SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if there's anything out there of a list of which modules can be plug and play replaced, and which ones can't be or at least can't be without proper re-programing... That said, I'm curious if an identical part number CCM from the same model year can be plugged in and replaced and be good to go, or would it need reprogramming? I've read conflicting answers on this with some people reporting that they've done it with success, while others didn't have the same luck. The "no" answer (if that IS the true answer) is a difference of $350 for XemodeX to transfer the existing CCM programming to a "new" unit that's sent in along with the original. I sure wish that VIDA/DiCE had the ability to extract and copy a module's program software to deposit onto another module of the same to DIY in a situation like this...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It's probably stored in either flash or EEPROM memory in the CCM. If you can figure out how to read that memory and write it back, you're all set. Not sure if that is accessible through the CANBUS, or if there's a port on a circuit card somewhere.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably stored in either flash or EEPROM memory in the CCM. If you can figure out how to read that memory and write it back, you're all set. Not sure if that is accessible through the CANBUS, or if there's a port on a circuit card somewhere.
There's gotta be a way if XemodeX can do it. I'm not about trying to figure out how as it's most likely out of my realm, lol! That said, how feasible is swapping the CCM for an identical part# unit? Would it need re-programming? Are they specifically programmed to each car that they are in?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
There's gotta be a way if XemodeX can do it. I'm not about trying to figure out how as it's most likely out of my realm, lol! That said, how feasible is swapping the CCM for an identical part# unit? Would it need re-programming? Are they specifically programmed to each car that they are in?
My limited understanding is they are programmed to the car. But, for the price of a junkyard unit from the same year and part number, it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've always had good luck just swapping it in with the same part number.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One vote for plug & play. Thank you VargR! :thumbup:
And no issues or codes/faults popping up?
Never had an issues or codes that I can remember. I've also had success in swapping the AUM, DEM(03-06 only), SUM, and SAS. DDMs and PDMs seem to be 50/50. DIMs will usually work, but the mileage will be off unless programmed. The 2002+ BCM is an odd one, as cars with DSTC and without DSTC have the same part number, but they only play nice in cars with the same system. To no one's surprise ECMs, CEMs, REMs, and UEMs do not plug and play.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never had an issues or codes that I can remember. I've also had success in swapping the AUM, DEM(03-06 only), SUM, and SAS. DDMs and PDMs seem to be 50/50. DIMs will usually work, but the mileage will be off unless programmed. The 2002+ BCM is an odd one, as cars with DSTC and without DSTC have the same part number, but they only play nice in cars with the same system. To no one's surprise ECMs, CEMs, REMs, and UEMs do not plug and play.
Great info to know, thank you!

Now the dumb question, lol... So I have the part # for the CCM that needs replacing, it has to be matched with one that has the exact same buttons, correct? If the bad CCM doesn't have heated seat buttons, the new one can't either, right?

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great info to know, thank you!

Now the dumb question, lol... So I have the part # for the CCM that needs replacing, it has to be matched with one that has the exact same buttons, correct? If the bad CCM doesn't have heated seat buttons, the new one can't either, right?

The heated seat buttons or lack thereof doesn't matter. If the donor car doesn't have them and the recipient car does, you just pop out the blank and insert the buttons from the old one and vice versa. You can also rearrange the bottom row of buttons by removing the bezel if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going to snag up one of the better looking eBay finds that I see with the same button configuration and plug it in and see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the "new" CCM delivered the end of last week, and it's literally only 200 units apart in numbers to my original one. I'm unsure of the year of it, but it's most likely from the same year, probably made on the same day! Lol.

So basically I accidently (stupidly?) fried my original one. As many saw in the "what did you do with your S60 today" thread, I swapped out the bulbs for LEDs and it was perfect, except I was short 1 LED for one of the lower buttons. Got in new but different LEDs, and put one in which was a tight fit compared to the others I used. It must not have seated properly, as the moment I tested it out, smoke began to emit from behind the knobs of the CCM... I immediately turned off the key to cut power. It was dark out and I could see an orange glow through the fan knob LED lenses that slowly faded away as smoke kept emitting. Clearly something was on fire inside there! Disconnected the battery and called it a night. Tested it the next day, no functionality was lost and everything worked, except the unit no longer illuminated. Actually the button I had put the last LED into still lit up, weird. I pulled the unit and the LED that was closest to where I saw the glow. The LED was fried to a crisp. Got the new CCM, installed all of the LEDs, and it works and lights up perfectly exactly how I want it! For kicks I removed the computer board from my original CCM unit and now know why it won't light up anymore... Scary to know what actually happened and that it could have ended up worse. Safety first kids!! Also have attached a pic of the final finished product

IMG_20190528_214058.jpg IMG_20190531_235708.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts