SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

So my wife's trusted S80 acted up few days ago with only 56k miles. Initially I thought it was an alternator or battery problem, took it to local "foreign" car mechanic and they said alternator and battery fine. Told me I need to take car to Volvo dealer because they can't diagnose the problem.

The first problem, started with "charging failure, stop safely" and battery light on. alternator? Apparently not.

He left the car overnight in his shop, following day, battery completely dead.

I picked up the car today, drove home and will tow to dealer.
The car indicated these problems while driving home ~10mins.
1. Transmission service required
2. Headlamp Failure
3. Active chassis temporary off
4. Charging Failure service Urgent
5. Speedometer stopped working
6. SRS airbag service urgent
7. Battery, Airbag, check engine, ABS lights all ON

Anyone knows what's going on? She drives about 10miles on this car per day to and from work. By not driving it, does it increase the likelihood of computer problems?

Thanks for all your help. I'm trying to figure out if I should reach out to xemodex before taking to dealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer and get a vida scan. My guess is its the battery even though the shop said its fine. Bad batteries can really screw with these cars.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd take it to the dealer and get a vida scan. My guess is its the battery even though the shop said its fine. Bad batteries can really screw with these cars.
Thanks! They actually tried a new battery, but was having the same issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is nearly exactly what happened when my alternator regulator failed. The car was driveable enough (the car would shut down various non-essential systems sequentially to preserve the battery that was keeping the car running) to get me to the dealer, which they scanned the and found the alternator was acting up. More specifically, the alternator DOES have a network connection to the car's CEM/ECU. Volvo doesn't recommend the whole alternator to be replaced, but the regulator piece. When I inspected the regulator, the circuit inside failed and burned out, charring the plastic module.

When I had my problem, I was 20 miles from the dealer when this unexpectedly happened. I started up the car and it threw all those messages that you got, and the engine still ran. I turned the headlights into the parking setting to turn off the HID headlights, turned off the climate control and radio to preserve the battery power to make the drive to the dealership. The car actually knows to shut down systems sequentially (as the battery voltage/amperage) goes down (I did play around the systems just to see what happened). Infotainment goes first, then climate control goes second and then windows and locks, interior lighting. This was done to preserve battery power to power the engine/powertrain) When I got to the dealer I was a sweating mess as the car had shut off the climate control and I couldn't operate the power windows. I had to open the door on the freeway periodically just to get fresh air lol.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe that Volvo now have a lifetime warranty on parts and labor (minus the consumable wear parts, but the alternator is covered). That warranty only applies if installed at the dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts