getting it back together on my fancy nice car.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Best to start by pulling the carpeted panels off the sides of the console and taking a peak. They just pull off. Otherwise you're looking at removing the whole console which is a lot more involved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I did that. Got my amex out, but other stuff is still obstructing the movement of the cover. I will let the dealer deal with this. I am surprised that the gap was so big that stuff could fall in there. You are correct that the space that the cover moves into is mostly surrounded by molded plastic. A complete removal of the console will be necessary to make the cover slide right again. Don’t put any cards you care about on that cover, no matter how tempting it is

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks! I did that. Got my amex out, but other stuff is still obstructing the movement of the cover. I will let the dealer deal with this. I am surprised that the gap was so big that stuff could fall in there. You are correct that the space that the cover moves into is mostly surrounded by molded plastic. A complete removal of the console will be necessary to make the cover slide right again. Don’t put any cards you care about on that cover, no matter how tempting it is
Funny you posted this. After having this vehicle for about 21 months, I just discovered that little sliding cover today. It is really hard to open and close to the point of hurting a knuckle pulling it shut. I bet there's something I lost last year trapped in there!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
So yours is not spring loaded? Push it in and it stops, push it in again and it returns to original position.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ha! Both of these things have happened to me! I lost an ID to the little gap in a rental car. I took the transmission tunnel apart as far as I could and still couldn’t get to the damn thing.

And when I first got my XC60, I didn’t realize the little cover was spring loaded. I just thought it was stupidly hard to close....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
696 Posts
I just discovered a solution. I kind of wish it was black but even so, it looks like it will prevent the lost card problem.

US $15.99 |Central control leak proof Decoration veneer switch Card Leakproof bright stickers for Volvo xc60

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Sorry, no matter what URL I put in it doesn't link to the right place. Just search Ali for "Central control leak proof Decoration xc60"

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just discovered a solution. I kind of wish it was black but even so, it looks like it will prevent the lost card problem.

US $15.99 |Central control leak proof Decoration veneer switch Card Leakproof bright stickers for Volvo xc60

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Sorry, no matter what URL I put in it doesn't link to the right place. Just search Ali for "Central control leak proof Decoration xc60"

Lololol I can't believe there's actually an Aliexpress thing for a strip of plastic that keeps things from being eaten by an XC60 center console.

I also can't believe there's a $160 USD part to add a fake rear-HVAC control.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001042278146.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.

·
Registered
594 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts