SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice. My 2004 C70 is throwing the Catalytic converter code and my mechanic informs me that it needs to be replaced, but I'm not in the mood to spend over $1000 on an OEM. Had anybody had any experience with an aftermarket cc? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
First, you should definitely replace it with SOMETHING, as it could be clogged and jamming up the system.

Next, do you live in a place with regular emission testing? If so then you need something that works. If not, an o2 sensor spacer like this and a piece of welded in pipe will solve your problems indefinitely.

You can also just get a used downpipe and use it until the cat dies in it too.

I tried an aftermarket magnaflow cat in mine and it still threw a CEL so I had to do the spacer trick as well. I can't recommend it as I don't know if it cleans my exhaust. Last emission test, the tech saw that my rims stick out past my tires, and elected to pass me based on OBD testing, so they wouldn't damage them on the dyno. On the other hand, my exhaust smells clean.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, you should definitely replace it with SOMETHING, as it could be clogged and jamming up the system.

Next, do you live in a place with regular emission testing? If so then you need something that works. If not, an o2 sensor spacer like this and a piece of welded in pipe will solve your problems indefinitely.

You can also just get a used downpipe and use it until the cat dies in it too.

I tried an aftermarket magnaflow cat in mine and it still threw a CEL so I had to do the spacer trick as well. I can't recommend it as I don't know if it cleans my exhaust. Last emission test, the tech saw that my rims stick out past my tires, and elected to pass me based on OBD testing, so they wouldn't damage them on the dyno. On the other hand, my exhaust smells clean.
OK. I called around and I've been told that the OEM part is a 3 way catalytic converter and any aftermarket traditional converter will eventually fail and throw a code. Are they just blowing smoke (no pun intended) or is this correct. The damn thing is going to cost me $1000 just for the part.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Like I said, you can avoid the code with an O2 spacer. And the car blows regular exhaust, an aftermarket cat is not going to fail prematurely or anything. The only question is whether or not it will clean up the exhaust enough to pass your local emissions.

I'd start shopping used, they last a really long time. I have one in my garage but I'm not selling it in case I need to pass emissions in the future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, you can avoid the code with an O2 spacer. And the car blows regular exhaust, an aftermarket cat is not going to fail prematurely or anything. The only question is whether or not it will clean up the exhaust enough to pass your local emissions.

I'd start shopping used, they last a really long time. I have one in my garage but I'm not selling it in case I need to pass emissions in the future.
Thanks Lloyd.

I was reading a little more and it seems that an exhaust leak may cause the code to be thrown. I do have a leak in the exhaust but it's after the cat at the first bracket before the muffler. Engine------Cat----leak----Muffler. would this be an issue? Also where is the rear O2 Sensor located?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Rear O2 sensor is located on the catalytic converter itself about halfway through it. Here's a picture, stock exhaust on top:

Any exhaust leak past that would not affect it in the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts