SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my new XC90 yesterday and tried to move the second row seat to get to the third row. Once I came out of the car and tried to put it back, the top half of the seat remained in leaning forward position and would not unfold back to its original position. Tried to push hard a couple of times, still no response. So I naturally leaned forward behind the seat to see if anything got stuck back there and that is when the accident happened: The seat suddenly bent backward and the headrest hit the side of my head pretty hard. For a moment my ear felt hurt pretty bad, and side of my head felt pain. I am OK now (8 hours later), no serious injury, just some pain and tinkling feeling left. Hope they will reside soon.

Back to the seat issue, I tried again several times to move it forward and back. The top half of the seat seemed very stiff and not easy to put back, unless I push it backward really hard and fast in one big swing. That did not seem right to me to have to exert that much effort to put back a seat. Maybe my seat is too stiff or too tight and needs a break-in period? I will read the manual and try it some more. Just want to share this with everyone here and caution that whatever you do, DO NOT put yourself behind the seat when it is not fully locked in normal seating position, or you may get hurt like I did. The seat has some pretty powerful springs inside. DO NOT look behind the seat no matter how curious you get. Work from the side and stay out of the path of the seat's folding and unfolding actions.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Took delivery of my new XC90 yesterday and tried to move the second row seat to get to the third row. Once I came out of the car and tried to put it back, the top half of the seat remained in leaning forward position and would not unfold back to its original position. Tried to push hard a couple of times, still no response. So I naturally leaned forward behind the seat to see if anything got stuck back there and that is when the accident happened: The seat suddenly bent backward and the headrest hit the side of my head pretty hard. For a moment my ear felt hurt pretty bad, and side of my head felt pain. I am OK now (8 hours later), no serious injury, just some pain and tinkling feeling left. Hope they will reside soon.

Back to the seat issue, I tried again several times to move it forward and back. The top half of the seat seemed very stiff and not easy to put back, unless I push it backward really hard and fast in one big swing. That did not seem right to me to have to exert that much effort to put back a seat. Maybe my seat is too stiff or too tight and needs a break-in period? I will read the manual and try it some more. Just want to share this with everyone here and caution that whatever you do, DO NOT put yourself behind the seat when it is not fully locked in normal seating position, or you may get hurt like I did. The seat has some pretty powerful springs inside. DO NOT look behind the seat no matter how curious you get. Work from the side and stay out of the path of the seat's folding and unfolding actions.
Had to deal with the same issue. Got struck on the head, thankfully I have a thick skull lol!
This topic has been dealt with in this thread..http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...w-seats-getting-stuck&highlight=2nd+row+seats

There's a solution on how to fix it in the thread. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Another sign of the Great Machine Revolt I've already warned about! This is the first assault on a human. It won't be the last. Run for your lives!

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I took my car in today for the 3rd row airbag recall they also mentioned that another "issue" (I don't think they said recall) had to be fixed with the 2nd row seat folding mechanism. They are also fixing it today so I guess it doesn't take too long. I assume this is related to the issue raised here. No notifications have been mailed yet, according to my dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts