SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how much cash to order and in what denominations?

We will be driving through Sweden (obviously), mostly Norway, and some Denmark (including Oresund bridge).

·
Registered
7,476 Posts

We will be driving through Sweden (obviously), mostly Norway, and some Denmark (including Oresund bridge).
None...use your credit cards and ATM. Make sure that your PIN is 4-char.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sign up for a Charles Schwab bank account and withdraw from any ATM. Schwab account has Free ATM withdraws, they credit your account back the atm fees.

Also Capital One credit card has no foriegn transaction fees.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Try reading #2 here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?157166-Travel-Tips-Things-you-might-not-have-thought-of!

Use no foreign fee credit cards whenever possible. Use no fee ATM/debit cards to withdraw cash. Do not withdraw large amounts as you will need different currency in each country. The first couple of tolls in Norway [on the road to Oslo] did allow the use of SKK. Be sure you understand how tolls work.

We only took out approx $100 cash in local currency at a time. If we had any left when we were finally leaving the country, we would apply whatever cash we had towards our last dinner and then put the balance on the credit card. That way, we never had any leftover cash. Keep in mind if you are flying home via Copenhagen or Stockholm, you might want a bit a currency to spend at airport, but again, you can use credit card if need be.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that while the bridge from Denmark to Sweden has a toll, I don't believe any of the roads in either country has tolls. Norway, as mentioned above does have tolls. You can buy a pass http://www.autopass.no/Visitors/Visitors'+Payment and you can actually pay at gas stations by the exits. Truth be told, we couldn't find a way to pay for one unmanned toll and we went through the pass lane. Almost 1 year later, no citation/bill has come to us for it. Not advocating it, but we couldn't find a way to pay. We stopped at a rest area,where we thought we could pay and no one was working there at the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We did bring some Swedish cash from home to have some when we arrived for tipping. We also brought some euros since we were in Paris for a few days, but basically so we could tip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
we also opened a Charles Schwab account and used the debit card...no atm fees at all, it was great, and it worked everywhere. Used a credit card that did not charge foreign transaction fees; it was a swipe and sign card, we just told the cashiers we needed to swipe and we never had a problem with that either. Ordered a hundred euro or so in local currency for each country (Sweden, Norway, Denmark) just to have in hand when we entered each country--you don't want to be driving from Sweden to Norway and find out there's a cash-only pay-right-now toll and have no Norwegian cash on you! And we signed up for the Norwegian auto-pass system that Deb mentions; you can set it up to draw the tolls automatically from your credit card for a defined period (ie, while you're expecting to be in Norway). It was quite easy and we never gave those tolls another thought.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This may be a silly question, but we took a look at the Norwegian Auto Pass website for visitors.

http://www.autopass.no/Visitors/Visitors'+Payment

■Register your credit card online at Visitors´ payment and create a prepaid account. You decide the duration of the agreement period. Maximum agreement time is three months.
■You don’t need a tag for this payment arrangement. When you pass through a toll plaza, the licence plate is photographed (indicated by orange or no signal) and a deduction is made from your prepaid account.

So they are able to track your account through the Sweden tag?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
This may be a silly question, but we took a look at the Norwegian Auto Pass website for visitors.

http://www.autopass.no/Visitors/Visitors'+Payment

■Register your credit card online at Visitors´ payment and create a prepaid account. You decide the duration of the agreement period. Maximum agreement time is three months.
■You don’t need a tag for this payment arrangement. When you pass through a toll plaza, the licence plate is photographed (indicated by orange or no signal) and a deduction is made from your prepaid account.

So they are able to track your account through the Sweden tag?
Sure, why not...but you would need to know your new license plate...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I ran into the Norway toll road problem - figured there would be a toll booth and there was none. Their system works with transponders - and if you drive through without a transponder they take a picture of your car (and license plate). I think you have up to 14 days afterwards to pay - easiest may be on-line, which is what I did once in Norway. (You have to know your plate which you won't know until you pickup the car!)

Asking at the FDC when I turned the car in ... they said I didn't have to do that ... that if they got the invoice from the Norway toll road they take care of it.

In Stockholm there is a congestion charge. It is a similar system as to London - when you drive into certain areas of the city they take pictuers of all vehicles and record the license plates. I found no way to deal with that - and again in asking at the FDC when I turned in the car they said not to worry about it ... no problems. (The plate may be exempt as I read it.)

Lastly - back on topic - unless you're going to a country where the electronic banking is weak and you immediately need cash ... don't waste your time with getting foreign funds - and certainly not with traveler's checks. When you get into an airport find an ATM and take some local currency out.

Also note that Denmark, Sweden and Norway all have their own units of currency - so you'll need to do this in each country you visit. In some cases - like the toll bridge from Malmo to Copenhagen - they'll take multiple currencies ... and I think I may have even used a credit card when I went across it last time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts