SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend sent me this .gif of cars crashing at 125 mph. Found something familiar at 5 seconds in.
(If you want a closer look, you can open the link and then right-click on the image and then click "show controls" so you can go to a specific time)

http://i.imgur.com/AMnKigF.gifv
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$^}^,^~!\€%\?|€~¥!!!!!!! Looked like a daam rocket strike
Seriously! It makes you realize how much of a false sense of security you can get in a "safe" car. Oh, it's very safe at reasonable speeds, but when you're really letting loose on a highway or something, just about no safety feature in the world will help you. Drive safe :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
F=ma and KE=1/2mv^2 are fickle mistresses... Especially when "a" is large and negative, "v" is large and "m" is a few thousand kg.

·
Registered
921 Posts
F=ma and KE=1/2mv^2 are fickle mistresses... Especially when "a" is large and negative, "v" is large and "m" is a few thousand kg.
Yeap. It's that little "2" above the Velocity that kills.

Let's say a P2 V70R weighs 4,000lbs with the driver and passenger (or a driver and some groceries, whatever). Here's your Kinetic Energy in Joules at 65mph vs. 125mph. I just made this graph in Excel for fun cause I like graphs. :facepalm:

The car was designed to keep you safe at normal highway speeds (e.g. under 65mph), in practical situations (Volvo studies real life car accidents in their cars to make their cars safer, and has since the 1970s).

But when you exert nearly four times as much energy on the vehicle by traveling at double the velocity, well... the car wasn't designed for that.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Poor Paul wasn't actually killed by the impact, unfortunately it appears both him and the driver died from being burnt to death from the fire from the ruptured fuel tank.

The idea of a fire after a wreck scares me more than death from impact trauma does, being permanently knocked unconscious seems much more preferable to burning alive. I know a couple different people that got burned up pretty bad from barely escaping from their burning wrecks.

To put that 125 MPH crash energy into another type of energy perspective, a standard stick of TNT contains about 1MJ of energy, so that's about the equivalent of blowing up about 3% of a stick.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Exponents kill.
Not to make light of the matter, but Jesus hound, you made me spit out my coffee "exponents kill"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't you go bringing Newton into this... I'm electrical, I refuse the existence of this information. If it's not P=VI, I'm not interested :p lol

But seriously, five's graph really puts it into perspective. Once again, drive safe!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Don't you go bringing Newton into this... I'm electrical, I refuse the existence of this information. If it's not P=VI, I'm not interested :p lol

But seriously, five's graph really puts it into perspective. Once again, drive safe!
Mechanical FTW :D Is everyone who owns an R an engineer? Because I'm 75% sure that is the case.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was a thread many years back (first gen owners) where someone asked that very question. The conclusion was basically what you've determined. MANY R owners are engineers. I've always found it really interesting. I would guess there are several contributing factors to this being true. I contribute it to engineering minds thinking similarly when looking for a car. Specifically, they are looking for something fun and fast, but also professional. They are looking for something mechanically interesting and unique. They are looking for the most capable vehicle (AWD, power, manual trans available). If you consider the price point and the segment, the R just kind of becomes the obvious choice, once you know about it.

For instance, when I was searching for a car after changing jobs, I started looking for something full-size AWD sedan. So the obvious vehicles came up: Mazdaspeed 6, Subaru Legacy, Volvo S60, Ford Fusion, BMX 3##xi, Ford Taurus SHO, Infiniti G35x, etc. When I first started looking, I went to buy a Ford Fusion AWD but the clown at the dealer wouldn't cooperate and get a Fusion spec'd out the way I wanted it on their lot, so I passed on it. Then, in the midst of waiting to hear about the Fusion, I started focusing my search on more powerful vehicles. The Mazdaspeed 6 was my focus at that point. Every couple days I would use Autotrader and just search "Sedan, AWD, under $20k" and see what could be had. When a S60R popped up, it really piqued my interest for all the reasons I gave above. At that point, I was equally looking for an S60R and a Mazdaspeed 6. Neither had much locally available. Finally, my S60R popped up about 30 minutes from where I lived and when I checked it out and drove it, I was hooked.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Fellas sorry to thread crap but I can't get a single answer on my other post. Does anyone know for certainty if the R comes with the anchor slots for 4 point harnesses?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fellas sorry to thread crap but I can't get a single answer on my other post. Does anyone know for certainty if the R comes with the anchor slots for 4 point harnesses?
Just bump your other thread. Once it falls off the front page, it's easy to have it get lost.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts

Ask Ronald, IIRC he was adding harness to his VR.

I was pretty certain most R owners were engineers when I bought it from an engineer who had purchased it from his friend/1st owner, also an engineer. And I'm almost an engineer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts