SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my 2006 V70R (automatic) a couple weeks back, and noticed that the idle revs were lower than normal (usually around 1500 on startup, settles down to around 800; this day the revs never went above 700).

After about 15 minutes of driving, I noticed a lot of chugging on acceleration and the transmission went into and stayed in 3rd gear. After a bit, the 'D' (drive) went away and was replaced by a '-'. Since this day, when starting, the revs remain low. When driving there is hesitation/chugging/stalling after about 10 minutes of normal driving. The message center says something like 'anti-skid service required' and 'engine maintenance required'.

Took it to a mechanic today and he plugged it in, and we received the error codes below. I have NO IDEA what to do or where to start my search for a solution. Battery and alternator tested fine, too. I am desperate.

P0240
P0101
P0089
P1719
P0101
P0170
810D
126B
310C
315C
313C
121B
212D
21ED
0A31

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is this data from a VIDA scan or a generic reader? If not VIDA, it would probably be more helpful if you could get a VIDA scan which would be more specific than what you get with a generic scanner. Basically you have gone into "limp home" mode but with all these codes listed here it is hard to tell what might be the root cause. I've had similar behaviour on my P2s with the solutions ranging from a gearbox selector position switch to a PEM (fuel pump module). So until you can narrow it down a bit, you are probably going to get pretty frustrated trying to find the true fault.

One of the problems with these things is that you can have a fault electrically in a component and it can cascade thru the network causing subsequent but false errors. As an example, when the PEM went in my R it was caused by corrosion where the harness leads attached to the circuit board. Until it went out enough to tell it was the PEM, I had had a alternator fault coming and going for a year usually coming on when things got really wet from driving on really wet roads or sitting out during one of our monsoon-like nor'easters. This continued despite an alternator and battery change. Finally I went into serious limp home mode which allowed me to basically limp home it was so bad with the car giving up the ghost in the driveway. A VIDA scan showed a bunch of errors but with all of those, the PEM seemed a logical place to start. Fortunately having a spare on hand, first try fixed the immediate problem and I haven't had an alternator fault since then. Not exactly an orderly correction, but hopefully you get the idea of how these things can go when you have a "massive" shutdown like this.

Good Luck,

Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. The scan was indeed done by a generic scanner, and it sounds like I need to find someone with a VIDA. Interestingly, and similar to your experience, these issues presented themselves the day after driving in a really heavy snowstorm and slushy roads here in Salt Lake City.

I'll have a more comprehensive scan done and will post my results. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going in to have it scanned at the dealership on Saturday. In the meantime I wanted to provide a bit more definition to the error codes that I provided (which I probably should have done in the first place):

P0240 - Turbocharger/supercharger boost sensor B circuit range/performance
P0101 - Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance
P0089 - Fuel pressure regulator 1 performance
P1719 - Skip Shift Solenoid Circuit
P0101 - Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance (not sure why this was displayed twice...)
P0170 - Fuel trim (bank 1)
810D - Power supply (5-volt)
126B - Boost pressure sensor
310C - Misfire, at least one cylinder
315C - Misfire cylinder 5
313C - Misfire cylinder 3
3110 - Misfire cylinder 1
121B - Mass airflow sensor
2900 - Fuel pressure
212D - Long term fuel trim, bank 2
21ED - Long term fuel trim, bank 1
0032 - HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
0A31 - No DTC definition found
0101 - Communication between control units

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just guessing here since this kind of catastrophic codes situation makes it hard to tell, but I'm thinking that the "0101" code is one of the basic ones that could be causing many of the others to come up. I got the same one (or at least the VIDA equivalent) when my PEM croaked. Not to say that is what it is but one quick check on that is to see if your PEM is still hanging off the right side of the fuel tank in the vicinity of the fuel filter. If it is, it is right down there in the slop and over time corrosion will take its toll. On the other hand, if it is located inside near the spare tire well, then it is more than likely another electrical fault that is the source of these cascading codes.

Anyway, maybe something to check out.

Good Luck,

Bill

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
I'm gonna tell you I will bet a dollar it's alternator or battery, maybe both. I had weird issues on the XC and the VR with this type of problem. Now that they both have a new alternator and the XC has a new battery, they are both totally fine. Battery and alternator 'tested' fine means nothing. I went to three places, read online and even tested it myself and the charging checked out until it finally left me stranded (VR) and the XC left ALL of us stranded (on the driver's test for my son it limped back to MVA ..LOL). Go to someone who really knows what these cars are like and have it checked into VIDA for a diagnostic. I may in fact even bet TWO dollars.
I am going in to have it scanned at the dealership on Saturday. In the meantime I wanted to provide a bit more definition to the error codes that I provided (which I probably should have done in the first place):

P0240 - Turbocharger/supercharger boost sensor B circuit range/performance
P0101 - Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance
P0089 - Fuel pressure regulator 1 performance
P1719 - Skip Shift Solenoid Circuit
P0101 - Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance (not sure why this was displayed twice...)
P0170 - Fuel trim (bank 1)
810D - Power supply (5-volt)
126B - Boost pressure sensor
310C - Misfire, at least one cylinder
315C - Misfire cylinder 5
313C - Misfire cylinder 3
3110 - Misfire cylinder 1
121B - Mass airflow sensor
2900 - Fuel pressure
212D - Long term fuel trim, bank 2
21ED - Long term fuel trim, bank 1
0032 - HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1