SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 2004 v70r and about 3 hours after i left the cel came on . i got 3 codes from it . U0073 P0863 and p0503 . the car is now in limp mode . i took it to the volvo dealership in tory michigan and they wanted 300 just to look at it . i have never paid this much for anyone to look at a car . is there any other places in michigan that i should go .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems a little excessive. Is that to diagnose or just scan with VIDA? Those codes are interesting to say the least. A cursory search dug up this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?193487-2004-xc70-ECM-problems-HELP!!!!

Maybe it's the CEM?
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information

Condition
The control modules communicate with each other in a network via a standardized serial communication procedure - CAN (Controller Area Network) - for exchange of information. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-E003 is stored if the engine control module (ECM) registers a software fault where the software does not correspond to the car's other configuration does not communicate with the engine control modules.

Substitute value
- CAN communication is disabled
- cruise control shut off
- fuel shut-off system which follows accelerator pedal (AP) position
- throttle closure when braking.

Possible source
- faulty software in engine control module (ECM)
- defective control module
- This diagnostic trouble code is generated in combination with other trouble codes. Information on the possible root cause is described.

Fault symptom
- General orange warning lamp lit
- cruise control does not function at all
- engine judders under acceleration
- engine judders heavily after engine braking
- uneven idle.
I would recommend going to a Volvo dealer ( I like Sesi Volvo 734-668-6100) Request John Demmink to work on your car, He own a V70R. I suspect they will need to update and reload the software in your vehicle. I tell people that they should request their software be updated about every 2-years.

on the other side of the state i ran in to this guy at cars and coffee . this is what he sent me .

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Did you get those codes from VIDA or a generic obdii scanner?

Also worth it to check the battery. If it's original and dying it can cause lots of fun issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the battery is from 2007 . i used a normal scanner. it started to do this in Pittsburgh. i called a few places but they could not help me out on that short notice .

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
I assume you meant "Troy", Michigan. If so, P2 Owner's Map shows user "AsianR" as "Description 2006 S60R, Can also find me at Suburban Volvo of Troy. Email [email protected]"

A battery from 2007 may well need to be replaced. My 06's battery needed replaced 3 years ago. Easiest way to check to to stop at your nearest Advance Auto or equivalent and have them test it for free.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Reset the ECU and see if it comes back. Is still check the battery though. Almost everywhere will do it for free. It needs to be scanned with VIDA.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Battery can cause all sorts of weird issues. It seems like every owner has experienced something different due to low battery. Mine showed itself as a low voltage on the MAF. Others have had their entire speedometer cluster light up like a Christmas tree.

It's a good starting point for sure. My battery was original from 2006 and went out in 2012. Yours is older than that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had a EE at work tell me that the older the batter gets it filters out less noise . i am thinking the battery is filtering out noise over the CAN .

·
3,899 Posts
Dealerships suck, just like volume Detailers. The good techs work, get experience, leave an run their own shop... Dealers are Monkeys and thieves.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
if i do this my self how would i go about doing this . they asked 140 per hour and a 70 just to reprogram it . i told them 105 is the most anyone should pay per hour .

·
3,899 Posts
if i do this my self how would i go about doing this . they asked 140 per hour and a 70 just to reprogram it . i told them 105 is the most anyone should pay per hour .
PM a member in michigan who is in MI, I'm sure they can recommend a good shop for you. Or just google search volvo shops an read the reviews, they're usually pretty good. I've found plenty of good shops through google an yelp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PM a member in michigan who is in MI, I'm sure they can recommend a good shop for you. Or just google search volvo shops an read the reviews, they're usually pretty good. I've found plenty of good shops through google an yelp.
i found someone willing to help .

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you just need to reset the ecu and clear the codes without actually finding out what they are, you can remove I believe fuses 12 and 19 (for my 06 R anyways) in the front and try to start the car. that should get rid of the CEL at least temporarily. It could just be a stored code that needs to be reset and doesn't actually mean something is not communication or needs addressing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Check out xemodex. They do reman cems, have a video on how to replace it. They can even program it, couple of options for diy.
Google them, should pop up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts