1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a serviceable oil catch can. So here are the questions:
1. Which one did you get?
2. Where did you install it?
3. Where is it hooked up in to the plumbing?
4. Did you remove the stock one?

Pictures would be very appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Talk to Ben at Rolling Motors. He's been putting in some really nice setups with nice catch cans and using Volvo hoses. He can prob sell you a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Watertown CT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Resuming this thread. In the mean time I found answers to my questions but one thing that is mentioned in one place is the risk of freezing.
The OEM out of the engine path is heated by the engine coolant pipe packed closely. Installing a catch can close to the left hand suspension tower (looks like that is the preferred location) would place the can and the hoses far away from the engine.

So what is your experience with freezing during winter months?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So no one had any problems with icing when using catch cans?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Installed mine near RH strut tower. It's in line with the PTC element off the turbo inlet hose. I basically used bulk heater hose and this catch can. All components are per below links...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172467848160

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO93HA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2WEIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And some hose clamps.

With the size of the plumbing and minimal collection of fluid, I don't expect any issues in the Winter, but we shall see as Winter is coming and it will be the first one with this setup. Keep in mind that you are not forcing fluid through this stuff, just gas and after a few minutes of the engine running it's going to be above freezing.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
So no one had any problems with icing when using catch cans?
Nope, I never had my catch can ice over, or even threaten to ice over. I also live in Florida. These facts may not be related.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep in mind that you are not forcing fluid through this stuff, just gas and after a few minutes of the engine running it's going to be above freezing.
I know it is oil vapor but it can also be water vapor. The can will condense that. There is a reason why Volvo packed a coolant pipe with the PCV hose.

Some engine do have this icing problem. I'm glad that the R does not have it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It's the amount that you need to be concerned with... I empty my can at every oil change and hardly get anything out of it. If it were full of water that would be a different story.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I run the Mishimoto Compact catch can.... placement & routing credit goes to Ben. It’s completely out of sight with the air box inlet installed. I routed the output back to the intake pipe with modified PTC in place.

Frozen condensation is probably an issue in the Sweden & the Nordic’s, but likely not in NA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
^Looking good Neal. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, looks good.

Let me know if I got it right: you stripped the PCV pipe from the water pipe and replaced it with a hose that goes first to the can and then to the intake. This way you keep the route short and no hoses hanging on top of the transmission.

I was thinking of keeping the OEM pipes but re-routing the PCV pipe exit to the can placed somewhere on the firewall above the turbo. That will minimize the added length to the PCV piping compared to the suspension tower location and keep the can/hoses toasty and stuff fluid. Has anyone done it that way or do you see a problem? Too much heat?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Yes, looks good.

Let me know if I got it right: you stripped the PCV pipe from the water pipe and replaced it with a hose that goes first to the can and then to the intake. This way you keep the route short and no hoses hanging on top of the transmission.

I was thinking of keeping the OEM pipes but re-routing the PCV pipe exit to the can placed somewhere on the firewall above the turbo. That will minimize the added length to the PCV piping compared to the suspension tower location and keep the can/hoses toasty and stuff fluid. Has anyone done it that way or do you see a problem? Too much heat?
You’ve got it. I ran mine as you’ve proposed for a long time and it worked fine.... it was vented to atmosphere for simplicity and the cam was mounted on against the firewall on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yes, RH side of vehicle. I say that vs passenger side to avoid confusion for those who drive on the RH side of vehicle.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yes, looks good.

I can tell you that my turbo will nuke stuff placed near it so I personally avoid that location. All my lines are wrapped with header wrap... prior to that it heat aged and split an oil line.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I can tell you that my turbo will nuke stuff placed near it so I personally avoid that location. All my lines are wrapped with header wrap... prior to that it heat aged and split an oil line.
Put a blanket on that thing Andy!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts