SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should probably be in the car audio forum, but it doesn't look like much goes on there. Anyway, I can't find an installation kit for my car. Is installing a CD player any tougher than other car because of the automatic antenna or anything? Can I just have some general information about the process of it? I've not done this before...<br>Thanks like, thhhhiiiiiiis much

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: CD player installation (Jake)

I dont know if you already got what you needed, but I think I can help. Ok, you will have to get a copy of the wiring for the radio wire harness, first off, I cant remember it off the top of my head, and second, its better for you to have a copy. I found it online, I forget were, so you will have to hunt, but I think someone knows. Infact I think there is a link in the car audio forum on this site. <p>As for the basic install of the headunit, its probably more straightforword than in most cars, but will seem too simply. If you dont like my way, then sorry, come up with your own. The opening width is exactly the width of a typical headunit and its metal sleeve. There is an area in the opening that is out farther than the rest, I used a dremel to carefully even out the openeing, so that the metal sleeve fith without issue. It is going to stay in place by pressure. If you are not comefortable with this you can do what I did, I added a piece of back strapping and screwed that into the car. That requires a bit of fabricating and playing around, and I have to say, it was a real pain to make, and I cut myself a few times. I dont think its needed, but it will ensure that the headunit couldnt fall out no matter what. However, I think you would have to be in a pretty serious accident to manage to dislodge the headunit. Anyway you isntall the metal sleeve, and then the headunit will simply slide in, but first you have to wire this thing up.<p>As for wiring it up, this is how I did it. I bought wire taps and isntalled them on all the wires. Then I put connectors on the headunits wiring harness, connectors that would connect with the wire taps. These were all from 3M, and I ordered them from Parts Express, however I think they are available from a hardware store. Then I used the wiring diagram I got off the internet to hook up all the wires. With a very simple install that should work fine, however my install is a bit more complex and I had some problems. The Turn on lead seemed not powerful enough to trigger the headunits power along with the preamp and amps, etc. It was strange and had to do with the design of my heaudnit and way my components were installed. Anyway, in this case what had to be done was I used the turn on to switch a relay, which was hooked to the + and - power connections. My system actually has 12 guage power wire coming straight from the battery, like an amp would, and its switched from the original power connection and the relay, as I described. Now this is a complex added expense, and you probably wont need to do this, but incase you run into the same problem, that is how I fixed it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Re: CD player installation (pj's 850)

Go to Crutchfield, they will give you an adapter kit free. Very easy, intalled one in a Dodge grand caravan and a Toyota Camry.<p>-Poritz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts