SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been tinkering with my 2002 V70 AWD that I've yet to put on the road.

When I got it, I had the SRS Urgent warning in the display. Most said was probably due to a dead battery. I cleared it with VIDA/Dice and all was well.

The battery was weak though, and it came again. I put a new battery in the car this morning as I hope to get it registered next week. Tried clearing it with VIDA several times but it won't go away. SRS warning, no power windows, no power locks, etc.

I haven't used the car at all, it's just in my garage as I've been traveling a lot and haven't devoted any time to it....

Any thoughts? VIDA not the tool for this? I keep it running by hacking the date on the laptop back to Dec 2017

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Been tinkering with my 2002 V70 AWD that I've yet to put on the road.

When I got it, I had the SRS Urgent warning in the display. Most said was probably due to a dead battery. I cleared it with VIDA/Dice and all was well.

The battery was weak though, and it came again. I put a new battery in the car this morning as I hope to get it registered next week. Tried clearing it with VIDA several times but it won't go away. SRS warning, no power windows, no power locks, etc.

I haven't used the car at all, it's just in my garage as I've been traveling a lot and haven't devoted any time to it....

Any thoughts? VIDA not the tool for this? I keep it running by hacking the date on the laptop back to Dec 2017
Does your sunroof work? This happened to me when the DIM was unplugged and there was no communication. If your sunroof works it should be easily fixed. I believe it has something to do with disconnecting the battery as well - you have to take the correct terminal off first (not sure if it's pos or neg) or it'll cause communication issues. Check the power window / lock fuses as well, sorry I don't have a fix for you but I have had that issue before.
You might even try the DIM connection, but I don't see why disconnecting the battery would have caused that level of jank. Good luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
There's a patch out there to fix this issue, take a gander over in the ODB forum here.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the cem and reseated everything... Still the problem persists

·
Registered
421 Posts
The SRS Urgent console message indicates some component of the SRS system is not reporting in correctly. These are the components:
Passenger-present (weight) detectors in seats
Seatbelt continuity wiring (which might not have been restored correctly if seat was removed)
Crash sensors (accelerometers, I'm guessing 4 total)
Airbag subsystems
Curtain subsystems
SRS module

Since Volvo considers the SRS a safety-critical system, even a temporary fault reporting from any of these components necessitates hooking up VIDA to clear the software codes, after any mechanical/electronic fault is corrected.

VIDA will provide details on which component threw the fault code. You might get the info from a Volvo-specific OBD-II scanner.

My experiences aren't that unusual -- rodents chewed through the front right crash sensor wiring (2007 S60). My ODB-II scanner reported which sensor was not talking. Even after re-soldering the severed wires, the code remained until I took it to the dealer and asked to have the SRS module cleared.

On another car, I had to remove the rear seat to get at the fuel pump (2004 XC70), and drove it to a shop for a smoke test while the seat was removed. Just starting the engine with the seat unplugged put one of these "persistent" codes in SRS module, and again, it went to the dealer to be cleared. If you have DiCE / VIDA, you can clear SRS codes yourself (once the offending issue is resolved). So, begin with a Volvo-specific OBD-II scanner, or VIDA readout.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically I'm not getting any response from the CEM. No power windows, locks, sunroof, mirrors, cruise control..... I don't think it's specific to the srs

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Does you DiCE powers up? OBD-II port has a 5A fuse that can be blown up (I did that a couple of times...)

CEM is the entry to the cars network. You won't see anything in VIDA if CEM is dead.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CEM powered up, but I think it got wet. I've sent it to BBA in Taunton MA for diagnosis...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.....and the CEM bench tested fine. So now what? Haven't reinstalled it yet but I had SRS warning, no windows, locks, cc, etc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These is what I get from vida

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not at all experienced in this area, but I know when my climate control module (CCM in your diagram) blew during software updates at the shop, it set off SRS messages, as well as preventing the locks, windows, sunroof, and mirrors from doing anything until it was replaced. Cruise control was fine though.

So maybe check that the CCM is fine? Also since your screen indicates that the DIM (the module with the speedometer and error message readouts, etc.) is between all the components with communication failure, it could also be the problem

Edit: sorry just realized this is a quite old thread

1 - 13 of 13 Posts