SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

CEL ECM 24BB

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lightspeed 
#1 ·
With a custom 3" DP and exhaust installed since March, my car has been performing perfectly. And a recent tune-up and Sea Foam treatment has her running stronger thatn ever.

But yesterday a CEL popped up. ECM 24BB Front Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Bank 1 Signal Missing.

Any input on what my problem is, and why this happened?
I wonder if I can get this covered under my extended warranty.
Thank you- Scott

#2 ·
Scott, it is possible that the seafoam fouled out the O2 sensor, but those occurrences are pretty rare.

Stupid question, but did you verify that the plug for the O2 sensor is properly connected. Maybe after the DP install the plug wasn't pushed in the whole way and finally popped out? I don't know, I'm just digging deep! lol

#3 ·
Re: CEL ECM 24BB (Lightspeed)

Either the O2 sensor is unplugged or its toast.
Check and make sure you know what sensor it is Bank 1 Sensor 1 or Bank 1 Sensor 2. 1 is the Front, 2 is the rear.
My guess is, its the front and a product called Sea Foam may have killed it.
YMMV but almost all of those aftermarket chemicals do more harm than good.

#4 ·
Re: CEL ECM 24BB (Oceans60R)

More weirdness: The code would not clear last night using my ipd Softloader.
Then leaving early this morning, no CEL. I drive ~3 hours of fast highway/ stop&go traffic, no problems. Then sitting idling, CEL pops up.
Checking now, same code. Takes two times to clear it. So now no CEL.
Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »
Check and make sure you know what sensor it is Bank 1 Sensor 1 or Bank 1 Sensor 2. 1 is the Front, 2 is the rear.
Patrick- How do I differentiate the two? The Softloader only tells me what I wrote above.

I have to make time to get under the car to check for a loose wire.
Scott

#5 ·
Check the harness for the front sensor, make sure it didn't melt onto the exhaust.

If it's ok, then most likely it is bad.

I'm pretty sure that the front is a wideband sensor, rear is not. Other wise you'd be able to swap front for rear to see if the problem moves...but no go on the R.

#6 ·
Sea foam can be very harsh on Plugs and o2 sensors.

It can be hard on ignition items too, however most cases resulted in dead igniters, which our cars dont have.

But typically expect to change plugs and o2 sensors on your high mileage sea foam treated cars.

#7 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »
Sea foam can be very harsh on Plugs and o2 sensors.
After the SF treatment, I was thrilled by the performance. Perhaps the sensors should be removed prior to treatment, and re-installed afterwards.
And I just had new plugs put in. Grrrr....

So day 3, and after clearing the code last night, it did not re-appear. DRiving has been near identical each day.
Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Always optimistic...
Scott

#8 ·
Re: (Lightspeed)

The code has not reappeared. Is it possible that the Seafoam contaminated the O2 sensor, and then residue or the like was burned off?
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.