SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Porsche better than the Volvo SUV? I own a Volvo V70 and I thinking about buying the XC90 or the Cayenne. The Cayenne does have some pros as does the XC90. Here are some the Cayenne pros. Tell me what do you think?

Save traction even on the roughest terrain:

As an option, Porsche offers the Advanced Offroad Technology Package for the most extreme off-pavement conditions. Apart from special side protection and a steel plate underfloor panel around the radiator, this package includes a fully controllable (up to 100 percent) differential lock on the rear axle. To fully activate the lock, the driver operates the central off-pavement switch a third time. The fully controlled rear axle lock then ensures even better traction when setting off on slippery surfaces with varying frictional coefficients and in bends.

The package also uses anti-roll bars on the front and rear axle, which are hydraulically activated and deactivated by a switch in the center console. This increases front and rear axle lock by 70 mm or 2.76 inches, which improves ride comfort by minimizing body sway and enhancing off-pavement driving qualities and traction when negotiating rocks, tree trunks or bumps.

To ensure the Cayenne's sporting driving qualities on the road, the anti- roll bars can only be disconnected in the low range mode. As soon as the Cayenne, with its anti-roll bars disconnected, returns from rough terrain to the road, the anti-roll bars are automatically reconnected once the vehicle exceeds 50 km/h or 31 mph to provide the additional stability required for on- pavement driving as a safety feature.

Starting price for the standard options-packed Turbo remains set at $88,900 while the 340-hp non-turbo S will start at $55,900.
For the Cayenne the standard 18-inch summer Y-rated units probably couldn't get you past the "R" in Rubicon, but the all-terrain option is 235/60Rs on all corners.
The air suspension can hold six different height settings from a stoop of 6.18 inches to a high of 10.75 inches of ground clearance.
Cayenne uses a 38/62-front/rear split. It can send 100 percent of traction to any single wheel if needed. This coupled with the Porsche Stability Management system originally seen on the Carrera 4S would explain the sheer confidence.
Nurburging Lap Time:

Cayenne Turbo: 8 minutes 42 seconds; for comparison the BMW M5 8 minutes 28 seconds

Chicagoland
'02 Volvo V70
'02 MB S-Class

Cayenne Video:

http://www.thenewsmarket.com/CatxHome/story1.asp?asset_id=6157

[Modified by chicagoland, 9:13 PM 11-21-2002]

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Re: Cayenne vs XC90 (chicagoland)

Umm...have you actually LOOKED at the Cayenne with your EYES? OK, I'll leave it alone since looks are subjective.

Regarding off road performance the XC90 does VERY well much to my surprise. If you check Motor Trend you'll see their off road evaluation and their surprise to see the XC90 out climb Hummer H2 (in street mode with is 4WD with unlocked diffs I think) not once but 3 times. That said, I don't think the XC90 is intended to be or marketed as a real off road vehicle (nor did I think the Cayenne was so what do I know?)

When you look at price alone you'll see you really can't compare these vehicles (I think a better comparison is the new high-end Range Rover but it'll probably get spanked at Nurburging by the Cayenne.

If you like the looks of the Cayenne and will spring for the off road package I suspect the Cayenne will have no peer.

-rollie

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

I will try to answer very briefly as we can beat this topic to death.

You are asking if the Cayenne is "better" than the XC90. I think you are comparing totally apples to oranges, here.

Sure, the Cayenne is a "hot rod" but is that what you are after? The Cayenne is a Porsche first, IMO, and then an SUV. So what if it has ten gazillion differentials? Are you going to be driving under these extreme conditions? Without being presumptious about your lifestyle, I doubt it. And that picture of the Cayenne "up in the air" is nice and impressive but if you watched Motor Trends SUV of the Year report on the Speed Channel, they had the XC90 in the exact same position and it [XC90] fared extremely well!

The Cayenne is undoubtedly a very sporty SUV (if those two can be combined, the Cayenne definitely has achieved that). But an SUV is supposed to be functional and the Cayenne certainly isn't, especially when compared with a very versatile SUV such as the XC90.

Two different cars, two different budgets too. If you are not planning on leasing, I would hate to guess the replacement cost of all the Porsche gadgetry when the Cayenne goes out of warranty...

BTW, have you ever asked a Porsche service advisor how much does it cost to replace brakes on a Porsche? http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Cayenne vs XC90 (rollie)

quote:

Umm...have you actually LOOKED at the Cayenne with your EYES? OK, I'll leave it alone since looks are subjective.

Regarding off road performance the XC90 does VERY well much to my surprise. If you check Motor Trend you'll see their off road evaluation and their surprise to see the XC90 out climb Hummer H2 (in street mode with is 4WD with unlocked diffs I think) not once but 3 times. That said, I don't think the XC90 is intended to be or marketed as a real off road vehicle (nor did I think the Cayenne was so what do I know?)

When you look at price alone you'll see you really can't compare these vehicles (I think a better comparison is the new high-end Range Rover but it'll probably get spanked at Nurburging by the Cayenne.

If you like the looks of the Cayenne and will spring for the off road package I suspect the Cayenne will have no peer.

-rollie
Hahahaha! Great minds think alike, Rollie! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Yannis

·
Registered
3,706 Posts

Welcome to Swedespeed!

Cayenne vs. XC90, that is an interesting comparison.

It sounds like the Cayenne offers very impressive off-road features.

If I were deciding, I would be asking myself some practical questions:

1.) Am I going to use any of those off-road features or are they going to go to waste? Almost 95% of SUV buyers don't take their SUV's off-road.

2.) Does it matter that the Cayenne is almost as fast as the BMW M5 around the Nurburging? Am I planning on racing my new SUV around a track or from a stoplight?

3.) Do I need an air-suspension that has 6-different settings?

4.) Do I want to buy a base model Cayenne when I can spend almost $10k less and get a fully loaded XC90 T6?

5.) Finally, of course looks are always subjective, but IMHO the Cayenne is a disgrace and would make Dr. Ferdinand Porsche roll-over in his grave.

Is the Porsche better than the Volvo? Most likely, but it all depends on what your priorities are.

Just my 02...

-Drew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Everyone is talking about price, I am thinking about the XC90 T6 vs Cayenne S.

XC90 T6 = $45,000 (loaded)

Cayenne S = $55,900

For me $10K the difference is no problem, my key is some off-road agility, safety, performance, cargo room, and etc. I need see more off-road pics from the XC90 T6. I am very open minded. I like both vehicles!

Chicagoland
'02 Volvo V70
'02 MB S-Class

[Modified by chicagoland, 10:05 PM 11-21-2002]

[Modified by chicagoland, 11:19 PM 11-21-2002]

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts

I think a more accurate comparison is the Volkswagen Touareg vs. the XC90. Since the Touareg is on the same platform as the Cayenne, you are talking similar equipment, with different motors and styling.

The VW will have a 3.2 VR6 and a 4.2 V8, in addition to a V10 TDI diesel.

I've driven the XC90 and we have two other staffers who've driven the Touareg. With the dash adjustable suspension (optional on the 6cyl VW), the Touareg is the more sporting on-road (probably second to the Porsche). Off-road the VW has an optional descent control much like the Range Rover. It's adjustable suspension and descent control probably make it superior off road (it's also got a locking differential). If you are a serious off-roader (speaking Moab like off-roading here), then I'd opt for the VW or the Porsche (personally for the VW because I think it's more attractive and it's cheaper).

Where the XC90 wins is on several levels. It's more affordable. It's larger, with three row seating and very adjustable seating meaning it all folds flat to the floor except for the driver's seat). It is also probably safer with engineering like RSC (rollover stability contro) , boron fused steel roof, and airbag curtain for all outboard passengers (all three rows). The Haldex awd is no slouch, though it has no locking diff. I personally believe the XC90 is better looking also (with the VW close behind).

We're going to do a comparison article as soon as the two vehicles are put in the press pool.

You can find more information on the VW here.
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/index_touareg_ms.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Cayenne vs XC90 ([email protected])

As I said before looks is not my issue, I like them both. I have my eyes on the VW version. The VW has 50/50 front/rear split as for the Cayenne its 38/62. My problem with VW version as while as the XC90 is ground clearance. The Cayenne is as high as 10.75. I plan on driving to the Aps and to Rubicon once a year.

Chicagoland
'02 Volvo V70
'02 MB S-Class

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Does anyone have details info about the XC90 off-road capabilities? For example: Approach angle, departure angle, any differentials? Please explain
the all wheel system to me in detail.

Thanks,

Chicagoland
'02 Volvo V70
'02 MB S-Class

[Modified by chicagoland, 12:51 AM 11-22-2002]

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Exterior View (chicagoland)

If ground clearence is an issue for you, I think the Range Rover is even better for the job. It has 11.1 in clearence in the highest setting, and matches the Porsche interms of offroad drive train capabilities.

Its no slug on the road too, although obviously not as fast as a porsche would be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Exterior View (xtremepsionic)

xtremepsionic:

I have test driven the new 2003 RR and had the vehicle for a weekend. Off-road I love, but the on-road - even with the BMW engine - No. The XC90 handles better than the RR. Don't try the moose avoidance with the RR. There are not places the RR can go the Cayenne not. Any off-road pics for the XC90?

Chicagoland
'02 Volvo V70
'02 MB S-Class

[Modified by chicagoland, 3:44 AM 11-22-2002]

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts

I'm too tired to search tonight, but if you look back through our archives, you can find info on the Haldex system, primarily when the S60 AWD was launched last year. Sorry, we don't have a good search function yet.

You can also search under Haldex AWD system on google and see what you come up with.

It's basically the same system as in the Audi TT also, so if you are searching, look on VWvortex.com and Audiworld.com as well for info on the TT's AWD system.

If you are doing Rubicon, as much as I love the XC90, I think I'd opt for the VW, Porsche or Range Rover. The XC90 has no locking differential, no low range and no descent control, all of which you'll probably need in a place like Rubicon.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts

quote:

Any off-road pics for the XC90?
I don't think that Volvo has released any off-road pics of the XC90 yet. IIRC, Volvo actually says that the XC90 is only intended for moderate off-road duty. So, if you want an SUV with max ground clearance, rock crawling ablility, adjustable suspension, driving through a foot of mud, and going on the Rubicon trail, I would forget about the XC90 all-together, and get the Cayenne or Range Rover. The XC90 was never intended for the Rubicon.

The XC90 uses Haldex AWD. It is FWD until slip is detected, by 1/7 wheel rotation, then transfers power to the rear or where power is needed.

-Drew

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.