SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i started noticing something recently, when i start the R on cold starts i can hear ticking under the car where the catalyzer is and smoke comes out of it, when the rpms drop back down the smoke is gone and the ticking quiets down a bit. If i open the hood when the car cold starts ( cold weather ) i can see smoke coming from the downpipe/catalizer area up to the engine bay but it doesnt come from the turbo at all.

The downpipe is tight on the turbo so no leak there, is my catalyzer leaking ? i cant seem to see any holes whatsoever and i cant really see properly unless i take the whole exhaust off.

It also makes this tick/leaking noise when driving if i press on the accelerator with windows down, i can hear it very clearly that there is a leak if for exemple when iam next to a wall and i press on the throttle the sound bounces so its very clear.

Am i looking at a new catalyzer ? From what area could the catalyzer be leaking, i can see smoke exiting from all around the cat on warm up.

any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Probably exhaust manifold gasket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Way to find an exhaust leak for sure is to get a small hose, put one end up to your ear hole and the other around the joints that might be leaking. If there is a leak, you will know for sure when you get the end of the hose around it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Way to find an exhaust leak for sure is to get a small hose, put one end up to your ear hole and the other around the joints that might be leaking. If there is a leak, you will know for sure when you get the end of the hose around it.
ill give that a try when i can, thanks !

Will also check manifold leak

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Manofild gaskets pretty much disintegrate on these cars at high mileage. Lift car and inspect exhausted while running from underneath. A leak will be very obvious if it's coming from the cat or dp. BTW not trying to be an ass but it's not a "catalyzer" it's a catalytic converter or for short "cat".

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Manofild gaskets pretty much disintegrate on these cars at high mileage. Lift car and inspect exhausted while running from underneath. A leak will be very obvious if it's coming from the cat or dp. BTW not trying to be an ass but it's not a "catalyzer" it's a catalytic converter or for short "cat".

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6
Thanks for the point out, i will check more in dept when it's less cold outside ( -25celcius atm ), the leak will wait at this temperature hehe, thanks for the help guys i should be able to find the issue later with these informations, im almost certain that it comes from the cat though because i see the smoke coming out of it on cold start but ill check exhaust manif anyways ill most likely retighten all the nuts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts