SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpPWawUPKyE

Not a great showing for the S60 but understandable against this tough competition in the sports sedan category. They tested the R-design so it must have had the sports chassis standard bc this was a European build. Looks like the they also tested the T5 FWD but all of the other cars also had the lower end engine tested. There was no criticism for lack of power. The A4 was also FWD and the 3 series was a 320 diesel with less than 200 hp.

S60 is def one of the best looking cars in the category with the most comfortable seats by far. Personally, Volvo should not have marketed this car as a sports sedan. It's more of a comfortable luxury commuter car and the target buyer is also different.

I agree with some of the reviewer's sentiments. Volvo messed up big time with the ultra numb, high ratio, light steering. In many ways it's worse than my 2017 V60. That car has a much quicker ratio and i may be in the minority here but...is much more fun to drive/toss around. I even get a decent amount of steering feedback in that car.

The S60 feels big, heavy and bulky. I don't think the suspension set up is as bad as the review claims- it's a pretty decent compromise between sport/luxury-leaning more towards a luxury set up which i guess hurts it in this test.

Also, this was not addressed but the build quality has noticeably deteriorated from Swedish/Belgian built Volvo's.

I recently went out and took the 330i on an hour long test drive and was left really impressed. May end up trading in the S60 as the 330i just suits my driving style much better. I'll be sure to do a full comparison if i do. And I'll def have to get my wife the V60 because otherwise i'll be dreaming of those seats.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Eh, at the end of the day it's preference. What the cost to value is as you the consumer. I've watched a million videos of comparisons between Volvo and other luxury brands. This is the S60s first year in the spa line up, so I'd expect "brand guys" to dog it in a lot of these videos. Yes there's some touching up build wise they can probably address in future model releases but overall I'm happy with the quality.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Eh, at the end of the day it's preference. What the cost to value is as you the consumer. I've watched a million videos of comparisons between Volvo and other luxury brands. This is the S60s first year in the spa line up, so I'd expect "brand guys" to dog it in a lot of these videos. Yes there's some touching up build wise they can probably address in future model releases but overall I'm happy with the quality.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, 100% agree with you. There really is no "bad" car in this category anymore. Each car is a compromise in terms of luxury/sport/comfort/driving dynamics etc. Really depends on each person's preference and driving style. I would be happy driving any one of these cars as my daily commuter. What the S60 lacks in steering feel/sportiness - it excels in comfort and luxury. The Giulia is pure sport without much luxury or comfort. The others are a combination of everything and the 330i has great steering and suspension but may not be the most comfortable.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Fact is the S60 ain't a sports saloon and it was never meant to be. It's meant to be the best "all-rounder" which, in my opinion, is exactly what it is for the price *in the right spec*. Comparing the FWD Volvo to the RWD of the others when we're talking sports saloons is just...well....dumb.

A better comparison would be compare them at the higher specs, AWD, to AWD, tailored dashboard to tailored dashboard. To me that's where this generation S60 really shines. Not just saying which is a better sports car....that's silly. I mean yes if that's your priority buy the BMW by all means!

Also just saying...spec'ing out the 330i to even try and match my car's features brings it to an MSRP almost $4,000 higher as well. The Mercedes? $8,000 more.

·
Registered
976 Posts
These Euro comparison tests are tough to gauge for us north americans, the drivetrain options vary so widely. The T5 Volvo had a good showing on engine power but here you would be comparing the gas turbo 4 options, where ignoring price for a minute you have all the others checking in around 250hp and in general much quicker than the T5 S60 whether they are lighter or the German horses are just stronger! But the T5 compares with the lowest end models, FWD A4, stripper 330i, so I think you still get a good value there. And there is room to compare the T6 which prices out to the more loaded up AWD 4 banger germans, while not quite into the M340i pricing territory for example it gives you a sort of in between step where the 316hp T6, pushing the heavy AWD S60, compares very well with the turbo 4 Germans.

What is pretty clear to me, if this chap is to be trusted, is that the AWD must add a whole lot of balance to the S60. I have not found that the front end gives up at all like its overworking the front tires, in the AWD S60. I've driven almost all sport compacts in my life, and I know what FWD push is like. The rear tires on my SRT-4 were almost not needed on the track LOL. The AWD S60 doesn't even work the front end like a WRX, it's better balanced than that. Not RWD chassis balanced but definitely not bad if you are used to sported up economy cars like I am!

Real life situation for someone like me...all those others were out of reach, the last 3 series was crap and the new one was too new for lease deals, Audi A4 and Giulia deals had gone away, didn't really consider the c-class. When the Costco deal hit, the Volvo was just something I could stretch a tiny bit to, so I took the ooportunity on the condition I could get the sport chassis! When I see a comparo like this it's like "The lesser version of your S60 compared to some cars you couldn't possibly afford" so it's interesting to watch but not relevant to what I was dealing with when I actually went to the market to purchase a car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
These Euro comparison tests are tough to gauge for us north americans, the drivetrain options vary so widely. The T5 Volvo had a good showing on engine power but here you would be comparing the gas turbo 4 options, where ignoring price for a minute you have all the others checking in around 250hp and in general much quicker than the T5 S60 whether they are lighter or the German horses are just stronger! But the T5 compares with the lowest end models, FWD A4, stripper 330i, so I think you still get a good value there. And there is room to compare the T6 which prices out to the more loaded up AWD 4 banger germans, while not quite into the M340i pricing territory for example it gives you a sort of in between step where the 316hp T6, pushing the heavy AWD S60, compares very well with the turbo 4 Germans.

What is pretty clear to me, if this chap is to be trusted, is that the AWD must add a whole lot of balance to the S60. I have not found that the front end gives up at all like its overworking the front tires, in the AWD S60. I've driven almost all sport compacts in my life, and I know what FWD push is like. The rear tires on my SRT-4 were almost not needed on the track LOL. The AWD S60 doesn't even work the front end like a WRX, it's better balanced than that. Not RWD chassis balanced but definitely not bad if you are used to sported up economy cars like I am!

Real life situation for someone like me...all those others were out of reach, the last 3 series was crap and the new one was too new for lease deals, Audi A4 and Giulia deals had gone away, didn't really consider the c-class. When the Costco deal hit, the Volvo was just something I could stretch a tiny bit to, so I took the ooportunity on the condition I could get the sport chassis! When I see a comparo like this it's like "The lesser version of your S60 compared to some cars you couldn't possibly afford" so it's interesting to watch but not relevant to what I was dealing with when I actually went to the market to purchase a car.
I agree 100%, the t6 awd specially with sport chassis & polestar & driven in dynamic acts nothing like a fwd car, it is so well balanced & the steering is perfectly weighed, really the closest impression of a rwd car, love it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just left BMW, specifically a 428 gran coupe. This go around BMW was making a concerted effort to really rook its customers. Leases are no longer competitive/affordable. Every safety feature was unavailable on anything but a loaded car. Found the S60 to be a better fit for my needs. Sure more of a lux than a sport but sporty enough that it doesn't make a difference. BMWs aren't an old E46 any more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts