SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I have plans to put a carputer in the s40, so the first bit is getting the damned GPS screen to work with the extra laptop I have around. I think I will be able to sort most of everything else out, but connecting the actual screen, so far nothing. I have the CCFL's working (backlights), but I need some insight how monitor connections might work from someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

The connection for the laptop is a 30 pin flat ribbon as is the one on the Volvo GPS unit. Are there different cable pinnings that might be the case here? If so, how would I go about identifying them? Any thoughts or words of advice. I figured this would be a simple hookup, but I can't tell if the issue is the temporary connections that I have or if there is a coding/pinning issue.

Laptop cable with the extension for the backlight. Top is to computer, bottom is to monitor.

Close up of the laptop cable end (monitor side). It is much thicker than the Volvo unit.

The Volvo ribbon cable (also 30 pin) that goes from the lower unit to the monitor.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
453 Posts
Isn't the Volvo GPS unit just some generic Garmin? I would start by trying to figure out what screen Garmin uses in their device/the specific Volvo device, then pull the datasheet for that screen to see what its pinout is.

EDIT: The hardware is Mitsubishi? Maybe you can open up the screen or inspect it for a part number that you can pull a datasheet on.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yea, the board on the back of the screen is a mitsubishi unit. Seems to be a model number: N927L59310. I'll have a picture of the several numbers on the back of the screen in a second. What would you call these cables anyways, I get horrible results for 30 pin laptop display cable, and variations. Is there an actual name?

Edit: where did you find that info Ion?

Edit2, off topic: This looks awesome: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/467601328/Volvo_GPS_Monitor_for_S40.html

·
Registered
453 Posts
Can you double-check that part number or look for another one? I don't get anything useful searching for it.

Your laptop has an LVDS 30 pin connector, you can buy controllers here for example: http://store.earthlcd.com/LCD-Products/LCD-Controller-Cards. I'm not sure what the Nav screen is considering it didn't work when you connected your laptop to the Nav's 30 pin cable. Maybe it's worth double-checking your connections.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the picture of the actual picture of the back of the screen. The N927L59310 part number was on the mitsubishi chipset behind the screen.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to do a lot more research on this then. To the Google!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts