SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite knowing my V50 inside and out, I have a new mechanical problem I'm at a loss to tackle... having twins this summer and I need to get them 3-across in the back seat with my 4 year old. Anyone pulled this off? The big kid's current convertible seat and her old infant seat already don't fit side by side, so they're out. I'm going to put her in some kind of new booster (she's small so she still needs a harness one for now) and then get two new infant seats.

For the above reasons and my lack of shop access I'm also done doing most maintenance myself. Car needs front/rear brakes, rotors, and tires, and at 102k honestly rear shocks too. Street price in Brooklyn looks like well upwards of $2k for all that (using non performance parts and reasonable tires) at a decent independent shop. If that seems way off base other data points would be appreciated before I pull the trigger. Putting off the timing belt and AC compressor (it's doing the hot weather clutch slip thing) until next summer.

(Of course the easy solution to all of the above would be to trade it in on a minivan and move back to the suburbs, but what fun is that)

·
Registered
634 Posts
3 across carseats is a challenge, I'd go for 3 rows of seating and teach the 4-y/o to buckle herself in the back row. Having twins is pretty tough, even if you do have a minivan...

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Holy sh!t! someone with my same problems!
I have twins and a 4yo (twins are 2 now).

I load all 3 of them up in my S40 every day.
It sucks while they're rear facing but once they get to be forward facing it's golden.

For the infants, when they were infants, it was a regular car seat (4yo) and two Chico Keyfits + their bases (lifts them up about 3-4") which you need with a normal middle kid seat.

When they were too big and I had to ditch the keyfits, I bought three of the Diono Radian 3R All In Ones (from like 30-150lb seats I think, from rear facing to forward to booster convertibles), it's been surpassed in model name by now but it's the same seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much! It's reassuring to hear how other people made anything about this work.

I registered for two of the Keyfits since I'd read they tend to be the narrowest. Now that my daughter is 4 I think we'll put her in something like the Cosco Finale—a 5-point harness booster that converts to belt booster once she weighs more. She could sit in the all in one convertible she's been in for another year or two but it happens to be a huge, wide kit of parts so may as well start with a clean slate.

Now with that sorted, I need to do something about our two bedroom, third floor walkup apartment...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The slipping AC compressor clutch can likely be fixed by removing the correct sized shim to adjust the clutch plate spacing back to spec. Look for the write up in the stickies. It is something you can do yourself with a rented clutch tool and tools to remove the front passenger tire. Not too difficult and much cheaper than clutch or AC compressor replacement. Good luck with the twins....

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Now with that sorted, I need to do something about our two bedroom, third floor walkup apartment...
Get Swol! Expect to get some shoulders/biceps out of the deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts