SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has enyone used the lower priced Volvo replacement cat conv (8551976-7) on a car? I replaced mine and the core melted and was replaced on warranty after less than a year. Now the second one has clogged up!

Has anyone else had any similar problem

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Cat Problems (gdill2)

George:

The check engine light was not on before this happened and the car ran fine. I know that's not what you asked but, I believe the problem is with the quality of the reduced price replacement and wanted to find out if anyone used them with or with out problems. I did have some codes set and they had nothing to do with the cat. I reset them (one each on the rex and regina) and will check to see if any come up after driving the car tomorow.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: Cat Problems (VolvoBob)

From the Bosch Automotive Handbook:

"As the maximum operating temperature [of a catalytic converter] is reached just slightly above 1000 C, the units are generally installed at a less critical location under the floor of the vehicle. Engine malfuntions, such as ignition miss, can cause the temperature in the catalytic converter to increase to the point where the substrate melts, resulting in the destruction of the unit."

- 3rd Edition, page 481.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts