SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

CD-R compatibility with Multy Media Module (CD player)

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  d_man 
#1 ·
I recall this topic briefly touched in the past, but my search monkeys refused to bring me anything.
Anyway, what type of CD-R's do you guys use for burning CD's? I accidentally bought a stack of no-name unbranded CD blanks which were perfectly compatible to my MMM, but I ran our of them, and now I'm having a hard time finding the right CD's, whichever type I try - they all won't play. So far incompatibles are:
Plasmon
HP (CMC Magnetics)
Maxell CD-RW (Plasmon)

Anybody can tell which manufacturers/CD-r's are compatible, based on their experience?

tia

#4 ·
The key to most Volvo CD players with CD-Rs is to get the ones that "finalize"
Most people think all CD-Rs finalize but most do not...you can add to them just not change what's on there. Maxell makes some in a pink wrapper that finalize. These should work. Hope that helps.

#5 ·
Re: (Big Will)

Well, neither Philips nor Memorex work for me, I've just tested both. The funny thing is that both those brands are made by CTC, exactly the no-name which IS working on my MMM. It starts loading a CD but never actually reads it, and when I hit "eject" - it ejects forever, until I stick something sharp inside and scratch the CD to damage the surface, then at some point CDROM sees it as "unreadable" and spits it out. Ugly and painful way of testing CDRs...

I always finalize/close CD's when burn them, so it should not be an issue. (I'm not sure why you Big Will mention that CDRs finalize, it's an option in burning applications, not a HW thingy AFAIK. At least I've never came across CDRs that do or do not finalize a session)
It looks like I'm stuck with my 10+ CD's I've left working, and no iPOD integration in sight, that really sux
I'm curious if 6-pack changer w/MP3 capability from MY2007 will be backward compatible and offered as an accessory

Tx everybody, I hope you all had a nice weekend

#6 ·
Re: (d_man)

Ha, disregard all incompatibility list. After purchasing 3 stacks of CD's and damaging numerous ones - problem solved. It's somehow related to the burning app + OS + whatever else in that particular setup. I tried to burn a CD on another computer and it worked like a charm

I came across an old CDR which was playing OK, but the new ones from this very stack were all failing. It got me thinking that it's not a HW problem. Tried to reduce write speed, avoid CD text and whatnot, until decided to try another computer...

Thanks everybody for the tips and assistance, cheers.

#8 ·
Re: (d_man)

Good that you found a solution. To me it sounds like your other burner's laser is fading and that causes weak results. That has happened to me and after the problem first appeared, the burner died in a couple of weeks.

My experiences with the Volvo player are mainly very good. So far it has played all my burned CD-Rs flawlessly, regardless of CD brand.

#9 ·
Re: (FinnSpeed)

It's a fairly new DVD burner, but it just struck me - I might get this un-readables "after" I had the burner replaced, it a sort of coincides in time. Too bad I haven't noticed exact point when I started creating coasters off CDrs

However, they are OK to read from the same burner, I'm going to check tonight if another CDROMs read them too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.