SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guy told me that my car uses fiber optics and that means my s40 can only use the factory changer. Is that true, or did he pull something out of his butt? <P>I have a 2001 s40, already has pre-wire for cd changer.<P>If he did pull it out, anyone recommend a cd changer out in the market?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fiber optics? Yeah, right.<P>Out of morbid curiosity I checked a couple weeks ago and as far as I can tell there are no adapter cords available. My dealer has several 6 disc 'Volvo' changers in stock for *only* $600 (each).<P>

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention, it's in the US.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buzz:<BR><B><BR> My dealer has several 6 disc 'Volvo' changers in stock for *only* $600 (each).<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><I>6-disc changer</I> for a 2001 S40? Only 10-disc changers are available from Volvo for this model year...6-disc changers were for 2000 models.<P>Yannis<BR><P>

·
Registered
188 Posts
asian01,<BR>I dunno if anyone else can confirm but I believe that S40's use Alpine units and if you are prewired, you just have to get the changer itself and an adaptor. The changer will cost you prob. 300 or 400 tops and the adaptor is like 5 or 15 bucks? I got this info from someone who works at the parts dept here in NY. The only thing is I don't know him too well so I dunno if he's BSing me or not. <P>As for fiber-optics, are there any companies that use them? I remembering seeing one of the new mercedes having them but didn't get the model series of the car. <P>

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe you will find that it is only up to 2000 that you can use the adapter cable with an Alpine CD changer, for 01 and newer stereo changed and I have not heard of any aftermarket cd changers for it yet, (though if anyone does know of one then I am sure there are lots of 01 x40 owners who would like to know)<BR>

·
Registered
5 Posts
In reference to the fiber optics, I am not sure about in the s40, but I know that the s80 runs via fiber optics, and the s60 most likely does as well. But, I am not even totally sure the s60 does, so the s40 and might...ask your dealer.<BR>Travis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts