SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had no luck finding the answer to playing CD audio books in my new S60. Only connection I can find is the usb like the car play is hooked to. What have new owners done to be able to play CDs??? Thanks from DFW TX

·
Registered
158 Posts
Best bet is to rip them from CD to a mp3 and copy to a USB stick.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
228 Posts
When I ordered my 2020 V90 Inscription, I selected the CD player option. It's a single disk player that's installed in the center console storage box. Not sure how the wiring is hooked up, but the connections must be in the center console area. I noticed, in trying to configure a 2021 model, that the CD player is no longer an option.

I'm old-school and can remember when an 8-track tape player was a big deal in a car. While I realize that, for many, the world has moved from CDs to digitized media, why the manufacturers chose their non-CD approach is beyond me. I also enjoy books-on-CD (used to be cassette tape!), and also have numerous musical CDs that I like to listen to, and don't want to invest the time to move to my phone.

Amazon has a car CD player that allows one to plug into the car's USB port. Honestly, it looks identical to the one Volvo installed in my center console.

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-I...eakers&qid=1606145740&sr=8-19&tag=googhydr-20

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Have had no luck finding the answer to playing CD audio books in my new S60. Only connection I can find is the usb like the car play is hooked to. What have new owners done to be able to play CDs??? Thanks from DFW TX
Per other's suggestions, rip the cds to mp3s and stick them on a USB drive. If you are unsure how to rip, use a free program like VLC Player. It's very simple and heasy. Here's a guide on how to use it to rip cds: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-rip-cds-with-vlc

If you still wish to use your CD's and don't want to rip, then your other option is to find a blutooth cd player and connect it to your vehicle. At this point (2020) all major players have exited the market, so you'll be stuck with no name brands. https://www.amazon.com/HOTT-CD711T-Rechargeable-Headphones-Protection-Black/dp/B086GC6DGB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+portable+cd+player+for+car+use&qid=1606149952&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Blutooth will allow you to pair the cd player with your vehicle and output through the speakers.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
When I ordered my 2020 V90 Inscription, I selected the CD player option. It's a single disk player that's installed in the center console storage box. Not sure how the wiring is hooked up, but the connections must be in the center console area. I noticed, in trying to configure a 2021 model, that the CD player is no longer an option.

I'm old-school and can remember when an 8-track tape player was a big deal in a car. While I realize that, for many, the world has moved from CDs to digitized media, why the manufacturers chose their non-CD approach is beyond me. I also enjoy books-on-CD (used to be cassette tape!), and also have numerous musical CDs that I like to listen to, and don't want to invest the time to move to my phone.

Amazon has a car CD player that allows one to plug into the car's USB port. Honestly, it looks identical to the one Volvo installed in my center console.

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-I...eakers&qid=1606145740&sr=8-19&tag=googhydr-20
The same reason manufacturers moved away from integrated cassette decks. Obsolescence. It is 2020 and physical mediums are not in high demand. Few people buy CD's. Most purchase digital music and put them on solid state media (thumb drives). Making the need for 3rd party devices (tape decks, cd players, etc) a thing of the past.

2019 onward S60s do not appear to possess a compartment allowing for the install of a cd player. I suggest OP pick up a portable one with blutooth per my suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Vinyl outsold CDs last year in the US. That's about all you need to know for why.

As for how to listen to vinyl or CDs in your car, I think you do have to convert it to another media device such as a USB drive. I don't think the RCA to USB devices work with the cars system, I think they need to use a computer, but I could be wrong. I don't think the Volvo will pick up a non-phone/tablet bluetooth either. I honestly haven't tried it, but I had a customer try and they said it didn't work, but it could have been an user issue. They declined to bring it it for me to try.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had CD's in all of my vehicles for a long time - until this one. I have a huge iPod (the hard disk version) that I've copied all of my 400+ CDs to it. It is still less than 40% full at this point. Anyway, I plug that into the USB port in my V60 CC's console and use that when I want to listen to older songs. Other than that, I normally use Spotify on the highest quality setting. Sounds great on my Bowers and Wilkins system.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Demand and packaging. By excluding the CD player, they no longer have to deal with finding 6-8" of depth required for the device within the dash. My previous car was a 3rd generation Acura TL...which has a 6-disk in-dash changer...along with a cassette player. I had that car for over 12 years...when was the last time a CD/DVD was played in that car?? Pretty sure it was in 2014'ish on the way to see The Urge in concert when friends handed us a CD to listen to on the drive. Otherwise it was FM Radio or something from my phone...via a cassette adapter. :p

Otherwise, I do agree with the other suggestions. Rip it down to a USB drive or your phone and go from there. I even showed my 75'ish year old FIL how to do this so he could listen to his various book on tape/disk when he was on vacation. If using a Windows PC, you don't even have to load additional software...Windows Media Player can handle all of this for you if you want.

You know....until this thread came up...I don't think I even realized there was not a CD/DVD player in my V60. I had never even thought to ask/look for it. I don't know that the player in my wife's car, which we bought in 2015, has ever had a disk inserted yet.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
228 Posts
Mach2guy, I checked with my local library regarding ebooks. On their site, it provides the ability to download an ebook, free of charge for a set number of days, to my android phone. This can also be done for an Apple phone. If you're just interested in ebooks, perhaps this can solve the issue you raised. Were I to want to listen to an audio book, this is the option I'd choose. As for my old music CDs, I'll continue to old-school with my CD player.

·
Registered
Volvo S60 T4 MY20
138 Posts
I sadly gave up on using my 120GB/160GB iPod Classic in my MY20 S60. It constantly kept locking up and rebooting. Even when filling it only partially.

Too bad, since I now have to use a USB stick which is limited to 15.000 songs, and not my full library of CDs on hand.

But no, I do not miss the CD player in this car. In my previous V60 I only used it occasionally to play Dolby Surround music discs.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
This is definitely a generational issue. How many people under 50 pick up a physical newspaper these days? People read their news online because it's faster, instantaneous, and up to date. Newspapers are a day late and a dollar short.

Same with music. A thumb drive or SD card can hold 10's of thousands of songs. While we all still have our Old Casettes and CD's, they mostly collect dust. I either use my phone as a hotspot to power Pandora or Play music through my phone to car via blutooth.

Lugging around physical medium is a proverbial Pain in the Ass when everything is digital.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
This is definitely a generational issue. How many people under 50 pick up a physical newspaper these days? People read their news online because it's faster, instantaneous, and up to date. Newspapers are a day late and a dollar short.

Same with music. A thumb drive or SD card can hold 10's of thousands of songs. While we all still have our Old Casettes and CD's, they mostly collect dust. I either use my phone as a hotspot to power Pandora or Play music through my phone to car via blutooth.

Lugging around physical medium is a proverbial Pain in the Ass when everything is digital.
Enjoy the chatter about this CD topic and agree with your generational comment. My guess is that, particularly for the more expensive vehicles in Volvo's lineup, a good portion of the people with the spare money to purchase them may be above age 50. As for me, age 66, it's not that I can't digitize my stuff; it's just that I'd rather not spend my time doing it. There's a myriad of Sirius stations, so it's easy to find what I'd like to listen to.

I feel like I'm in a Twlight Zone (that's a TV show circa 1956-1964) dealing with ever changing "technology". Maybe, one day, I'll buy an electric car and be all caught up with technology (at least for a Nano second). This will make my grandkids happy, and give me something to figure out. As for now, I'll continue to read a "paper" newspaper (in additional to digital access to the NY Times and Washington Post), read hard-copy books and use my car's nav system instead of Android Auto, LOL. PS: I'm still trying to recover from the realization that my V90 doesn't have an engine oil dipstick!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Enjoy the chatter about this CD topic and agree with your generational comment. My guess is that, particularly for the more expensive vehicles in Volvo's lineup, a good portion of the people with the spare money to purchase them may be above age 50. As for me, age 66, it's not that I can't digitize my stuff; it's just that I'd rather not spend my time doing it. There's a myriad of Sirius stations, so it's easy to find what I'd like to listen to.
You're probably right for the most part, except maybe on east and west coast, where salaries are much higher due to cost of living. Where a younger crowd can afford to splurge on a 60-70K SUV. Not being a member of this exclusive crowd, I drive an 15.5 FWD S60 I bought with ~2000 miles as a demo / loaner CPO for $32k.

I'm 38 so you've got 28 years on me. I grew up not owning a computer (expensive as hell) and no internet. But by the time I was 16, computers and the internet began to become more of a mainstay. And I got my first computer in 1998. So I consider myself proficient on at least the basics, so much that I've been stuck helping my 70 year old mother acclimate to technology. First, reassuring her that touching a computer will not break it. She's learned. Then about a year or so ago to get a smart phone. She insisted that flip phones were all she ever needed. Now I chuckle. She has facebook, texts, takes pictures, browses the web, etc. But getting her there was a triumphal feet analogous to solving world hunger.

So back to the original point, 50+ crowd are generally not as proficient and prefer to retain physical media and print items (books, newspapers, etc). To be honest, I don't think you would be wasting a lot of time digitizing your music. Take a couple days to throw in CD, Rip it, and move on to the next. It's a pretty expedient process. [Like you though, I utilize Pandora (use my phone as hotspot) or stream songs through my phone via blutooth using youtube.

I've never been huge on creating playlists.

I feel like I'm in a Twlight Zone (that's a TV show circa 1956-1964) dealing with ever changing "technology". Maybe, one day, I'll buy an electric car and be all caught up with technology (at least for a Nano second)
Technology is rapidly changing, but the wheel isn't being reinvented. Instead of people being tied to desktops, laptops are more of a mainstay. And smart phones are often replacing laptops for quick and on the go needs. Changes are following a logical line of progression. Unlike statistics from 20 years ago when only 50% of Americans had a computer and only 41% had the internet. Here's a graph of how much the world has changed since the 1980s! Graph is from the United States 2000 Census.

computers.jpg

This will make my grandkids happy, and give me something to figure out. As for now, I'll continue to read a "paper" newspaper (in additional to digital access to the NY Times and Washington Post), read hard-copy books and use my car's nav system instead of Android Auto, LOL. PS: I'm still trying to recover from the realization that my V90 doesn't have an engine oil dipstick!
The lack of a physical dipstick is very irksome. My 15.5 decided to be an oil burner. I was ecstatic! However, I wasn't thrilled that I happened to check the digital dipstick and law "low oil" but no warning flashed on the dash. Volvo towed my car 90 miles to the dealer I patronize. They topped it off, replaced the pcv / breather, and sent me on my way. 2300-2500 miles as I rolled into the dealers bay, the low oil flipped on. All covered under CPO. Just not a fan of no dipstick to see where your oil levels truly stand. "Low Oil" is very generic! Anyway, I got new Piston Rings and Spark Plugs out of it.

I wish I had Android Auto. I'm not a huge fan of the Volvo proprietary navigational system in my 15.5 S60. I use it in conjunction with my Phone's Google Maps. Just as a backup if I'm driving to unfamiliar areas. Or if coverage is crap and I don't have a signal on my phone. Especially when I've traveled out west where cell phone signal is spotty and offline maps are crucial.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sometimes I am not sure if it's an age thing, the propensity to be "up" with technology. My Dad is 72 and an amateur musician, I helped him cart 1000lbs of vinyl off many years ago (Taurus wagon riding on the bumpstops ha). I think once I showed him how to rip his CD's one at a time to MP3 he's dumped all of those too. He listens to Spotify now. I grudgingly went that way too after clinging to my perhaps illegal ways ha. There are some things you just can't get if you are really into music and have some little known stuff but you pretty much have the whole world library of known music at your fingertips. It seems there are some that will just resist that stuff, it's understandable the paradigm shift in music from owning something forever it can be hard to get over to the idea you pay for the access and delivery of it. I got younger friends that won't subscribe to Spotify or Apple Music still using CDs or messing with trying to get memory cards to work.

I didn't stop too long in the USB and memory card stuff, there is just no standard that caught on in automotive electronics. I do miss the format of radio, you discover new music when somebody else picks the songs. Sirius/XM decided long ago that maximizing stations over music quality was the goal, so I never have gotten over the rubbish compressed quality, occasionally I do listen to it.

On Nav yeah I like to have the car system as a backup but I use Waze. I've been through all the permutations, I used to travel a ton for work, I would print out Mapquest directions and have them in a folder when I travelled, don't make a wrong turn LOL. Then I had a Garmin which was a game changer. I carried that with me all over, later as a backup for a long time once I had Google Maps, it seemed inevitable when I got into a rental car at 11:30p in a new city my phone would be almost dead and couldn't get reliable service. Once offline map cache came to Google Maps that became my backup and I tossed the Garmin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts