SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticing the right rear brake show is catching. Unsure if it is disc or drum, but.. I was tempted to jack up the car, and clean out all the gunk/dirt. May this help things, and STOP the catching/noises? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The rear of your AWD uses a disc brake with an emergency drum brake in the hat of the rotor.

If you catch it early enough, you can remove the caliper, clean and re grease the slide pins, and resurrect it... IF the piston is not seized.

You may need a new caliper, or an entirely new rear brake job with new parts.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Sometimes you can just drive along at 30-50 mph and continually keep pulling up and down on the e- brake several times, sometimes this will remove the rust.

If not, it's disassembly time.

You could have bad, rusted, or broken e brakes shoes, your cable(s) could be rusty and need replacing (nasty litle job).

Try the pulling up deal while drivng first. If that doesn't help, it's time to take everything apart.
I can't tell you how many e-brakes I've had to repair

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yep - the e-brakes are generally junk at this age. You can completely remove the system, or replace it entirely with new cables, shoes, and hardware. It'll either need everything replaced, or everything removed.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Not true
I've had some where just one cable needed replacing or one shoe (at that time I replace both), but the point is that you need to inspect everything and see what's needed to repair

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If you are an automatic, Just ditch the entire E-brake system.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you are an automatic, Just ditch the entire E-brake system.
I gotta disagree! You must be a Cougar fan LOL!
Just get in there and clean and inspect, and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I gotta disagree! You must be a Cougar fan LOL!
Just get in there and clean and inspect, and replace if necessary.
stripped the entire system out of my '98 back in about 2000. Kept getting rocks stuck in it (gravel driveway). Haven't had a single problem since, or even a single time where I wish I had it. Plus, it's fun to freak passengers out on the highway with it.

and heck yes, Go Cougs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts