SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i hope someone can help / advise on a few issues I am having...Car is a 2006 VR... I'll make this brief as I can (as no-one likes to read a novel just to get to a few questions).

Initial Condition - ~2 months ago CEL light came on. Slight and "occasional" stumble at light throttle... No error message on display. Checked codes:

---P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor circuit high
---P0089 - Fuel Pressure Regulator performance

First step - researched potential fixes. Replaced Fuel filter first, had no effect. Next was to try the Fuel pressure sensor (PEM is already relocated).

New Fuel Pressure sensor appeared to fix problem for ~ 10 days until the CEL came back on.

Check codes again:

---P0089 - Fuel Pressure Regulator performance (AGAIN!)

Additional info - Car drives fine, there is no stumble or driveability issues this time. CEL is on 95% of time (sometimes at start-up it is off, but usually comes back on shortly after)

This is where I am at. My thought is either --> #1 - new Fuel pressure sensor is Faulty or #2 - Fuel pump issues / pump going bad.

Questions:

#1) Any way to tell for sure what it could be before I start throwing more parts at it? Is there anything else it could be that I am missing?

#2) Would VIDA/DICE allow me to pinpoint further (I assume it would but I don't have this luxury yet :)

#3) In regards to VIDA, any quick guide as to which unit to get? I have read many posts regarding the "knock-off" VIDA units and different issues depending on which one you get, what operating system is used, whether is "PRO" or not, etc etc.. Its to the point I am more confused now than when I started researching VIDA units - haha..... My Current system runs Windows 8.1 (not PRO as far as I know) if that helps...

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks in advance for your time...

Jody

·
Registered
445 Posts
Trying to fix eletronical components without vida/dice is like shooting in the dark, as been said and resaid many times.

I got my vida/dice unit from eBay here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111745931230?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It works flawlessly and the quality is good, i would recommend getting it from this guy. I used an old laptop with 2 gigs of ram and downloaded a copy of windows 7 ultimate or pro from piratebay, i burned it onto a CD and booted it onto my old laptop. I had to bypass vida 4gb ram recommendation ( very easy to do check google ) because my laptop has 2gig, installed vida and everything worked perfectly.

If you need help let me know.

·
Super Moderator
8,700 Posts
VIDA would let you check your pump duty cycle to see if it is operating at an appropriate level.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You will most likely have to install vida on another program like wmware if you plan on running it in Windows 8.1. That's what I had to do. Unless they have now released a version for 8.1 which I doubt and if that was the case it would be hard to get ahold of.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to fix eletronical components without vida/dice is like shooting in the dark, as been said and resaid many times.
Thanks, I appreciate it... looks like VIDA is in my future as I despise taking the car to any dealer unless absolutely necessary... growing up working on mostly "older" cars, I didn't need a systems like VIDA/DICE to troubleshoot... guess its time to get my learn on! - haha! I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Maybe I should try and find an Indy near me that has VIDA and can decipher the codes, I hate driving my car with a CEL for too long (even if it shows no drive-ability issues)..

You will most likely have to install vida on another program like wmware if you plan on running it in Windows 8.1. That's what I had to do. Unless they have now released a version for 8.1 which I doubt and if that was the case it would be hard to get ahold of.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6
Thanks - Has anyone else had success with a VIDA for Windows 8.1 without running a virtual desktop? If so, which one did you order? Just looking for something more plug and play without having to install additional software or troubleshoot install "bugs"... I guess if I needed to use a Virtual desktop I could... never tried it (my computer expertise is amateur at best)...I assume its easy to do?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
No luck here installing on 8.1. Had to make a virtual machine with Windows 7.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check codes again:

---P0089 - Fuel Pressure Regulator performance (AGAIN!)

Additional info - Car drives fine, there is no stumble or driveability issues this time. CEL is on 95% of time (sometimes at start-up it is off, but usually comes back on shortly after)

This is where I am at.
So the CEL (Check engine light) and P0089 code that I have had for a few weeks, well it decided to magically go away on Sunday... I assumed it would pop back up, but so far it's been 4 days of driving with no check engine light anymore...

I would hate to assume that any possible issue just "fixed itself"...

Question: What route should I take next:

a) Should I still make an appointment with a Volvo Indy to try and "diagnose" the CEL issue even with the CEL light off? Not knowing how VIDA/DICE really works, will they even be able to decipher anything using VIDA/DICE if the CEL is light is no longer showing an issue?

b) Should I just continue to drive it since it no longer has a CEL and shows no noticeable degradation in performance?

I still plan to order VIDA/DICE for myself, but recent computer issues have left me to delay this purchase...

Thanks in advance
Jody

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If it goes away and stays away, count your blessings and hope it was a transient problem that went away.

It could be that you had a fuel contamination issue that was effecting pump performance that has finally subsided or been diluted and/or pumped away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts