SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a CEL on my 2009 S40 T5 AWD on Wednesday with the message "Engine System Service Required", and while the car starts and runs fine I do notice a loss of power. I'm trying to get an appointment scheduled with the dealer but I was wondering if it will still be OK to drive the car on shorter trips until I can get it in.

Would the reduced power be a "limp mode"? The car still accelerates safely, it just doesn't have the punch I normally expect.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Try to avoid driving it in my opinion... Though not always, limp mode can be a serious problem. It's there as a safe guard but mostly to allow you mot to be stranded.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I just got a CEL on my 2009 S40 T5 AWD on Wednesday with the message "Engine System Service Required", and while the car starts and runs fine I do notice a loss of power. I'm trying to get an appointment scheduled with the dealer but I was wondering if it will still be OK to drive the car on shorter trips until I can get it in.

Would the reduced power be a "limp mode"? The car still accelerates safely, it just doesn't have the punch I normally expect.
That is not a limp mode, it's a "safe" mode. In limp mode your power and RPM is limited drastically while hear only slightly. Although it's not critical (otherwise engine would enter limp mode) I still wouldn't drive around for a long time before correcting it.

It can happen for many various reasons, for example you MAF can be dead etc. Best way to start finding what is going on is to read DTCs - at least on eof them is set and most probably it will point to the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the shop today, was told that it's the PCV oil trap and that the power loss would have been expected. Never had the noise that I remember reading about with earlier model years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so here's what I have written on my receipt...think there was more involved than the oil trap:

"Verified concern checked for faul codes. Found ECM codes 122D, 420C, 421D, 431D, 432D, 600D, 612D, 616D and 630D. Cleared codes - returned immediately. Fault traced, found fuse F35 blown. Replaced fuse and ran fuel tank quick test to check leak detection pump - passed. Found no issues with wiring to ECM. Road tested - codes returned. Contacted Volvo help desk. Unplugged heating element per Volvo and cleared fuses. Replaced fuse and road tested, no codes returned. Found fault with oil trap. Removed and replaced oil trap. Checkd for fault codes all OK at this time. Verified repair."

Been driving for a few days and no problems so I'm guessing all is OK, but with all of those faults I wonder if there is still something going on...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
so all it was , was a few fuses and the pcv system?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts