SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
System too rich at idle - Bank 1

how the **** am I supposed to fix that ****?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It seems as if this car just rubs you the wrong way.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Vadis or ivadis.... fuel injector ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Am i the only person who read this as "PC load letter? wtf does that mean?"

serious question is serious though...a failing o2 sensor can cause this. BMW's have this problem when the o2 sensor is still within spec enough to not throw a code, but will cause the car to run rich or lean enough to throw one.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What have you done to the car's emissions system?
I get that occasionally as well. Usually just goes away.

Do you have an aftermarket downpipe?

It's stock currently

My idle blips a little somtimes. It can drop a few rpm, or rev a few rpm depending on it's mood.

I have also been getting a TON of backfire lately. Which is fine with me :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's stock currently

My idle blips a little somtimes. It can drop a few rpm, or rev a few rpm depending on it's mood.

I have also been getting a TON of backfire lately. Which is fine with me :D
Take your shop to a dealer. Emissions warranty will apply.

Or, get the actual VIDA codes which provide you with more details of the actually issue (upper limit, permanent fault, etc). Your generic codes are useless.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take your shop to a dealer. Emissions warranty will apply.

Or, get the actual VIDA codes which provide you with more details of the actually issue (upper limit, permanent fault, etc). Your generic codes are useless.
So, what you're saying is that this is something that will be replaced/fixed for free by the dealer because of some emissions warranty/law or some crap?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Little bit of hatin

Maybe he should attend the Player Hater Ball

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was getting the opposite message a few weeks ago: system too lean at idle speeds - Bank 1. Turns out when it took it to the dealer, it was a long term fuel trim code. When they troubleshooted it, they found some hose or something under the intake had come loose. Problem solved. YMMV

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was getting the opposite message a few weeks ago: system too lean at idle speeds - Bank 1. Turns out when it took it to the dealer, it was a long term fuel trim code. When they troubleshooted it, they found some hose or something under the intake had come loose. Problem solved. YMMV
I will check all hoses.

WTF is YMMV

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your mother's meaty vagina?

That or, your mileage may vary. I think it's the first though...
Oh, well I'm an only child so I doubt it's meaty.

71k as of yesterday

·
Banned
170 Posts
A loose/cracked vacuum hose will cause a system too lean code. System too rich is usually a bit more complicated - that means that the car is reading too little oxygen in the exhaust stream and is trying to lean out the mixture to compensate.

And backfiring is bad on your catalytic converter - it means that unburned fuel is making it's way through the exhaust and when it hits the atmosphere, it ignites. Unburnt fuel will ruin a (very expensive) catalytic converter.

You might have an injector that isn't closing all the way and leaking fuel - the fuel gets pushed out during the exhaust cycle and could be causing the backfire. That or a spark plug is fouling up and not burning the entire mixture. I'd get this serviced quickly as you could be damaging critical engine components.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A loose/cracked vacuum hose will cause a system too lean code. System too rich is usually a bit more complicated - that means that the car is reading too little oxygen in the exhaust stream and is trying to lean out the mixture to compensate.

And backfiring is bad on your catalytic converter - it means that unburned fuel is making it's way through the exhaust and when it hits the atmosphere, it ignites. Unburnt fuel will ruin a (very expensive) catalytic converter.

You might have an injector that isn't closing all the way and leaking fuel - the fuel gets pushed out during the exhaust cycle and could be causing the backfire. That or a spark plug is fouling up and not burning the entire mixture. I'd get this serviced quickly as you could be damaging critical engine components.
Spark plugs and cats aren't really that expensive for me. It won't harm anything else... I've got a spare stock cat, and an aftermarket 3" that I can use which is pretty cheap. Spark plugs are dirt cheap lol

I'm going to swap spark plugs anyway, throw some seafoam in, and probably buy a new o2 sensor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts