SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As per this thread: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47247 I replaced the temperature sensor in the CCM.

Quote from the thread:

"I recently replaced my damaged sensor within the CCM (I broke one wire with a vacuum cleaner by accident, thought it was dirt) with a new NTC (R25 = 10 kOhm) from www.distrelec.com, EPCOS Type S863, part number 73 08 69
You can dismount the CCM, remove (desolder) the old NTC, solder in the new one, et voila, it will work again. After breaking the NTC wire the temperature did not hold (too hot even if 25 °C outside!).

It is not a VOLVO recommended hack, but a cheap DIY way to save lots of money not being forced to buy a complete new CCM while only a 5$ part is cracked.

Cheers
Frederic"

My climate control module wasn't regulating temp properly, looked in VIDA and was getting a code for passenger temp sensor faulty, looked in the little grill on the CCM and you could see two wires leading up to the sensor itself and one wire was snapped. Removed the CCM, opened it up, and desoldered the old wires from the board. Soldered in new temp sensor and put it back together. In VIDA, DTC is now gone and I manually looked at the cabin temperature parameter and it seems to be reading correctly. Whole job took under one hour, very easy.

I bought a few of these sensors in case other people wanted some. I have 3 available PM me if you want one, $8 shipped.

The site that the guy says he bought them from is not in the US and their site is a piece of sh!t. I got mine from a site called Digi-Key. Also the part number is no longer the same so I bought one that had the same specs that he specified.

Hopefully this will save someone out there some $$$. Replace a $5 part + one hour labor over replacing the whole CCM.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nice board level repair.

The Digi-key P/N# would be useful to have on record, or at least the full spec of the sensor.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Whenever I look at the cabin temp in VIDA, it's not close to what it actually is. It tends to read high. I thought all the electronics around the CCM might be impacting the temperature reading. But, maybe something else is going on.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice board level repair.

The Digi-key P/N# would be useful to have on record, or at least the full spec of the sensor.
Yeah for sure, here you go.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whenever I look at the cabin temp in VIDA, it's not close to what it actually is. It tends to read high. I thought all the electronics around the CCM might be impacting the temperature reading. But, maybe something else is going on.
Yeah probably not it's sort of isolated and there's a fan that brings air past the sensor. There's a temp offset in VIDA that will give you a couple degrees of offset.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Awesome! My mom's V70 is among the many P2s with a broken sensor from someone trying to clean "that little thing in there" out.

I'm always on the hunt for an identical CCM at a junkyard, but it's tougher to find than I thought.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove it to work today and climate control functioned as it should. Very hot in the car when I started it, set to auto 72 degrees. Cold air, hi fan speed and slow ramp down as it got closer to what I felt was 72 degrees. When it was broken, the CCM replaces the value with 25 degrees C or something like that so it will act sort of like a normal climate control in an older car. Also forgot to mention these wires are sleeved or whatever its called so probably a little more durable than the stock one with its bare wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts