SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiyas all,<BR>I just got a 2K1 S40 and did not get the CD changer option. I went back to the dealer and they told me it was gonna cost me 1300+ to have it installed!!!!! Can someone please tell me if I can purchase a changer by mysel and install it? My S40 is CD prewired as I see a serial cable coming into the upper inner part of my trunk. I was also told that Volvo uses Alpine equipment. With that in mind, can't I just go buy an alpine changer?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've also heard that Alpine's will work, though I don't know anyone who's tried it.<P>It's probably worth a try.. I think it's a pretty straightforward install, so there's no harm if it doesn't work... just return the unit if it doesn't work.<P><BR><P>

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 2000 S70 with the SC-816 radio and I installed the changer myself. All you need is any Alpine CHM-600 series changer and an $80 adapter from <A HREF="http://www.peripheral-aamp.com/prag_2001/peri_prag_0201_volvo.htm" TARGET=_blank>Peripheral</A>. <BR>Except, you're out of luck. They don't have an adapter for the 2001 models.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Russell (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*grrr.....* <P>that stinks! I guess I can live without the CD changer because I am not giving Volvo $1300 for a damn CD changer!

·
Registered
41 Posts
hope this isn't too late...<P>I seem to remember that you can get the volvo cd changer from the parts counter for less ($600) and do the install yourself. I'm trying to find the thread myself. My V40 should be arriving from the factory in the next 3 weeks and I want to get a changer too. I'd prefer to go with a Volvo unit since I seem to remember that in works with the radio for disc selection so a remote isn't needed.<P>If I find the info I'll repost it here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the audio system on the S40, however Volvo hasn't used Alpine equipment for many years. All Volvo audio and navigation equipment is manufactured by Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi's CD changer is a ten disc unit. I would asume that Mitsubishi has employed a proprietary communications bus to prevent compatibility with their aftermarket CD changers. <BR>The point is well taken that you can purchare a CD changer directly from the parts department of a dealership for much less money than if you buy it through the dealerships sales or service departments. When you buy an accessory through the sales department, you pay gross margin to the sales, service, and parts departments at the dealership. As a free agent doing your own install, you can 'shop' parts departments nationwide to negotiate the best deal possible. Remember that everything is negotiable. A prudent parts manager will sell a customer out of his trading area an item at a reduced gross margin if he can see this as a one time opportunity to make a sale to a customer he ordinarily wouldn't see, and a customer who clearly communicates that he's shopping for price. Negotiate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi all,<P>i just picked up a s60 t5, and i was shocked at the price of the changer. i went to a local circuit city, and a company named blitz makes an adapter that will hook up the the volvo head unit and allows you to run a alpine changer..the changer was $249 and the adapter was $112..i havent yet purchesed it but the salesman was unsure if the steering whell controls would control the changer. does anyone have any input on this? thanks<P>tom

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5Tom:<BR><B>hi all,<P>i just picked up a s60 t5, and i was shocked at the price of the changer. i went to a local circuit city, and a company named blitz makes an adapter that will hook up the the volvo head unit and allows you to run a alpine changer..the changer was $249 and the adapter was $112..i havent yet purchesed it but the salesman was unsure if the steering whell controls would control the changer. does anyone have any input on this? thanks<P>tom</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If the head unit controls all work for the CD changer, then the steering controls will work just fine. I can't remember though if the CD addition changer needs a computer download.<P>-Drew<BR>

·
Registered
20 Posts
i've done an extensive search, found that as of yet, no adapter is made for the '01 s60...we need to either wait or cough up $700 through the dealer...i'm waiting...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts