SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question:

I just got my hands on an HU-801, amp, and center channel from an '00 T6. My girlfriend's brother has an '00 2.9 with the HU-601.

I understand that his car will have a power plug under the passenger seat for the amplifier, but is the DIN cable for audio pre-wired under the seat too? Will I have to source my own and run it up to the 801 once installed? (And possibly programmed at the dealer)

Also: The T6 has Dynaudio speakers (If not Dynaudio, better speakers?) whereas the 2.9 with the HU-601 will not, correct?

Slowly learning the ins and outs of the S80, it's been a fun experience for sure!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If it's like the 613 vs an 803 or a 650 vs an 850 conversion (which I just did)...
You will need to buy EVERYTHING (try www.erievovo.com for used)

You will need the AMP, the AMP Harness, a center speaker (and possibly the speaker harness).

I'm not sure about S80 radios, the 07 XC that I converted had a built in center speaker harness, all I needed was the speaker.
For it to sound right you also will need some software to let the car know it has the upgraded stereo, (I found that out the hard way)!

Also the door panels are probably different (they are in S60s and V70s) so it's a lot more than just bolting Dynaaudio speakers, (won't fit).
I went with aftermarket speakers and finally after the software it sounds terrific (awful before the software downloads, everything in the internal EQ was out of whack).
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thank you! Good info.

I have the whole T6 at my disposal, so I'll go strip the audio parts tomorrow I suppose. He shouldn't need anything else except a dealer programming. I think the door panels are still available as well so perhaps the Dynaudios will be feasible too!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
. I think the door panels are still available as well so perhaps the Dynaudios will be feasible too!
If the interior color is the same, yes they will work
Remember he/you will probably need that radio software installed (I just did this last week and it's a HUGE sound difference when done).

I say probably, the pre 05 cars have a totally different electrical system. You would need to install everything and see how it sounds

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Passed on the door panels yesterday, they were in great shape but the Dynaudios were riveted into the door and I wasn't about to deal with that in 95 degree heat :(.

Other than that, I got everything needed for the upgrade! The BIL is still considering it - he might not be willing to get rid of his factory system just yet. Mainly because he doesnt want to have to pay for the VIDA work needed once its installed. This might be for sale soon.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW: The audio harness for the amp was completely separate from the factory harnesses, which made it a straightforward job. Definitely something someone could do to complete the upgrade in an afternoon. Seemed just as easy as the SC-901 upgrade in the P80 cars, except easier since the whole dash doesn't need to be replaced for the center channel!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
FWIW: The audio harness for the amp was completely separate from the factory harnesses, which made it a straightforward job. Definitely something someone could do to complete the upgrade in an afternoon.
Afternoon?
I installed the radio, amp and center speaker in about 25-30 minutes
Since I couldn't use R door panels, the speaker job was farmed out to the stereo shop

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah, an afternoon for someone who isn't mechanically inclined and is going in the first time, carefully. :p Anyone else, under an hour easily. The worst part would be unbolting the passenger seat and tilting it back, and that's not even hard.

Really wish I had an S80 (first person to ever say that?) so I could use all this stuff, I like the looks of it a lot. Probably sounds better than it looks.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Sounds the same as an HU 803 (which is pretty decent)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts