SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my transmission died on my 2000 V70R a few weeks ago (lost 3rd gear) and I'm not sure what to do. My usual repair shop is quoting me around $6200 for:

remanufactured transmission
transmission labor
reseal bevel/angle gear housing (and necessary maintenance while it is open)
replace cv joints
replace heater core (small but noticeable leak)
reseal engine near front end (it's leaking oil near the timing belt)

So it's still cheaper than buying another R (since another R would probably have other repairs). I'm hestitant to put more money into this car, because I just dumped a lot into a top end repair about a year ago (timing belt tensioner fail). The car is also sitting at 195K miles, which is a lot of miles.

So I could get the repair done and eat the cost, or I could get the minimum done and sell the car. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: Caught between a rock and a hard place (cout)

what color is it?

chilled man might be interested

but in all seriousness, that really sucks. although you might get some better responses in the s70/v70/v70xc forum, or even over on VS, as there are a lot more gen. 1 owners on there. i would say it would be a lot easier just to swap a manual transmission in there, there will be less problems with that compared to the auto. but if you decide you want an automatic still, do as you please. also chilled man has swapped a 5 speed manual in a 1999 v70r, i hope that is inspiration, lol. good luck!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Caught between a rock and a hard place (cout)

Quote, originally posted by cout »
So my transmission died on my 2000 V70R a few weeks ago (lost 3rd gear) and I'm not sure what to do. My usual repair shop is quoting me around $6200 for:

remanufactured transmission
transmission labor
reseal bevel/angle gear housing (and necessary maintenance while it is open)
replace cv joints
replace heater core (small but noticeable leak)
reseal engine near front end (it's leaking oil near the timing belt)

So it's still cheaper than buying another R (since another R would probably have other repairs). I'm hestitant to put more money into this car, because I just dumped a lot into a top end repair about a year ago (timing belt tensioner fail). The car is also sitting at 195K miles, which is a lot of miles.

So I could get the repair done and eat the cost, or I could get the minimum done and sell the car. Any thoughts?

That's way too much by about $2000.
If you can find someone to rebuild it, that should be $2500 to $2800, (incl labor).
Let's say another $1500 for the rest of the stuff.

BTW you're in the wrong forum, this is for the newer, P2 R's.
you should post in the 98-00 forum

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Caught between a rock and a hard place (t5p0wer)

The paint is silver.

Who is "chilled man"? (I'm fairly new to these forums -- still missing v70r.com)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Caught between a rock and a hard place (JRL)

Is rebuilding this transmission a good idea? I've heard many horror stories about transmission shops.

I didn't realize this forum was for P2-based models. A sticky might help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Caught between a rock and a hard place (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
BTW you're in the wrong forum, this is for the newer, P2 R's.
you should post in the 98-00 forum
Where is the 98-00 forum? I thought there was just an R forum on swedespeed?

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Technically this forum doesn't say this is only for P2 Rs....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: (adykes)

in the forum title it says it's for S60R's and V70R's.... and assuming you're connecting the dots.... P2

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
I'll stand by this until I die.

Go to http://www.car-part.com
Used transmissions for your car ranging from $250-$1500

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Re: (t5p0wer)

Quote, originally posted by t5p0wer »
in the forum title it says it's for S60R's and V70R's.... and assuming you're connecting the dots.... P2

Recall that there is a V70R that isn't a P2. So it's an honest assumption.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Re: (adykes)

Quote, originally posted by adykes »

Recall that there is a V70R that isn't a P2. So it's an honest assumption.

i understand, but what i meant by connecting the dots was S60 and V70. that's all

and that website looks like it's a great tool to have for anything that would go wrong with your car. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (t5p0wer)

This forum is not exclusively for P2 R's. Hell I allow enough crap to get posted in here regarding regional event / GTG's and Off Topic stuff that it really should be called the ROTF.

However, the '98 - '00 R's are part of the S70 / V70 / XC70 -01 group of cars and there are many more posters over there for the first generation of V70R.

So while this isn't the "wrong" forum to post in, you'll likely get a much better response from the other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
I'll stand by this until I die.

Go to http://www.car-part.com
Used transmissions for your car ranging from $250-$1500

How did you do the search? The "R" automatic transmission isn't the same as the other models (anyone know the right part number or where to search for it?).

I called one of the numbers that came up and they tried to sell me a 4-speed AW50-42LE.

Paul

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (cout)

Chilled Man - scavenger/reaper of all things Volvo. If you can drive the car and feel like having an 'interesting' weekend transmission swap, look him up.

-or-

here's a recent F/S post of his for a manual swap:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=118155

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.