SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a check engine light with no codes, my module on the ignition coil whent out recently, car wouldn't spark but that has been fixed by replacing it.

there are no codes visible with scan tool, the ecu is in learn mode. the thing is, i have driven 130 miles since the CEL came on and it should have came out of learn mode by now.

I'm at a loss to whats going on and am looking for advice befor i go to the dealer....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Learn Mode?

I know with some manufacturers the Check Engine light will come on and not throw a fault code if it's just worn plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
How old are yours?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it sit for a while (20 min or so)?

It might be a volvo specific code that generic code readers don't interpret properly. Unfortunately it's probably time to hit up a dealer or shop with VIDA. (or buy VIDA/DICE off ebay).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
everything is new, coil, cap, rotor, wires, crank, cam. batt has been unhooked twice over night with no change.
I'm starting to think i may have to go to the dealer

·
Registered
605 Posts
everything is new, coil, cap, rotor, wires, crank, cam. batt has been unhooked twice over night with no change.
I'm starting to think i may have to go to the dealer
What scanner are you using?

What's Learn Mode?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what scanner it was, i went to a auto skill shop here on Fort Bragg. I don't actually own one myself.
learn mode is basically the computer running through all its checks and calibrations, usually vehicles do this when the battery has been disconnected for a extended period.

I managed to go to the dealer today and what they told me is that my TPS is bad and the mode selector switch for the Transmission.
Not exactly sure why this didn't show up on the scanner i was using. I did order the TPS but the mode switch isn't something that pep-boys carried so il have to find it somewhere else

at the dealers it was going to cost 300 for the TPS and 120 for the switch with labor included for both, I'm glad i do my own work... sheshhh

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it sit for a while (20 min or so)?

It might be a volvo specific code that generic code readers don't interpret properly. Unfortunately it's probably time to hit up a dealer or shop with VIDA. (or buy VIDA/DICE off ebay).
vida would be useless here....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not even sure what VIDA is but it sure would be nice to have a good scan tool.
At the same time I'm thinking of just getting a stand alone and splicing it strait into the ecu plug(female side).
That way I can swap them out whenever I need to, for inspection etc.
Im a bit hesitant becaus it's my only vehicle. My room mate wouldn't mind driving me around for a while tho.

I went way off topic but it's a question I was going to ask sooner or later anyway...

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
vida would be useless here....
I thought that's the exact tool the dealer would use to identify his faulty tps and mode selector. What do you mean?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Ah. Didn't know that.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It might be a volvo specific code that generic code readers don't interpret properly. Unfortunately it's probably time to hit up a dealer or shop with VCT2000.
Fixed.

The premise is correct.

Or he could try VOL-FCR maybe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts