SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to add a CD player to a 2018 v90 XC, one that will work with the car's controls in the B&W audio system? I just bought a certified 2018 V90XC with the B&W audio but no CD player. Since I have no way to put ultra high def digital tracks on a thumb drive, I have a superb sound system limited to inferior sources - satellite radio and MP3 or iTunes files.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ask the dealer to install the Volvo OEM one, it goes on the center console.

Or invest in a PC with CD drive and create .flac lossless files on a USB, that's what many others did, and you can have all your discs readily available at any time.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll look up how to create .flac lossless files on my PC. My dealer says the '18 V90XC is not pre-wired for the CD player. Is this correct?

·
Registered
586 Posts
That is correct. The cars leave the factory built exactly as ordered, so not much is pre-wired anymore like the good old days (probably to cut costs). However, I was told IT CAN STILL BE DONE, but the cost of fairly substantial wiring and programming would not be worth it. As a music lover / collector, the lack of a CD in my '18 Chinese-made S90 drove me bat sh*t crazy to the point I traded it on a V90 I ordered through Volvo's "build & price" Web site (the deal was too good to pass up). With the exception of the V90, Volvo, like other carmakers, is trying to make itself look high tech by not offering CD players in their cars (or at least making the cars pre-wired so they can be sold as a dealer added accessory), a move that I personally feel is stupid. My dad has a new S60 and had to tell his neighbor friend who always makes him CDs of his favorite music to stop because he no longer has any medium to enjoy them. For the record, my dad at age 76 is not tech savvy AT ALL.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I insist on spinning CDs on my home systems (maybe just in my head, but I believe that CD will always produce superior sound vs all other digital formats). I was delighted to find that a CPO V90 that came along when I was in the market had the CD player installed. I've always spent more time selecting which CDs to take on a road trip than in deciding what clothes to pack. But I have been ripping my favorite CDs to a USB stick. I like not being distracted by ejecting / putting disc back in jewel case / opening another jewel case / inserting new disc / closing console lid -- all while negotiating traffic at highway speeds. Probably more importantly, many of my favorite CDs are no longer available, so I worry about scratching them while fumbling with them in the car. I now prefer to leave them safely at home. I have the B&W audio. I don't notice any degradation in sound when comparing thumb drive to CD.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I insist on spinning CDs on my home systems (maybe just in my head, but I believe that CD will always produce superior sound vs all other digital formats). I was delighted to find that a CPO V90 that came along when I was in the market had the CD player installed. I've always spent more time selecting which CDs to take on a road trip than in deciding what clothes to pack. But I have been ripping my favorite CDs to a USB stick. I like not being distracted by ejecting / putting disc back in jewel case / opening another jewel case / inserting new disc / closing console lid -- all while negotiating traffic at highway speeds. Probably more importantly, many of my favorite CDs are no longer available, so I worry about scratching them while fumbling with them in the car. I now prefer to leave them safely at home. I have the B&W audio. I don't notice any degradation in sound when comparing thumb drive to CD.
I was disappointed that I could not order my 2018 V90CC OR with a CD player, even though it was available on the regular V90 CC's! While I don't use CD's in my home - see below - my wife used to borrow tons of CD's and kids's CD's from the library for our road trips. Was a great way to explore and entertain the kids while driving. Ripping short-term borrowed discs takes far too much time and is not time-effective. We just want to stick the CD in and give them a quick listen to see if they are any good.

That said, and with all due respect, spinning CD's in your home will not produce superior sound to *all* other digital formats. Get yourself a Tidal or Quboz HiFi/Hi-Res account and a good network streamer/endpoint and you can stream pretty much anything in redbook/CD + sound quality. In fact, a lot of music on Tidal is now available in MQA, and Quboz streams 24/192 hi-res ... both of which will generally sound *better* than your 16/44 discs (arguments about the human capacity for resolution and the need for hi-res notwithstanding).

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I was disappointed that I could not order my 2018 V90CC OR with a CD player, even though it was available on the regular V90 CC's! While I don't use CD's in my home - see below - my wife used to borrow tons of CD's and kids's CD's from the library for our road trips. Was a great way to explore and entertain the kids while driving. Ripping short-term borrowed discs takes far too much time and is not time-effective. We just want to stick the CD in and give them a quick listen to see if they are any good.

That said, and with all due respect, spinning CD's in your home will not produce superior sound to *all* other digital formats. Get yourself a Tidal or Quboz HiFi/Hi-Res account and a good network streamer/endpoint and you can stream pretty much anything in redbook/CD + sound quality. In fact, a lot of music on Tidal is now available in MQA, and Quboz streams 24/192 hi-res ... both of which will generally sound *better* than your 16/44 discs (arguments about the human capacity for resolution and the need for hi-res notwithstanding).

CD's are just digital music loaded onto a disk. Generally Mp3 Format. If you rip music in flac format, it's lossless.

·
Registered
423 Posts
CD's are just digital music loaded onto a disk. Generally Mp3 Format. If you rip music in flac format, it's lossless.
That's not true. CD's are a 44.1 KHz 16-bit sample of analog audio. It covers the full frequency range of human hearing and then some. MP3's are compressed and lossy audio files that depending on the resolution can sound quite terrible. They are literally removing certain chunks of frequencies from the audio file. Even the best MP3's are nowhere close to the resolution of audio on a CD. You can burn MP3's onto a CD and play them on players that accept that, but by nature CD's do not contain MP3's or anything close to MP3's.

·
Registered
855 Posts
is this CD or DVD player? since P3 cars all had dvd player build in not just cd.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's not true. CD's are a 44.1 KHz 16-bit sample of analog audio. It covers the full frequency range of human hearing and then some. MP3's are compressed and lossy audio files that depending on the resolution can sound quite terrible. They are literally removing certain chunks of frequencies from the audio file. Even the best MP3's are nowhere close to the resolution of audio on a CD. You can burn MP3's onto a CD and play them on players that accept that, but by nature CD's do not contain MP3's or anything close to MP3's.
Agreed, although if you convert CD tracks (wav files basically) to a high bitrate mp3, it'll retain the quality, such that it is in that frequency range. 320K mp3's are large but won't kill the audio, in fact to most trained ears it'll be identical. Most people created 128K mp3's back in the day, and they lost half the audio data (or more) in compression, and tend to sound poor.

What I ended up doing was, a few years ago, buying a little iPod nano, converting stuff like records to flac files, then re-encoding them to 320K mp3's and loading them onto the ipod. Once you load it up, you plug it into the usb port where it gets power forever and the car handles it easily. This is my second car with this setup; I used it in my Lexus GS 350 then brought it along when I got an S90.

Gak: One last thing you can do, if you had the misfortune to buy stuff via iTunes, is to go dig around in the settings and get iTunes to download the higher quality versions of what you've already bought. I forget how to do this but it's well documented, it'll let you download high bitrate mp3's without the AAC overcompression.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Agreed, although if you convert CD tracks (wav files basically) to a high bitrate mp3, it'll retain the quality, such that it is in that frequency range. 320K mp3's are large but won't kill the audio, in fact to most trained ears it'll be identical.
I would beg to differ. It's a shame someone would push a lossy 320 mbps MP3 through the highly revealing B&W system in their Volvo ...

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
You are correct and I am wrong. However, flac is lossless and it seems the native file for Mp3 is actually .wav. However, CDs hold only 80 minutes or 700MB. Meaning the higher the audio quality, the less tracks you can burn. You can easily RIP cds into .wav or flac and put them onto a usb stick.

·
Registered
416 Posts
As Scootss60 pointed out, cars are not necessarily prewired for a CD player so just ordering the playback unit won't do it. I may be a bit messy, but aren't there portable players that you can just plug into a USB port (similar to the last generation that had a blank cassette that you could insert to play CD's)?

·
Registered
202 Posts
As Scootss60 pointed out, cars are not necessarily prewired for a CD player so just ordering the playback unit won't do it. I may be a bit messy, but aren't there portable players that you can just plug into a USB port (similar to the last generation that had a blank cassette that you could insert to play CD's)?
There are but quality will be worse than mp3.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
I wouldn't trust what a random dealer told someone. I'll go back and check, but I don't remember there being a separate part number for that tunnel section of wiring..

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would beg to differ. It's a shame someone would push a lossy 320 mbps MP3 through the highly revealing B&W system in their Volvo ...
You can agree to disagree, but with the right codec options (constant instead of variable bitrate), a 320k mp3 is equal to a CD.

Now, if you want to discuss the blasphemy of my 24/192 FLAC rips from my vinyl hifi setup going into mp3 format, yeah, you'd have a point. But this is a deep, old rabbit hole into audiophile land that would bore just about everyone to tears. That's why I lament the loss of a DVD audio player in the B&W system, I can't use my vinyl rip DVD's at full resolution in it. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Associated part numbers needed for factory CD player installation

I see nbVolks above has listed a part number for the actual cd player itself. What about the wiring harness necessary to connect it to the main radio "brain" as well as the trim pieces needed to modify the console "tunnel" in preparation for mounting and wiring the cd player? Anyone have parts numbers for all the pieces needed to add the factory CD player to a 2018 Volvo S90 with the B&W system ? I realize the dealers most likely will not be willing to add it themselves but a talented car stereo installer should be able to do this for less than $200 labor or so?

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you're serious about it, head to a volvo service center and quiz the parts department. They've got exploded drawings of everything they can drill into and get you part numbers for a DIY project like this.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I see nbVolks above has listed a part number for the actual cd player itself. What about the wiring harness necessary to connect it to the main radio "brain" as well as the trim pieces needed to modify the console "tunnel" in preparation for mounting and wiring the cd player? Anyone have parts numbers for all the pieces needed to add the factory CD player to a 2018 Volvo S90 with the B&W system ? I realize the dealers most likely will not be willing to add it themselves but a talented car stereo installer should be able to do this for less than $200 labor or so?
Open your center console, remove the carpeted/felt insert. Do you see an unused plug tucked in there anywhere? If yes, you're good to go.

I went back and looked at the part numbers for the center console wiring. There's a bunch of different options that seem to maybe be related to which climate zone option you have, usb ports and plug option, lighting, etc.

But seriously, the best/easiest option is just to actually remove the liner and see if you see the connector there. Keep in mind it might be taped/wrapped so really look around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts